looking for a new ride, KDX, KTM, YZF??

dom

Dec 31, 2001
Fred T said:
I will e mail you what I think, I'm not here to cause trouble.

If you're 250 is a 2T please post up. I'm sure you can make comparisons to the KDX without disparaging it. IMHO the KDX is a great bike but I know that _I_ will be faster on a pumpkin.

If you still don't want to post up, PM me at let me know why you chose a 250 instead of a 200 or 300.

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
Sean-
It sounds like you've made up your mind, or close too it. There is nothing wrong with a KDX that a little $ can't fix. Mine is certainly not lacking in the power department; it is me and the suspension.

Have you considered a plain 'ole YZ 250? Talk about reliable and good in the woods and on the track!

My KDX is downright scary on an MX track. :yikes:

Karl

Tomck

Feb 13, 2004
Fred T said:
I will e mail you what I think, I'm not here to cause trouble.

Fred T,

Did not mean to put you in an awkward situation. I have read good things about the KDX as a trail bike, but many KDX riders seem to buy KTMs. I am especially interested in your 2005 KTM 250. Please e-mail me at trlridert@a#l.com. Thanks.

Tom

gargamel6

Oct 19, 2004
I gotta say my mind is changing every minute!!
I ride the trails, but am getting more interested in the track. I consider myself to be confident on the trails. not too terribly fast, but not slow. The track, well it scares me. Thats the draw I guess. I see myself spending alot of time there in the future. I'm on the east coast (DC suburbs to be exact), no real crazy hills. What do I want? I want the best of both worlds. I want to fool around in the woods, and still be able to go to the track. I want a bike that I won't want to sell in a few months. First I was considering 4-stroke MX bikes and KTM exc's. I then came upon the deal of the year on a 04 KDX. I all but decided I would get the KDX. I dont want to fool around with costly repairs/ maintenance on one of the new 4 strokes. I then started to think. What if I just bought a new 2 stroke MX bike. Everyone I talk to say it would be easier to gear a MX bike toward trails, than the KDX toward the track. Long story short...I am dealing with 2 dealers. My 1st choice dealer cant match the deal on the KDX, but they are willing to make one heck of a deal on a KX250. I'm thinking I am going to jump on the KX (at least this minute!). I figure it's got good suspension, good ergo's, good power, easy to find goodies for, and good on the track. I figure if I put different flywheel, bark busters, and change the sprocket, I could make it go either way. Thats where I'm at. Input on that train of thought?

dom

Dec 31, 2001
The only 2 stroke MX bike I've ever ridden was a '92 CR250. I rode it for about 5 minutes and then gave it back. I did not like the hit at all. Granted I have more skill now but I would want to try one before I plunked the money down.

FWIW, I rode an '04 250exc RFS with the factory 300 kit tonight at the track and it does feel lighter than the big RFS bikes in the turns it only has a hair more power than a piped KDX. The 400exc is much easier to ride.

I ride mostly woods but I've been riding at the indoor track lately to stay in shape. If the track scares you then you will be fine starting out on a woods/enduro bike. I pass a lot of people at the track on my KDX but I keep to the smaller doubles. By the time you have the courage for the big jumps. Most people at the track focus only on the jumps, park it in the corners and whack the throttle open on the straights.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
You are back to the same old crossroads--"Anything made to do two jobs will not be the best at either one" or something like that. Ride before you buy, ride to improve and learn what you like to be best (or have the most opportunity to do) then "upgrade" to your more perfect choice in time. But some of us never leave the KDX or what did you expect on this forum! Just Ride John

Tomck

Feb 13, 2004
Gargamel6,

Good information in these posts. As John noted above, there is no bike that does everything well. If you convert a motocross bike for woods use, I believe that you will also need to add a spark arrestor, and you may need a quieter exhaust depending on the trails that you ride. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Tom

OTHG MIKE

Oct 26, 2004
What ever you decide just don't ever mention that your going to remove the enduro fender and put an MX style one on it!!!! :yikes: I'm also taking the headlight off and putting a number plate on my KDX but just keep that between me and you. I went with the KDX because I haven't been on a bike in the last twenty years. I just picked it up new for $3750 two months ago. I'm not too sure of my riding ability yet but as long as I'm having fun on it I'll be happy. I did ride up till I was 24 and even raced a little MX but being an old man of 44 now I think this just may be the right bike for me. I know this really won' t help you but I haven't posted in a while and wanted to see my name up there. :joke:

Last edited:

gargamel6

Oct 19, 2004
Two days in a row and i am still thinking the KX250 is right for me! In additon to this forum I have been talking with people I have ride with. They are all in agreement about the KX. That has to be worth something, since they know how I ride. I guess we'll see how I feel tommorow!
OTHG MIKE,
My plan was to put on a MX fender, and a number plate too. Maybe thats not popular..I don't know. I just like the MX look better.
Sean

kx250kev

Jan 17, 2005
If you can find a new 01 or 02 KX250 (there are still a few dusty ones out there), they are a do-it-all bike! The work great on the track, woods, trail.....just a great bike period. P.s. I still plan on getting a KDX soon and I won't be changing the fenders, I love the way that bike looks!

dustytires

Jan 22, 2005
which bike

You have gotten a lot of great advice. Your wish list has both 4 strokes and 2 strokes though. Which would you like? I think you need to decide first what motor type you want. They are still completely different and to lump them together as maybies is short sighted. The 250-300 EXC 2 stroke is a great choice with linear power and super light weight and modern ergo's .
I have a KDX and a KTM 450EXC in my garage and the KTM is a F*&$ing pig to pick up after a fall, to load etc but it feels lighter than the KDX on an open trail! When my fiance and I get in the twisties, the KDX then feels a little lighter, but the ergo's are dated.
I ONLY bought the 450 with an eye on kitting it for dual sport as the 2 stroke is still the bestest lightest highest performance engine in the world. Simple to work on, much less $ to maintain and on and on. If you are off road only and don't mind mixing, get a 2 stroke. Personally I was thinking of adding a 2002 YZ 250 to the garage with a fly wheel weight, FMF Gnarly pipe and spark arrestor with a bigger tank. Light weight, low dollar as they are everywhere used, and in California green sticker legal for off road riding. Out west the stock suspension would not kill me either as a few click off on compression and into the rocks and miles of whoops it would go. Try and ride before you buy.

Kpicha

Sep 11, 2004
Gargamel, (pronounced like that guy on the Smurfs?) -LOL. Since you're from the DC suburbs, have you ridden at Tomahawk? That's a great track and they also have a harescramble course to get your fix in for woods riding. What did you end up getting? :)

cadjocky

Apr 4, 2003
I went from the KDX200 to the 200EXC and was pleased. The EXC is significantly faster, and significantly better suspended. The KDX is still my pal, but there is no doubt which one I'd take if I were racing. If I'm out for play riding with slower buddies, the KDX is still a blast. You should buy both!

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Beware of those mini racing thmpers, they are high strung and require even more maint than a "normal" racing thumper because they rev to 13K.

I am a little late to the party but I just have to chime in. Sorry Fred.

I tend to keep bikes for quite a long while and have learned a few things about reliability over the years. Since 1980, I have owned the following bikes. They are listed in order of experienced reliability:

1986 Honda XR250R – I still own it and just did a top end job this past fall.........$300.00 or $16.00/year....LOL!

2000 KDX200 – no failures whatsoever. Replaced piston last winter - $120.00. Still own this bike too.

2001 Yamaha YZ250F – Owned since new, replaced piston and had Eric Gorr inspect head and shim valves last winter after three seasons........$400.00. Now, although I have had no failures whatsoever on any part of the bike, I have decided to rebuild the lower end and replace the valves this winter. There is a reported undersize crank dimension on the very first YZ250F’s. So, I am replacing the crank and as a reliability improvement, I am having Kibblewhite stainless valves installed. Piston and rings still in great shape after a season of riding, per Eric Gorr. Estimated cost (it ain’t done yet) $1000.00. Total cost of ownership, $1400.00 in four years or $350.00 per year.

In general, a very reliable bike. Nothing has broke on the bike. All maintenance has been PM. Funny thing, although I hear all the stories I have never witnessed a “baby thumper grenade” (knock on wood). PM is the key. Yamaha is by far the most reliable of the big four 250F’s based on what I have read on the net. I am also told that they cost half as much as an RFS to rebuild. Will an RFS run twice as long between rebuilds? Based on my experience, it would have to last eight years.

Handling? IMO, there is nothing better. I have ridden countless bikes and the only bike that I thought was better was a friend’s YZ250. Consequently, I have considered getting one for a while now.

1979 Montesa Cappra VE – very reliable engine, wish I still had it! Replaced one piston in five years.

1990 KDX200 – replaced the KIPS valves every other time I rode it. Very frustrating. Glad to see that one go.

1993 KTM250EXC – following are the failures I experienced:

- ignition system crapped out
- left side lower fork casting broke, sitting in garage
- right side lower fork casting broke, sitting in garage
- shock seal blew, sitting in garage
- fork seals blew
- went into permanent neutral during Jackpine enduro, had to leave bike in woods...LOL! Shift mechanism vibrated loose internally.
- kick start mechanism vibrated loose internally
- countershaft seal leaked the entire time I owned the bike.....never could get it to stop
- replaced a couple pistons, PM

I am sad to say that the KTM was the only bike that forced me to DNF an enduro. It was also the only one that disappointed me when it was time to load up and go riding.

On the flip side, it had a great motor and handled well. I wanted to replace it with a new one but I did not like the conventional forks they used in the later 90’s. Then, they switched to the linkageless PDS rear end (I never have come to grips with those). I almost bought a 200EXC in 2000 when they switched back to USD forks but then Yamaha announced the 250F. I put money down on one in June of 2000 and could not be happier with the decision.

Yeah, the YZF costs more to own than an XR or KDX. More than an EXC? Not based on my experience. I hear two distinctly different stories from KTM owners. If you get a new bike regularly, they are great. They seem to be fairly reliable. Some parts are more expensive than the other brands and some parts are cheaper. If you keep them for several years though, the cost of ownership increases at faster rate than a big-four bike.

skierjet

Dec 23, 2003
I have a great 92KDX for trails, and picked up a woods friendly '97 YZ250 last fall. TheYZ250 with a 9 oz. flywheel weight is awesome, and you can simply turn the clickers a bit to firm it up for the Track. I picked it up for $1,500 and put on a new top end, linkage bearings, and some handguards. The KDX can almost cover the YZ in the woods, but put it on a Track, and there's no comparison. Both are great bikes, but if I had to have a One to do the chores of Two, I would pick the YZ hands down. Be careful of the High Perf. 4 strokes, because, unless you're a great wrench, you will sink some $$$ into the engine at regular intervals. A friend on a 2004 KTM 450EXC (4 stroke) just sunk $1,100 into his $7,000 KToom for some valve work. If your a good Woods Rider, a well kept 250 2'stroke will run with anyone and the MX folks are getting rid of them cheap. Just ask Rodney Smith, Barry Hawk and Jason Raines how fast they can go on one.

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
Gargamel6,
I ride a KDX220 with my buddy who rides a YZ250. The KDX is pretty much stock except for pipe and the YZ he bought from a guy who raced it MX. We ride eastern-style hare scramble type terrain, usually fairly technical, often slippery and/or steep. He is a better rider than I am and he always dusts me especially in the wide open sections. But, he works a lot harder than I do in the tight and technical sections. The KDX as you know is very forgiving and is very easy to recover from a mistake in gear selection, line selection, etc while trail riding. But, it is significantly heavier and has worse ergos and suspension and in my opinion is not as fun to jump. Based on your future expected use as you described... go with the MX bike. I would rather deal with the high strung nature of an MX bike on the trail than a KDX on a track, even if I were riding say 40% track and 60% trail. I am 32 and have never ridden on a track, so my jumping experience on the KDX has been "erosion mounds" on trails and other things we find to jump while out riding and playing. The way I look at it, if you take your KX250 trail riding, you are still going to have a lot of fun, you just are going to have to have more finesse on the throttle and clutch, and you are going to burn a bit more mental energy in the tight stuff and the technical hill climbs. On the other hand, if you plan to spend considerable time on an MX track trying to learn MX on a KDX, in my opinion you are going to be looking for a different bike by the end of one season. Short of buying both, I would go with the KX in your shoes. In my shoes (100% trail riding), the KDX is the bike for me.

Top Bottom