bazmaster03

Apr 1, 2009
hey i was just wondering ...i believe i have a striped gear on my kips valve mecanisme (directly on the left kips valve ) and was wondering if i should like clean everything up while the engine is open ... well if i need to and maybe do like a port and polish or something just somthing mild for the port and polish or how to clean to kips valve and exhaust port ??

i am just seeking the opinion of some guys

i am hoping of something that will not take too much time cuz i need to ride it :)

i have a 1990 kdx 200 with a fmf gold series pipe adn a uni air filter running no lid on the airbox

any info is apreciated
thanks for your time

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Clean it and replace the broken kips valve. LH sub valve breakages are common on 89-94 kdx's. Keeping them clean will help. I would also replace the aluminum collar on top of the gear as they get worn and cause slop which can also contribute to premature breakages. Port and polish is not needed, although it couldn't hurt.

I used some oven cleaner to clean mine, just don't leave it on there very long!

bazmaster03

Apr 1, 2009
would oven cleaner like''eat '' the aluminum or something

bazmaster03

Apr 1, 2009
also is it like very time consuming to change the kips valve ?? like it runs as it is but it can get sluggish sometimes ??

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
well, you have to pull the head and jug to get everything out. It is a little time consuming, yes. You should have no problem handling it in an evening though. A proper service manual is highly recommended for getting things put back in the right order.

Oven cleaner will "eat" aluminum, yes. If left on too long it will pit the aluminum surfaces. I found that gun cleaner works pretty well on the carbon buildup and is a safer alternative to oven cleaner.

If you have a problem with the kips, it should be consitently poor performance on either the low end or top end depending on which way the valve is "stuck". A "sluggish sometimes" condition may not be kips afterall. It will not hurt to take the valves out and clean them up and check for any broken compenents though.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Always clean everything you can when you disassemble bike parts, be it engines, wheels, or linkage.
If you do not know what you are doing, do not attempt to alter the ports. Polishing is a waste of time.....
Do not use oven cleaner on aluminum parts. Emory cloth and/or small wire brushes are the best and safest for cleaning. Good luck and ride it!

Mud

ranger306ci

May 24, 2009
I like the green scotchbrite pads you can mount on a drill..... Work like a charm on aluminum. Cleans gasket residue off great.
Also, one of gods greatest gifts to mechanics is brake parts cleaner! Cleans everything, and evaporates with no residue. Just don't spray it around open flame, or in your eyes! Oh, and don't lick anything on your bike not certified lead free. We will get the darn things taken away from us.

Top Bottom