Alex28

Oct 17, 2008
Hey guys,
I'm looking into buying my first dirtbike, I'm 6'3" and 155lbs, my budget is $1600 CAD. I was wondering if a 2001 Yamaha TTR 125 would be to small for me? And I was also looking into buying a 95' Yamaha YZ 250, but's is that too much power for my first bike? Any help is appreciated.

-Alex

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
The TTR would be too small for you and underpowered. And the 250 would be a lot of power for a brand new rider (if you are?) A 125 two stroke could be a good place to start, just depending on what your preference is. If you wanna go four stroke i'd look at XRs. An XR250 would be a good beginner bike plus they can be uncorked if not already for more balls when you get comfortable on it. You could start on a 250 smoker but it wouldn't be ideal if you are just learning. Just depends what you can find for that price.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
XMotoX said:
The TTR would be too small for you and underpowered. And the 250 would be a lot of power for a brand new rider (if you are?) A 125 two stroke could be a good place to start, just depending on what your preference is. If you wanna go four stroke i'd look at XRs. An XR250 would be a good beginner bike plus they can be uncorked if not already for more balls when you get comfortable on it. You could start on a 250 smoker but it wouldn't be ideal if you are just learning. Just depends what you can find for that price.

This is sound advice. If you're wanting a two-stroke with smooth power and a little more beef than a 125, look into a kdx 200 or even a ktm 200 exc.

Alex28

Oct 17, 2008
I am a new rider, I've never driven a dirtbike, I driven ATV's and snowmobiles but never a dirtbike. The only problem with getting a 125 is I can't find one in my price range. ($1700)
So you guys think the 2 stroke 250 will be too much to learn on? I'll try looking for a 4 stroke 250.

-Alex

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
what kind of riding are you into and what kid of quads have you ridden? are you aggressive rider?

my philosophy is all dirtbikes have throttles and you dont have to use it til your ready . it is there for you if you want it or need it 2stroke 250 is easier to ride in my opinion because you dont ALWAYS have to be in the proper gear to ride, less shifting, smoother hit on powerbang etc.

if youre a quick learner a 125 may leave you wanting in a short time

again just my opinion

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
Your options are limited at that price range. A 250 2t would be too much for a beginner and a TTR125 would be too small. It really depends on the terrain you will be riding. If you are riding tracks, you might start on a 125 2t, if you are riding trails, you might consider an XR or KDX as stated above.

For $1600-$1700, you should be able to get a decent older XR for the trail or CR/YZ for the track.

Last edited:

Alex28

Oct 17, 2008
I won't be driving it at the tracks, I'll strictly be trail riding, I would say I'm an aggresive rider. I found a 99' Yamaha YZ 125 for $1600, would it be a good trail bike? I also found a 2001 Honda XR 200, buts it's more than I want to spend. ($2000)

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
Alex28 said:
I won't be driving it at the tracks, I'll strictly be trail riding, I would say I'm an aggresive rider. I found a 99' Yamaha YZ 125 for $1600, would it be a good trail bike? I also found a 2001 Honda XR 200, buts it's more than I want to spend. ($2000)
yz125 is good bike, not the best for trail but they can be fun :)
Can have a bigger rear spocket also is the 99 model 6 spped? that can help in trails.
1600 is a bit more that i would pay for a 99 yz125, it need to be really clean and with a good spare parts lot.

The yz125 at 1600$ will cost more to ride that the xr 200 at 2000$
If the guy in the forum say the xr 200 is a good reliable bike i would spend the extra 400$ to get it.

Alex28

Oct 17, 2008
Everything is much more expensive here in Canada in regards to recreational vehicles. Can you explain when you say that the YZ will cost more to ride than the XR?

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
Man...those are expensive. You can buy the YZ here in Texas all day for $1000-$1100 and the XR 200 for $1200-$1300. A 125 2t is not a good trail bike. I owned one and sold it for that reason. A 125 2t by design has very little low end power...its kind of an all or nothing bike, like a light switch. That is fine on the track, but not on the trail. Trail riding is much easier, especially for a beginner, on a bike that has alot of low end power. This type of bike would be an XR or KDX as mentioned above. I would recommend the XR. I own an XR400 and love the bike, they are bulletproof.

Alex28

Oct 17, 2008
The XR is out of my price range, I found a 2000 Suzuki RM 250 for $1800 and a 1998 Yamaha YZ 250 for $1500, how will these bikes be on the trails?

I'm 6'3" and 155lbs, will these bikes be a good fit?

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
You are thinking only of the price of the bike, which is short term. You also must consider the cost of maintenance. On average, those 250 2ts will require more maintenance than an XR. The maintenance will cost you in the end.

To answer your question, I know alot of people that run 250 2t motocross bikes on the trail and are happy with them. Keep in mind that most of these guys are experienced riders and you are a beginner...but we already covered that issue.

MX bikes generally have the following characteristics:
1) They typically have close range transmissions with a tall first gear, which is not ideal for the trail. Trail bikes have wider range transmissions.
2) They typically have small gas tanks and drink alot of gas which limits your travel on the trail. You can buy oversized tanks for about $250.
3) While they have more low end power than a 125 2t, you still cannot compare the low end power of 250 2t MX bike to a 4 stroke trail bike. You can buy "woods" pipes that help with the low end...etc, but that costs money.
4) They have stiffer suspension than a trail bike. Of course, you can adjust the suspension to soften it, but it will still be different than a trail bike.

With all of that being said, if you are hell bent to buy a 250 2t, go for it. Get yourself some good protective gear [which is good advise for any bike].

Alex28

Oct 17, 2008
I found an 04' Honda CRF 230 for $2000, but it needs a new kill switch. And I also found and 2001 Honda XR 200, would these bikes be good on the trail? And how much would it cost for a new kill switch?

And how fast will these bikes go?

Thanks
-Alex

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
Alex28 said:
Everything is much more expensive here in Canada in regards to recreational vehicles. Can you explain when you say that the YZ will cost more to ride than the XR?
I mean about long term riding.
the yz 125 will require and cost alot more maintenance.
a xr is not a racing/high performance bike. They are more reliable and require very little maintenance.

I say keep shopping more, you can find a better suited bike and deal.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Alex28 said:
So the XR200 and the CRF230 would be good trail bikes?
Yes, and both will go fast enough to hurt you so make sure you budget some fundage for protective equipment.

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
Those are both good choices. The next step is to learn what to look for when buying a used bike. The kill switch is a very simple repair. None of us can tell you if that bike is a good deal (in Canadian terms) without inspecting and riding the bike. I will say that the XRs and CRF230s are very reliable and bulletproof.

lazywaffleman

Feb 7, 2010
Ask to ride it, very important.
Also I would check the oil and all other fuels and make sure the reserve line works and all that sort of stuff. Im sure the other will anthing i missed :cool:

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
check spocket/brake pad wear. they will tell if the owner neglected the maintenance.
Check for leaking fork/shock, crack in frame. Make sure all the gear are working, clutch, brakes and how the engine is running
You can also check the wheel bearings etc.

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
The obvious points that you would check are
1) Engine oil leaks and noise, also check for smoke if its a 4 stroke. A healthy 4 stroke may show very little smoke on startup, but not after it is warmed up. The pipe should not be hot...this is a sign they started it before you got there.
2) Check out the air filter and take a look at the oil. Does it appear that the bike has been maintained?
3) If the seller is claiming low hours, look for small signs of wear such as rotor wear, peg wear, sprocket wear, engine cover and frame rub marks. A bike with alot of hours will have excessive rub marks where the boots contacted the bike.
4) Check for slack or movement in the wheels, this is also a sign of wear. If the wheels have side to side movement, it will need bearings. If ridden long enough with bad bearings, the hub will wear out. Hubs arent cheap.
5) Check for fork dampening and fork oil leaks. Fork seal replacement will cost you about $150-$200 at a shop.
6) Ask alot of questions about the bikes history, maintenance, etc. Listen closely to their responses...do they sound truthful?

Alex28

Oct 17, 2008
Thanks guys for all the help, I'm going to look at and probably buy a 2004 Honda CRF230F tonight. What sort of things should I do to the bike before riding it?

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
If I was you, I would print this email and go through every step that everyone has provided. Ride the bike and run through all of the gears. We have done about all we can at this point...the rest is up to you.

Top Bottom