saddletramp

Oct 6, 2006
Newbie here, Anyways I bought this 2000 kdx 200 about a month ago and could not be happier with it. It is in stock form and plan on keeping it that way. I have been mixing torco full synth. at 40-1 and re-jetted to 158m 45p dropped the needle 1 setting from stock. I did not notice a huge difference and still had alot of smoke from the exhaust. So I bought a cheap compression tester at harbor frieght and was suprised that I only had 100# of comp. tested at w.o.t. Now if 150# is good should this thing even run at 100#? or is my tester whacked?
The bike seems to run very strong and starts first kick everytime after warm up.

strider80

Feb 3, 2003
Probably time for a top-end. It will give you a chance to clean the KIPS valve as well. Replace the gaskets, wristpin bearing, wristpin clips and rings at the minimum, or spring for a Wiseco pistion set for an extra $100.

saddletramp

Oct 6, 2006
Yeah, thats what I was thinking I have a manual on order. It seems strange that the bike still runs as good as it does at 100#s that seems really low compared to where it should be. Thanks for the help. I see your in Seattle, Im down around Oly. Go Seahawks

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
The cheapo gauge could have a lot to do with it as well. At a shop I worked at we bought a pair of identical compression gauges at the same time from Car Quest. If I remember right one read about 20% lower than the other.

How easy is the bike to start? Depending on your elevation and temperature you are still pretty rich.

saddletramp

Oct 6, 2006
On a cold start it takes 3 or 4 kicks and after its warm just 1. I know it has been at least 3 years since it has been re-built maybe longer. Even if my gauge is not 100% accurate i am sure it is time for a re-build. How much difference can I expect performance wise after a fresh top end?

strider80

Feb 3, 2003
Impossible to tell, but if your compression is really 100 it should be significant. It may be really gummed up and the rings are not sealing. Your jetting still sounds rich.

Hopefully the Hawks can recover after the embarassing game last week.

KDXruss

Damn Yankees
Jul 11, 2004
saddletramp said:
Newbie here, Anyways I bought this 2000 kdx 200 about a month ago and could not be happier with it. It is in stock form and plan on keeping it that way. I have been mixing torco full synth. at 40-1 and re-jetted to 158m 45p dropped the needle 1 setting from stock. I did not notice a huge difference and still had alot of smoke from the exhaust. So I bought a cheap compression tester at harbor frieght and was suprised that I only had 100# of comp. tested at w.o.t. Now if 150# is good should this thing even run at 100#? or is my tester whacked?
The bike seems to run very strong and starts first kick everytime after warm up.
My manual says the usable range is 95-151psi. If the bike runs strong and starts well then I would say your still good....for now. On the other hand, It's on the low side and a new top end would not hurt. BTW, did you take several readings or just one?

saddletramp

Oct 6, 2006
No kiddin, thats still in usable range? guess I am good to go for a while. I tested it cold, warm, and even poured a little oil in the cylinder. All the readings came out the same, except it was a little higher after I poured some oil in. I am not going to fuss with the jetting untill I get a fresh top end in.

Geeze, talk about a beat down. Da Bears embarrased the Hawks badly, I feel sorry for St.louis next week. :laugh:

Top Bottom