davide88

Aug 25, 2008
I'm 5'9", 185 lbs. and my 'new' '02 KDX is just a tick tall for me--at times. It's fine on wide open trails or dirt track, but just a little tip-toey in the woods-- which only worries me-- as I'm trying to learn navigating around trees and stumps. Any way to lower the rear suspension (without messing anything up) just an inch or so?

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
Look for a longer set of dog bones (lowering links). It is a bolt on lowering kit for the rear end. You will want to slide the forks up a little in the clamps to balance out the suspension geometry.

Hoffies

Feb 26, 2007
Yes the lowering links are the way to go, I have a set on my bike and make a big difference in the slow rough places! Kouba links have a few different lengths. Not sure what they price? You can also have a set made if you know a place doing sheetmetal lasercutting(I had mine plated to keep away the rust)

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
I got mine shorter by cutting the seat foam. I also eleminated the tool kit on the rear fender so I could get leg over easier. Links are the next step. John

JimCoCo

Jul 5, 2008
Seat

John Harris said:
I got mine shorter by cutting the seat foam. I also eleminated the tool kit on the rear fender so I could get leg over easier. Links are the next step. John
Can you send or post a photo of your cut seat? I'm thinking about doing the same thing. Thanks,
Jimcoco@netzero.net :cool:

Cuda70

Aug 25, 2008
Cut the seat foam...

My son is 5'6" and seat foam is cut and has no problems touching with his feet. Seat does look a little funny, like a saddle curved down but works great.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
At 5' 9", you may find that you are tall enough.

Getting the suspension lowered with travel limiting spacers is an option, as cutting foam = less padding and lowering links = thrown off linkage geometry.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
We use a grinder wheel to shave my seats shorter about an inch. Just pull off the seat cover, trace where you want the new height/sides, and grind away. Just try to keep the same shape you want, like not make a saddle hole in the middle if you want it flatter so you can transition easier.

Another thing to try is raising the forks in the triple clamp, but beware that too much will change the front geometry of the bike, and put more weight on the front end. Also sometimes you can't raise them too much because they will touch your bars.

Just a few "free" mods to try first.

KDXdog

May 4, 2005
Kouba links!

Norm is a great guy, he will answer any questions you ay have

Makes all in the tight, rocky stuff, also just throwing your leg over to get on!
I'm 5'9', 190.

Just lowering an inch or 1.5 will do it. Lower fork legs too! Not hard to do.

Installing the links is enough of an excuse to grease up all the bearings in the rear suspension, if you havn't greased them before, they will need it!

I did the same with my KLX400, another tall bike!

Top Bottom