jahames7

Nov 29, 2009
has anybody replaced the lower steering stem bearing? can the stem be pressed out of the bottom of the lower fork clamp or does it thread into the clamp?? the bearings on my project bike are corroded and need to be replaced but i can't get the lower bearing off. please help

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I always cut off the lower bearing. Snip through the cage with side cutters and remove the rollers. Use a dremel or other device to cut a couple notches through the inner race ALMOST all the way through. Add a little heat and it'll come off pretty easily. Of course you run the risk of cutting into the steering stem, which you want to avoid.

jahames7

Nov 29, 2009
Matt90GT said:
just press the stem out of the lower clamp and the bearing will come off also

i used a 12 ton press and tried this and the stem did not budge. so i went with the dremel and a little skill and patience and the race came off without too much trouble. pressing on the new bearings will be my next project when UPS drops them off

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
Personaly, I have never done it, but I would get a piece of pipe that fits over the stem, but not to big that it pushes on the outside of the bearing, just the solid inside part of the bearing, and put it under a press, should slide right on.

Better yet, wonder if you can do the ol' "heat and freeze" method, heat the bearing in the over to around 250 or so, then freeze the stem. Should slightly shrink the steam and expand the bearing. Works wonders for bottom end bearings.

slodad

Sep 4, 2005
Have you checked the lower race in the steering head to see if it needs to be replaced? If the bearings are corroded, it's likely that that race is also. They can be a challenge too. Park Tool makes a tool for removing them. It's much more effective than whacking away with a screwdriver.

Top Bottom