JHNguyen89

Dec 4, 2009
Just got a KDX220 which is my first dirt bike. Having the bike just a tad bit lower would be a bit more confidence inspiring.

I've read that my options are lowering links and/or shaving the seat. Though, it seems like lower links will change the geometry where as shaving the seat obviously gives a bit less padding.

What do you guys suggest? I'm 5'7".

Scotty99983

Dec 5, 2009
id suggest setting your rear shock a little softer maybe as that would cause the back end to go down a bit further when you sit on it. im no expert so thats the way i know how to do it lol.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
The sag needs to be set correctly regardless of the height of the bike. It will not handle correctly if you have way to much sag in an effort to lower it. You're on the right track with shaving the seat or lowering links, and you're correct that lowering links will change the geometry while shaving the seat will not. Shaving the seat would be the best option, and should give you enough.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Here is another interesting option I stumbled upon...

As you that have been following my saga of the "95 KDX in a bucket" will recall, the bike came with one of the seat frame rails completely detached, and the other badly bent, and the bracket in the middle gone. Must have been one heck of a loop.

So anyway, I had to fabricate replacements for the missing parts, and weld them to the existing surviving bits. I got great help here with people running out to the garage and measuring things. People were very generous with their time.

All was well, then I helped a buddy buy a KDX-220, and another buddy bought a KDX-200, and all three now sit in my garage (never let friends know you have jets laying around and are willing to help doing jetting ;) ).

I looked, and both the other KDX's are about an inch higher then my KDX. Interesting. Looked at suspension parts, preload, etc, and it all looks the same on all three bikes.

I think (haven't done detailed measurements, but it looks pretty obvious) that I actually ended up fabricating my tail section to be about an inch lower then stock (at the highest point by the tail light). The net effect is that it gives me a little extra gap between the seat and the tank, but not much, and I haven't had the rear tire touch the fender yet... or anything else that I can tell.

So that would be another option to have on the table if your frame is already hacked up and needing frame paint or powder coating anyway. It's a free 1" lowering... just heat the frame up with a propane torch and carefully bend with a breaker bar where you want it to bend...

I'm not sure I would recommend it... I did it by accident... but it is a possibility.

JHNguyen89

Dec 4, 2009
Thanks for the tips everyone.

I can definitely see shaving the seat in the future. Good thing about it is that it saves money and won't change the geometry. It's my first dirt bike, so whatever I do, it's all new to me. If all else fails, I'll try the lower links as it seems to be popular.

The sag is set correctly

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
the factory race teams quite often alter sub-frame/seat combinations to fit their riders better. they also use spacers inside the shocks & forks to customize the ride height, once again to fit the rider. 1 general rule: make bike fit rider. It works.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
JHNguyen89 said:
Just got a KDX220 which is my first dirt bike. Having the bike just a tad bit lower would be a bit more confidence inspiring. What do you guys suggest? I'm 5'7".
I'm 5' 6" and know what you are talking about. I put Kouba #1 links on mine and it wasn't worth the effort (yes, I know the #2 and #3 links are made for lowering the bike, not the #1)

My advice is to ride the bike as is, at least for 10-20 hours before making a decision to alter it. Yes, it's tall, but you can get used to it. Just remember to keep moving! ....the tall height only gives us short guys problems when the bike STOPS! :laugh:

JHNguyen89

Dec 4, 2009
mudpack said:
I'm 5' 6" and know what you are talking about. I put Kouba #1 links on mine and it wasn't worth the effort (yes, I know the #2 and #3 links are made for lowering the bike, not the #1)

My advice is to ride the bike as is, at least for 10-20 hours before making a decision to alter it. Yes, it's tall, but you can get used to it. Just remember to keep moving! ....the tall height only gives us short guys problems when the bike STOPS! :laugh:

May I ask why it wasn't worth the effort? Not low enough?

That was one of the things that I was concerned about.. not making a big enough difference vs the time/money spent in lowering it. Though, either way, I don't mind shaving down the seat a bit.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
JHNguyen89 said:
May I ask why it wasn't worth the effort? Not low enough?

That was one of the things that I was concerned about.. not making a big enough difference vs the time/money spent in lowering it. Though, either way, I don't mind shaving down the seat a bit.
Not a noticeable difference in height (the #1 link isn't supposed to make much difference there), and not a noticeable difference in performance (the #1 link WAS supposed to make a difference here).

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I'm in the 5'6" range too. I used to shave seats and lower suspension, now I just get enough seat time to feel comfortable. Like Mud said, it's only a problem when you stop. Sometimes i get stopped in a bad place on a hill climb, and that almost always results in a tip over. Just gotta keep it movin!

I still vote for shaving a bit off the seat if you really feel you need to. Kouba links are a decent option too as it's easily reversible once you gain confidence on the bike you're riding. Having suspension stops put in... not so much. You lose suspension travel, and it's not so easy to reverse the mod later.

Top Bottom