RAH RAH

Aug 30, 2003
Hey guys I just bought my baby a kdx 220 and am looking to lower it for her so she doesnt have to find a stand or a tree everytime something goes wrong... I think that if the bike is lower she will be able to be more confident in what she is trying to do... what are some good lowering mods for the kdx before I start sawing apart a comfy seat...
thanks guys..

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
http://www.koubalink.com/kdxinfo.html

I just bought a set of the number 2 links as I am setting up a KDX for my daughter whos is 5'3". I also cut the seat down about an inch. You can do a nice job on the seat with an electric knife and then smooth it out with a D/A sander.

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
I sort of, okay, I directly copied the koubalinks. It was a piece of cake. I actually designed three different lengths but made the ones that are 126mm in length. I'll be happy to supply you a drawing if you wish. They are made from 1/4" thick steel. Anyway, in order to drop the bike equally and maintain the proper weight distribution front to rear, this is probably the longest you can go on the rear and keep it from changing this as the bars will soon hit the bars if you need to drop the front end more when a longer link is used. I made to maintained the distribution by checking the level of the bike before the install and after by using a adjustable level. I simply dropped the forks until we were level again. It yielded a 1-5/8" drop in the seat height. You have to understand also that when you change the link length you also change the shock geometry too. The longer the link, the softer the ride and the easier it is to bottom. My son has not bottomed his and it definately made him feel more confident. If you want more info, I can supply it.

dales298

Mostly Useless
~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
I'll have to look, but I remember an article in either DB or MXA last season where a womens team had either one half or maybe a whole inch cut out of the rear subframe on a honda for a 24 hour event at Glenn Helen. Getting a fullsized bike to fit someone vertically challenged can be a job.

rossgordon

Nov 1, 2005
A kx 100 is a great bike for that hight of rider good power 150lbs easy to start smooth suspension. install flywheel weight Vforce 3 reeds . :ride:

RAH RAH

Aug 30, 2003
Heck I got a kx100 too but shes figuring out how to run Its great this was her first time today.. she did really good though the height is a big issue tho I really dont want to shave the seat because of all of that great padding.. I wouldnt mind a used seat if its cut. thanks for the help keep it coming..
the kx 100 issue needs a lot more torque.. its to much of rever.

rossgordon

Nov 1, 2005
The Vforce 3 reeds really help the power down low for the kx 100. My 14 year old girl likes the 100.On the 220 You can put a shim internaly in the rear shock to lower it. Maybe a lighter rear spring will help to. At 5 1 Maybe a combination.

Top Bottom