Uechi45

Dec 11, 2000
I made one and can get a plug out in 15 seconds and a new one in in about 20. I will e-mail you a copy of what you need. It is in Word. E-mail me you're e-mail address at uechi45@cs.com and I'll get it right to you.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I'd like one, too! I'll also email you my address.

FYI, I posted this on the KLX email list and found most people use the one that come with the bike and it works really well. The problem is I bought my bike used and didn't get any tools. My question will be which is better, this custom tool you made or the stock (probably cheap) tool that came with the bike?

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Okay, this is no big deal. The Word doc is all text, no graphics, so here's a cut and paste for all to see:

After a year of struggling with the spark plug on my KLX300 I've found the way to a 30 second plug change (maybe 45 seconds). Here is how to do it. You must buy a "Sidewinder" socket wrench in 1/4 inch drive. This wrench has a crank handle on the back. I got mine thru McMaster Carr, a mail order company, but I have seen them at K-Mart, they are around $25.00. The 3/8 drive will not work because the head size is too large to fit into the plug recess. Next get a 1/4 to 3/8 inch adapter so a plug socket will fit to the wrench. The next step is very important. The overall length of the unit is very critical or you will hit the gas tank if too tall, or not engage the plug if is too short. The valve cover recess is tapered, so if the plug socket is too short it still will not reach the plug because the wrench head will interfere with the taper in the valve cover. The correct height of the assembly is 3.960 inches, measured from the top of the wrench head to the end of the socket. An eight-inch longer and you will hit the tank and not get the plug out. An eighth shorter and you cannot engage the plug to remove it. I used a Snap On adapter and Benchtop (K-Mart) plug socket. If you search around you will find the right combo, or you can machine down a longer socket if you have to. Once on the plug use the wrench as a regular type to break the plug free, then use the crank to spin out the plug. This all takes about 15 seconds. Reverse the procedure to install. It is pure heaven!!

I'm going to look into the stock tool before I go and do this. Probably cheaper and everyone seems happy with it. Even if it may not be quite as quick I could probably keep it with me on a trail ride.

Top Bottom