making '01 wz 426, seat/tank combo?

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
what seat tank combo is the thinest? i'm getting the pig ready for mx this year.ha!:p, i should have said flatest too, i just looked at the clarke combo at thier site, are any flatter up front? dang'ed ole ski jump it is.

Last edited:

Hick

Aug 15, 2000
I’ve only sat on one briefly, but the Ty Davis tank, made by IMS I believe, is nearly as thin as the stock YZ tank. IMO it is kind of extreme, you can’t get at the hot start and it appears to block radiator flow a bit more than the other options. Of course, Ty Davis doesn’t seem to have any problems with this :D

I’ve had the std. IMS and the new Acerbis on my YZFs, the IMS is noticeably wider than the Acerbis, which is slightly wider than the Ty Davis tank. As for the “ski jump” effect, I think it is a wash, with all “dez” tanks being a bit taller than the stock YZ tank, but coming from a WR I doubt you would notice since you are moving the ramp forward considerably. :D For me the wideness is more noticeable than the “ski jump” effect, which I’d forgotten about completely after the first couple of minutes coming off a stock YZ tank.

The Acerbis is a bit more expensive than the std. IMS, but you can install a dry break or “normal” filler on the same tank (if you buy the tank and also the dry break kit). Another way of saying this is you have the option to go w/ a dry break in the future w/out having to purchase a new tank, I guess that is the main reason for the (slightly) higher cost. The Davis tank is about the same or a little more than the Acerbis I believe.

I’ve had Devol rad guards with both setups, but I don’t know if the WC style braces will work with any of these oversize tanks on a YZ/WR.

I’ve only seen the Clarke tanks, haven’t even sat on one, but they don’t appear to differ noticeably from the IMS.

You may want to check Thumpertalk for opinions on the Clarke tank, I know several members over there run that one (and the Davis tank is also popular, some good pics of it were posted recently).

Hope this helps.

funktree

~SPONSOR~
Jul 21, 2001
clarke now makes a stock capacity yz426 tank. Supposed to be same dimensions as stock yz holds 2.1 gallons. for mx i would think this would be the way to go

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
I got the stock YZ tank/seat, and I love it. I never really needed the extra 1.2 gals, so stock worked well for me. I dont know if its the slimmest out there, but it sure kills the ski-jump WR stockness.

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
hey wayneo, you post on thumpertalk too,right, haven't been there in a while,never can remeber my password.do you race mx with your bike,how's the yz timing on the wr gears for moto?

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
I ride my 426 on the track and love it. I have done the BK, and all the other mods, but havent done the timing yet. That is going to be my next mod, and will prob happen soon. I will say that with the stock timing/gearing, the gears are too spread out for mx. After the change, that would be cured.

TT is great for bike specific stuff. :cool:

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
yeh, i'm gonna do bk,yz timing,yz jetting, think i'll go down one tooth up front.that aughta do it. now if i could just ride worth a darn.:confused:

Top Bottom