RJGoonie

Sep 15, 2006
Does anybody have any information on how to make your dirt bike street legal in Connecticut or in any state for that matter. I checked CT DMV, and could not find "Inspection Requirements for Modified Off Road Motorcycle" information. I own a YZ 125 and just want to enter an Enduro once in a while. Thank you.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Every state has different requirements.
It is extremely difficult in Wisconsin and the few I know that did it successfully followed this route- Went to a small vehicle registration center in northern Michigan where a friend (resident of Michigan) registerred them and then 'sold' the registerred bike to the Wisconsin resident. They then mailed the registration to the Wisconsin Dept of Transportation with the Michigan registration title. When they were then told to submit a vehicle inspection form they found a friendly law enforcement officer who validated the VIN and the remainder of the form.

All these bike had the required lighting equipment added and supposedly legal street tires.

thebleakness

Sep 19, 2006
Every state varies in laws. Here in Arizona a bike must have: 1 headlight, 1 taillight, 1 mirror, 1 brakelight, 1 horn and of course DOT approved tires but none of us run them. Its extremely easy to get the actual plate and tags here. All one has to do is walk into the MVD and talk to one of the clerks. They ask you if you have each of the above required items and you tell them yes. She then hands over your tags and your down. It takes all of 10 minutes tops and your out of there. My KDX is street legal (although barely, if even that) and I ride it around town on occasion.

Baja Designs is a good place to start, they have street legal kits for many models of bikes.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
oldguy said:
Every state has different requirements.
It is extremely difficult in Wisconsin and the few I know that did it successfully followed this route- Went to a small vehicle registration center in northern Michigan where a friend (resident of Michigan) registerred them and then 'sold' the registerred bike to the Wisconsin resident. They then mailed the registration to the Wisconsin Dept of Transportation with the Michigan registration title. When they were then told to submit a vehicle inspection form they found a friendly law enforcement officer who validated the VIN and the remainder of the form.

All these bike had the required lighting equipment added and supposedly legal street tires.

I've always wondered if that would fly under the radar :cool:

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
Every state is going to have different laws. In LA, it takes a visual inspection from a certified State Police officer and some documentation to get it done. It isnt too bad once youve done it once, and get to know the officer. ;)

It helps if said officer is an enthusiast. ;)

Steve St.Laurent

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 6, 2006
Here in Michigan it wasn't that hard but you couldn't do what 02yz426f is suggesting. You have to have a headlight with high and low beams, tail light, brake light (working), license plate light, horn, a mirror, and DOT approved tires and it has to be inspected by a police officer. I recently got my CR250 street legal and had everything except the DOT approved tires - the officer came to my house to do the inspection and didn't check the tires. Here's a thread I posted on what I did - http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=143608 . I did not get a lighting coil for it and run the lights off of a 10 pack of rechargeable AA batteries - can run the headlight on high for 40 minutes.

Steve St.Laurent

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 6, 2006
Amazing what you can find on the web these days:

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/LIB/dmv/20/29/R-157.pdf

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/LIB/dmv/20/29/R-95.pdf

I searched all over for "inspection requirements for modified off road motorcycles" as it says you should look at that towards the bottom of that R-157 document but can't find anything on the search engines or the connecticut DMV. I'd call a DMV office with that R-157 form in hand and ask them about that section and that will probably get you into the proper area.

VenomRS4

Jan 12, 2007
Anyone try legalizing or converting a bike to a dual sport in MA? Ive heard different things about it. I checked the massachusetts website but that wasnt very helpful. It only described what the bike needed to be considered legal. Ive got an idea of what you have to do in other states but it varies from state to state.

If anyone has actually done it in Massachusetts, what process did you have to go through? I know you can do it. Ive seen KDX200s and friggen CR500s legalized and registered. I know the equipment requirements so I just need to know what the process is.

Stretch351w

Oct 12, 2005
I live in CT and have 01 CR125. I'm an emissions inspector and the DMV officers come through every once in a while. I've asked 3 different ones and they all tell me that if its a 2 stroke you have no chance of getting a plate for it. 4 strokes are a different story, but you do need to meet all the requirements... Lights, horn, blinkers, DOT rated tires. It ends up getting expensive. Thats why I bought a trailer and found the state forest in Glastonbury. Dirt roads are still roads, and there a miles and miles of them. If you ever want to meet up, I'll show you the trails, they got some good ones in there.

Top Bottom