Making A Drz 400e Street Legal In Indiana???

rcers

Jan 17, 2001
I am thinking of buying a new DRZ400E and want to make it street legal for riding dual sport events.I understand that I can probably buy a kit to take care of the lighting,but how do you get the licence branch to recognize it as a street legal machine??
If Im not mistaken,dont off-road bikes say "OFF-ROAD NOT FOR USE ON PUBLIC ROADS" on the title somewhere??
Your help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Bob Eddy
NewWhiteland INDIANA

WoWman

Jun 23, 2002
Hey Bob!

I have a 2001 DRZ400E, great bike. I am dual-sporting mine, minimally, should be done by this week if everything comes in on time.
Well, you can get "plates" for any bike with a title and a VIN number. Here in Mass. we need insurance too.

Then you have to pass inspection...so you could have a plated MX bike, but it wouldn't neccessarily pass inspection for emissioins/blinkers etc.

So, get the bike to meet the requirements for your area (check the RMV) and then get plates from the registry. You'll need title for that.
Next, just get it inspected by a dealer or wahtever, and presto...you have a street legal dirt bike.

OH yeah those "OFF-ROAD NOT FOR USE ON PUBLIC ROADS" stickers are only on the bike, not the title I think. They do not mean anything, they are just there so some idiot doesn't get crippled because he was on the road without lights and sues the company.

Good luck, and get the DRZ, it is a wonderful bike IMO. Hopefully this makes sense, I'm kinda tired....if not PM me. :D

Bent6

Jul 30, 2000
I live in Indiana and am trying to get plates for my 01 CR ( I have a mirror, quiet muffler with homemade removable baffel, headlight and taillight (battery powered)). My bike has a MI title which says "off-road use only". The title has a cross out (he put his name in the wrong space). So I need to him an affiadavid to correct that. The license branch said to have him also sign an odometer statement. And they will give plates. So, I think there is a slight chance you can get plates if you have the odometer portion of the title filled out. I havn't got that far yet.

If none of this works, the legit. way is to get a rebodied vehicle form from the license branch and have a police officer inspect the bike an sign the form. My understanding is that as a minium you need: A horn, mirror, and working headlight/taillight/brake light. That should change the title from atv to motorcycle, and you will be able to get plates.

Top Bottom