Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
I can't get my master link back together and it is really pissing me off. I took my chain off last night to clean and it came apart pretty easly, but now that I am putting it back on it has become a real problem. I can get the link in what I can't get together is the clip that slides on. Does it take a secial tool or something. Also, it does not apear to be bent. I hate to take it to the shop for this and look like a total idiot.

Thanks

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
A Master link press and some master link clip pliers would make you life a lot easier, but you don't realy need them. You can check out motion pro's web site and look at the chain tools section. I used a small wrench or C-clamp on the end to push the plate down over the pins until the grooves are exposed. Then slid the clip on there and push it until the end of the clip butts up against the opposite pin. The use the wrench to push the plate down until it exsposes the groove in the pin and it should stay there. Once you have that done you can finish pushing the clip on.

Just make sure that you put the open of the clip so that it faces away from the direction of travel of the chain. If the plate, pins, or clip looks worn replace them with a masterlink from the same manufacture of the chain. They are pretty inexspensive.

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
Thanks Dan, I tried pressing it together last night with just a pair of pliers and that was getting me know were and I stopped right at the point of breaking something.

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
I took an old link and ground off the the pins. Put it over the master link and squeeze with a pair of vice grips and it compress's the o-rings enough to slide the clip on with no problem.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom