Hokie

Sponsoring Member
Sep 28, 2000
How do you guys overcome a mental block about an obstacle at the track?

Example:

There is a step up jump that I know I could easily do. However, when I'm on the track and approaching it my rational brain disappears (or reappears, depending how you want to think about it) and I end up not doing it. I know once I make it for the first time it will be easy after that.

Any tips to psyhe yourself out?

AgentOrange

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 18, 2000
I feel your anxiety, I have had problems with doubles on the mx track. I have overcome this by watching the other rider's technique (speed, position, etc.) on the obstacle.. More importantly, what happens when they hit it less than perfect. Once I have seen them miss and the result is not catostrophic it gives confidence that I don't have to do it perfect to survive the obstacle.

I hope this helps...

------------------
'00 KTM 380exc

MRKRacing125

Oct 24, 2000
Ok here is how i jumped my first 50fter on my tt-r250! Go yo to the jump as fast as you can. When you get really close to the jump slow down and just roll over the jump and go to the landing ramp and just sit on top of the landing ramp for a few sec/min if you want and just look at it. Then do it over again gradually getting faster and then slowing down, and rolling over the jump faster to where the point you are so pissed off! If you are to the point of being pissed off then you have to jump it that next try or you will never/probably ever try it. You just have to have some confidence in yourself and in your machine to do what you love to do and that is to ride! Hope that helps.

------------------
"Ride Hard, Die Free"
--TTR-250 MX--

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Not sure how to help you get the nerve to jump something the first time, but...

...once you have jumped something, I suggest that you jump it *every* lap. Some people will wait until they ar halfway to a jump to decide each lap. If you have those doubts, you'll always be hesitant and more likely to have problems.

I still back off and don't jump some things if I feel my approach is wrong, but I enter every turn planning on making the following jump (if it's something I have jumped before).

As far as personally, I watch someone else hit a jump to note their body position, speed, gear, line, and how hard they were on the gas. I've had people follow me over jumps to get their timing down, but that doesn't work for me.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Boy, this is a subject close to my heart. I am intimidated by any double that I can’t see the landing. :eek:

Here’s what I do. I usually jump the first jump and land just before or on the second jump. I’ll do this over and over each time trying to jump a little further. Once I realize that missing (casing the second jump) won’t kill me, I go for it. You use so much less energy doing the double. I know some guys that try to intentionally over jump the second jump and then back off from there.

You can always lie and say you do all the big jumps ;)

------------------
40 something and still no direction except toward the track!

Short term goal: Go riding today
Long term goal: Go riding tomorrow

Hokie

Sponsoring Member
Sep 28, 2000
HLG:

That jumping it every lap thing is definitely key. After the first time it is not so bad. I think that I just need to quit worrying about getting hurt. If not, it is going to turn into a self fulfilling prophecy.

RM_guy:

I don't mind lying to my friends!!
Just not to myself.

Guess I'm just going to have take the Nike advice: JUST DO IT.

'00kx250spode

Oct 21, 2000
I do like RM_guy says. I like to get closer and closer to clearing the jump until finally I'm close enough that I just go for it the next time around. Then I always find that when I clear the jump the landing is much softer. At that point I find myself 'scared' not to give it enough gas to clear the jump.

I learned last weekend that this approach is not always feasible. I came up short on a double (my first attempt) and the landing was so harsh that my head came down so hard my helmet hit the handlebars. The soreness in my neck is just about gone today.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
'00kx250spode,
On jumps where the second jump has a real steep approach to, I just bypass those. I tell everyone (including myself) that I coulda if I wanted to. That way I live to ride again :)

------------------
40 something and still no direction except toward the track!

Short term goal: Go riding today
Long term goal: Go riding tomorrow

Heywood

Feb 18, 2000
When I do something for the first time, I follow someone who has got it dialed (on a similar bike: a 400 thumper doen't fly like a 125 two smoker).

You can do some practice runs and back off at the last minute. When your ready to go for it, try to match the speed of the guy in front and you should be in the ball park.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
I use the same technique as Heywood. Follow someone that is about the same skill level and size of bike. This gives you the feel for the speed and approach needed, etc.

If there is room to the side of the landing ramp try jumping to the side, this lets you know if you will have the distance to clear it or not.

Another way is to start with a table top that is about the same approach, distance and height. If you can clear the table top, then you will be able to clear the double.

I also tell myself that I "can", rather then "I think I can"! Gomer also makes a very good point, jump it every lap. The confidence this gives you will make you a better rider.

_SOLO_

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 15, 2000
You shouldnt jump, closer to the ground is where it is safe, seems that everytime i leave the ground somethin happens

Faldo

Nov 28, 2000
Start out small and work your way up! Start hitting ramp jumps (jumps with no landings.) Then start hitting small 20-25ft table tops and 10-15ft doubles (pre jumps...whoops.) You'll slowly gain confidence, and that's what you need to work your way up to jumping the bigger obstacles.

All these guys are giving you solid advice but I thought that might help as well!

email me.. racer-x@minspring.com

Rusty

viking2

Nov 8, 2000
When I was in the army we got thaught to tell ourselves: "I will rather die than hesitate". Just say those words when aproaching the jump and you will jump. How you land is then up to Newton's laws. Dont do anything stupid though.

John Blaze

Feb 24, 2000
I've found that the way I usually end up jumping that double, step up, table top w/ the 2 foot ruts, etc is peer pressure. I'm serious. I hate to admit it but usually I end up flying way farther and higher than I want it because my friend just did it and he came back and said, "Man, that was easy.".

Just don't jump anything first, let someone else do it first and watch them. If they crash, maybe wait a couple laps, if they land it and you know you were close to their skill level. Roll it, then give it a try. Good luck and happy riding.

------------------
Johnny Campbell
Reno, Nevada
'01 CR500AF
'99 XR442 (For Sale) http://johnnyb.4t.com/forsale.html

Seth_88

~SPONSOR~
Feb 22, 2000
I always watch someone on a same size bike, and then I try to get to land on the face of the second jump so I no how hard to gas it to make it over. The hard part is getting my nerve to try it the first time though.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
Don't forget to squeeze the sides of the bike with your legs!! maybe this will give you some confidence. My first mx race I went to I was totally nervous specially never being on a real MX track before. To make things worse I was ridding an 86 CR125 with a worn out shock. The shock was all rebound and the only compression coming from the spring really. I managed to clear my 1st time ever on this track in practice a 60 foot table top jump on the first pass. I wasn't able to do the double jump even though it looked easy enough, due to my shock and a wicked speed robbing whoop section before it. My friend told me whenever I landed from a jump it looked like my bike bottomed out hard and had no rear suspension. I agree if you jump something and clear it do it every lap! and make sure your elbows and knees are loose! Do not do the death grip thing on the handle bars either use your legs to grip! once I got it down by the 5th lap I was just holding onto the bars to keep the front wheel straight but this was also due to the major arm pump I had and that I could barely hold on but I didn't need to with my arms only my legs hope this helps.

Top Bottom