scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
I was hoping to get some opinions on this.

I ride a '95 KLX340 built by Stoker.

I was changing my oil after our weekend ride and in the filter I found some metal shavings!!!! They are small and look like fine wire. I've never noticed this on my XR and assume its not a good thing. Any ideas?

The bike runs great and I'm having no problems with it. Should I ignore it till she blows? I've heard some bikes have magnetic oil drain plugs to catch these particals. Could it just be normal?

Any help is appreciated.

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
I'm not too familiar w/4-smokes, but I found the same thing in my oil (and I am assuming you mean your gearbox oil). In my case, all it was were the shavings from the metal (either steel or alum.) plates in the clutch. They didn't look like little wires, thou', so it may be something else. Best guess, clutch plates.

KLeeneX300

Dec 4, 1999
Some very tiny metal bits would be OK. I found some little ones (couldn't read a part number on them) in my oil, changed the oil and filter. On my next race the timing chain blew apart. Found big chunks in the oil that time.:(

Jimmy!

Jan 7, 2001
Steel or Alloy fragments? Provided you haven't been into the motor recently and you've been changing the oil regular without any sign of debris in the oil filter up to this point, I'd be a little concerned. If it's a curly-q it may just be a pulled thread from an overtorqued drain plug or bolt. If you're sure that it's not something like that, then it's prolly worth peek under the valve cover, ignition cover and clutch cover to see if there any evidence of impending doom for your engine.

There's a small chance it could be something that was trapped in some other part of the engine and finally made it to the filter though. At the very least, I'd change the oil, do a short ride being hyper-aware of any unusual noises from the engine, then inspect the filter again for debris.

This isn't likely be what you want to hear, but that metal had to come from somewhere.

Good Luck!

:)

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Scar,

I wouldnt worry to much about it, every time i change my oil there is always a few metal shavings in there.
Both my 250F and my 400F have done this, with no problems so far. 2 years of hard riding on the 400F before i sold it.
Its probably coming from the gear box, those teeth and engagement dogs are constantly wearing.

later
mxbundy

MikeOK

Aug 6, 2000
I would be more concerned if the oil filter was clean. That's what it's there for, to trap all the little bits that would otherwise be up in your cylinder doing evil things. Don't worry about it unless you start finding chunks...

smarttoys

Sponsoring Member
Apr 29, 2001
Correct, If you were to work on four stroke bikes and four wheelers for a living, you would see a lot of the same thing. It's very common to find some traces of metal shavings on the oil filter. The filter is doing what it's designed to do. Now if you start hearing noises or your filter is completely plugged with metal (which I have seen a few times) or find larger chunks of metal, then I would be concerned.

Last edited:

Tiger

~SPONSOR~
Aug 21, 2000
Shavings in oil

My 2001 KTM 400 leaves interesting bits of metal for me to find every time. Even when new. Even when ridden very little. That's why we change it often! Ride on and use less boot?

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Thanks for you help.

As I 've noticed it becomeing increasingly hard to start cold. I took it to the dealer. I had alot of " other" projects to do.

It turns out one of the piston rings let loose and basically ruined the top end. the shavings were pieces of the ring. I didn't really want to spend the money on that right know. But It'll be great when repaired. $$$

Hey it's either this or my wife spending it at the mall. :p

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Scar-
Do yourself a favor and buy a magnetic drain plug for $15. It will catch and keep all the shavings from making the "rounds".

WO

Top Bottom