knobby hob

Apr 7, 2002
I just recieved my new S12 rear tire and noticed the rotation arrow on the side. Can this tire be flipped when the leading edge gets rounded? Also, does this create any ill-handeling effects? I`ve read a lot of threads about the durability & hook-up of this tire. Really excited to try it out.

B

biglou

I've got one (M12) sitting under my bench. I don't know if anyone has flipped one, but I would guess that the magical traction these things get (so I hear), would be greatly compromised. I have also heard that they wear very well, so it might be an even trade-Run it one way for twice as long. :)

Jeepboy

Oct 25, 2000
I have flipped my S-12 and have not noticed any adverse effects. We even installed a new S-12 on my friend's bike and noticed that the arrow was backwards, but decided to leave it (it will be forwards when we flip the tire).

Blue Thunder

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2000
S12 can go either way, flipping it works after one side is worn, this tire will hook up until there aren't any knobs left..literally!!!
BigLou, the M12 is directional..but is does throw a punishing roost!!!

steve lafon

Aug 30, 2000
I have ran s12 for years and yes they are directional BUT I do turn them and notice no difference. great tire and most people don't even watch the directional arrow whan they mount them.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
I have flipped the s -12 also with no problems.These tires are excellent.

knobby hob

Apr 7, 2002
Thanks everyone for your replies. It sure is tempting to throw that S12 on, but I`m trying to get that last chunk of done-lop used. Been hitting Milford lateley. Between there and one more Chadwick, it will probablly be time to switch to the Michelin. Thanks again!

derekb_55

Feb 8, 2001
I used the S-12 and it seemed to work great. But as soon as I used it in hard terrain the knobs fell off like crazy. Has anyone else experienced this?

scrambler220

Mar 3, 2000
I've heard the duability of the s-12 is partially dependent on size. From what I remember (on 18-inch rim), the 120 is much more prone to chunking than the 130. Michelin's #'s are also a little different than everybody else, so the 130 is not as wide as it sounds.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
The 130 in a Michelin is the same as a 110 in anyone elses tires. Just subtract 20 from that first number and you'll be there. The tires actually come with little stickers with the corrected size.

The 120 (100 really) size has very small knobs and they don't last as long. Get the 130 or 140.

B

biglou

I was told by my local shop that Michelin was going to correct there size designations to be in line with everyone else. Not sure of the time frame of this, but apparently it is fact. Might ask about that in the near future when ording Michelins.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Derek, the S12 is definitely a soft terrain tire. A M12 or similar will be much better. I personally find the S12 rear to be very good for MX on soft terrain and acceptable on intermediate, but the front is less than great on anything other than soft terrain IMHO. They do seem to be very good in the woods with slippery rocks and roots though.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom