r.2 stroke

~SPONSOR~
Dec 29, 2001
Went for a ride in the woods,and after an hour or so we stopped for a breather and i noticed that there was white milky stuff floating around in my trans oil when i looked at the sight glass(belray gearsasver 80wt).After the ride when i was cleaning the bike(bike now cold) the oil looked completely normal,no milky colour at all,is this normal? is this condensation or do i have a water leak somewhere?

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Sounds like you may have blown the water pump seal. It's allowing radiator fluid into your trans. You should drain it. I imagine the water either floated or sank while the engine wasn't running. It'll drain out. But, I'm pretty sure it's your seal.

speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
Mine does the exact same thing. I thought I had a blown seal but after draining the oil into a jar all I saw was oil. I suggest you do the same for piece of mind. I have been told this is normal as the oil gets all frothed up.
tom
'93kdx200
'91kdx200 needing a rear wheel

Boot

Jun 11, 2002
Unless you got stuck in a river or puddle just beforehand. If so, it could also be because your gearbox breather tube sucked in water from outside (happened to me).

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: oil all frothed up?

I'd suggest a different oil, if that's the case. If air was a good lubricant (that would be the 'froth' part), you wouldn't need ANY oil.

I use motor oil. Valvoline (not that it matters a whole lot). Never any frothing going on. But then, I've never been a bel-ray fan. Don't think much of their gear-saver stuff, neither.

To each his own.

r.2 stroke

~SPONSOR~
Dec 29, 2001
Thanks for all the replies,i drained the oil and had a good look at it,and can't see any sign of water at all,but there was a very slight trace of the milky stuff,don't know what it is,I've refilled it with Motul 10-30wt trans oil and see what happens to this.

ACGUY

Feb 6, 2001
Cover up your site glass with speed tape, and change your oil on a ride schedule. The bikes that don't have a glass don't get squawked for milky oil do they? It is a natural foaming action from the gears. If your water level starts to deplete over time, then you are sucking water into the oil, and seals should be changed. Make sense?

XRDadKDXBeni

Aug 27, 2002
The milky like substance is likely a water oil emulsion. Once cool, the oil and water separate (sometimes) back into their distinct factions. In very rare case (ver old oil with contamination) the emuslion may be hard to break and not settle into separate parts. If there is only a small volume of water and the engine gets hot enough, the water will "boil" out leaving the oil behind. There will likley be a small volume of oil in the trans due to condensation effects after riding - this is normal and the water goes out when the oil gets hot. Still, changing the oil frequently is the best practice. Good luck. XRDad.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom