Instaurare

Sep 22, 2003
Just wondering what KDX owners consider to be the mimimum height necessary for someone to be fully able to control the bike, especially over hilly rough terrain where you may get stalled on a hill over uneven ground and have to restart.

Gunther

Jul 8, 2003
Well, last year the boy was 5' 3" and didn't have many problems. This year he's 6' 1" and I'm gonna have to get some tall seat foam and stuff. Of course this kid is all arms and legs. I'm 5' 11" with a maybe 28-29 inch inseam and I DO NOT stop where there's holes.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
I'm 5'6" and I think the previous owner dropped the front forks and rear shock a little but we raised the rear shock back up a bit(on my '96 200). It's easy to adjust if you need to. But my dad is 6'1" and didn't touch the suspension besides put XR400 fork spring in to make it stiffer(on his '02 220).

If you are strong enough to control the bike and you can touch the ground get one if you havn't. It is easy to adjust the suspension.

Both of our KDX's start on the 2 or 3 kick when cold, first kick if warm.

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
Honestly, its best to get a bike that you can't touch the ground very good on. It forces you to develop the right skills needed to become a good rider, and it stops bad habits like putting your foot down in a corner. I do realize that to operate the bike safely you need to at least be able to tippy toe the ground. You can always by lowering links to make the bike lower if you need. I think the kdx is a perfect bike for a starter and a competetive rider.

Ben

Instaurare

Sep 22, 2003
Thanks to everyone who replied. About a week ago I bought a 220, and promptly got myself stalled in a tight situation over a muddy area a little bit deeper than I expected, with both front an rear wheels over slightly higher ground than I was in the middle. A very uncomfortable feeling, and my height is 5'8.5", with average proportion between legs and torso. So that got me to thinking----is this bike too big for me? Today, I replaced the high density stock foam seat with low density foam, and the feeling over the KDX is much better. Probably will get some tall boots, and just live with it for a while. Chances are I will get used to it. Years before I had a Honda TL 250, a very low trials bike, and the KDX is a very different bike in nearly every way.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
I'm almost 5'3" & have lowered the KDX slightly.
I often find it hard to climb on or off, but have pretty much got it nailed & often just move the bike slightly forward or back. I also try seeing if I can lengthen a leg but just find that painful hehehe
As we ride a pretty tough forest in summer, I've decided to try a TTR125L for it this year to build my confidence & generally make life easier (e-start). People have been expecting me to stop riding the Kdx, but no way, I love that bike too (just not in the summer forest).
If you do decide to get the lowering links, the good thing is it's easy to change back once you do get confident.

Instaurare

Sep 22, 2003
Michele, I ordered some koubalinks #2 for the KDX, and I think that combined with the seat foam change, and the flywheel weight and the 12 tooth front sprocket, I will get a very woods-friendly bike. Much of my backgroung has been mountain bikes, and for a bicyclist, small frame size is extremely important in the woods----you have to be able to straddle the tube by at least 2-3 inches to be properly fitted. As far as increasing the height of the boot soles, most of these boots seem to have a bonded sole, which is incapable of being changed. Still looking though.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
What David Trustrum has done, is have another sole added to his boots. Either email him, or even post in the kdx forum if you want more info (not sure what other forums he does visit). From what I gather, he means he's got 2 soles rather than 1 thicker one, so wouldn't matter about the bonded sole.

We're all individuals & we all need to have the bikes set up how we want them, not how someone else feels we should.

I know I look at people taller than me & wonder why they'd want their bikes lowered but I know a lot depends on terrain etc - confidence is huge for me, I psyche myself out on the stupidest things - major reason for me having bought the baby bike (I've been on the KDX about 3-1/2 years, so basically have decided to try another tactic which seems to be working).

Let us know how it goes & good luck :)
Michelle

Instaurare

Sep 22, 2003
Michelle, I tried to send an email, but the system would not allow me to do so. Instead, I took your suggestion about starting a new thread, and I hope he replies. Thanks for your advice.

--Instaurare

Top Bottom