robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Hi:

In my recent race on 02 RM 125, I kept hitting neutral on the 1st to 2nd shift coming out of two very tight corners - one of which led directly into the whoop section.

I was taking an extreme inside line in an attempt to pass a 250f and the missed shift cost me a pass 2 or 3 times. I hit neutral about 6 times total in that moto.

Is this rider error or some sort of a clutch/tranny problem? In another moto l paid more attention and only hit neutral once. The bike seems to shift just fine otherwise - all other gears ok and I don't seem to miss shifts much at all unless riding 90+%.

I use Mobil1 15w50 Extended Life Motor Oil in the tranny.

Thanks

Rob

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I used to get it with the 04 rm125 sometimes, never really got it to shift as nice as when it was brand new, i wonder what they fill them with from the factory.

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
I do that alot too, I ride a RM. I dunno, if I dont hit it really hard from first to second it does it to me, then I let out the clutch and Im wondering why Im not going anywhere faster then before. I would like to know why it does this too, seeing as it almost made me wreck today.

kxrider777

Jan 21, 2006
I used to have the same problem on my kawasaki. Heres what I did. Remove the shift star and grind the points on it to make them a little rounder and the valleys a little deeper. There is a detent wheel that rides on the shift star and sometimes it gets caught on a flat spot on one of the points, causing the bike to neutralize. I was neutralizing between first and second and between third and fourth, but after that little fix I had no more problems, and it made a cleaner, lighter shift.

Top Bottom