94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
Mo RD Tebbetts Missouri Hare Scramble is known for it fast pace and gnarly creeks. The boys didn't let us down as we ran through the creeks plenty.
Batboy and I took off for a practice loop and right off the bat he takes off flying. We had a pace for the practice lap that is much fatser than my normal race pace. 40 minutes later we were in the pits taking a break for the race that is an hour away. I was thinking that my junior riders lap times are nomally close to 50 minutes and we did a practice lap of 11.6 miles in 40.
On the line, I got a lousy start and was immediately swallowed in dust. I could not see 10 ft in front of me. As we got to the wide open stuff I tried every line possible to get around. After the plywood fence crossing(that thing is so cool) we hit a section of logged out fire roads and the pace became frantic. I was working on a pass in an uphill section when a couple of bikes went down. As I swerved to avoid them I collided with another bike and I went down. Got up and took off only to realize I had no back brake. I rode conservatively until I got the brake working again(boiled it riding the brake..DOH). I picked up the pace and just held the throttle through the creeks. Rocks and water flying everywhere I started making passes. I had no idea where I was at in postion but the course was so fast i couldn't even check my pitcrew as I flew by. I finally caught up with 2 vet riders and we freight trained for 3 laps. I never lost site of them and finally made some passes.
Ended up 3rd in class, 28th overall with a 22 mph average!! TOP Speed 80.4 mph. I think I am buying a Harley flat tracker for next year! Bat boy running 7th, flatted in 2nd lap and called it a day. Steve levain won(for the 9th time in his career at Tebbet Brandon Forrestor 2nd.

Last edited:

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
Kevin - was nice to see you yesterday. Fast does not begin to describe the course. I'm betting that next year, the logged-out area will be made into another motocross track in the woods (actually, the whole course is basically motocross in the woods). Loved the spot where we dipped down into a deep gully and straight up the other side, getting airborne at the top...didn't realize how much air until a guy went up it right in front of me. Must have been 5 feet off the ground. Saw a guy stall his bike on the plywood fence crossing and another guy (Nick Crawford, I think) bite it hard over the WFO terrace jumps. All I can say, is thank God for steering dampers!

jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
Man did I take a pounding from the rocks. I rode a practice lap and managed 3 laps during the race, fading badly on my last. I didn't feel right until about 8 last night. Mild case of heat exhaustion, I think.

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
I knew it was going to be fast when Tyler the batboy cranked out a 38 minute lap on a lowerd kx 80...then he had a flat. Lotsa flats around our camp.

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
yeah, there were several jumps in the course. The terrace jumps gave me the willies as it kicked the bike sideways. I was actually looking behind me at one ppoint, bike completely sideways and throttle pinned. I am sstill stuttering ffrom the ffright bbut managed to stay on the bike

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
I finally gave up on S-12's after my flat at Marshfield. Sidewalls too flimsy (still great for mud, though). Believe me, I tested the Bridestones on Sunday! Near the end, was fun to watch the AA's go over the terrace parallel to the gravel road, the one that kicked the bike sideways. Big air all over that place.

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
Yep, I had way too many pinch flats on the Michelins. great mud tires but too flimsy. I am running a Pirelli on the rear made for 500cc bikes. It is a huge donut but i can run 13psi and not worry about flats, the tire hooks up beautifully and I have been racing on it since Kahoka and will have enough meat for 1 or 2 more races depending on where I practice.. Running a bridgstone m59 on the front. Good tire!

Top Bottom