JMD

Jul 11, 2001
My son and I will be passing through Moab early in September, and will have our motorcycles with us. What is the best one-day ride in the area for a pair of pretty experienced off-road riders? I'd like a combination of scenic vistas, cool narrow canyons, some technical sections, fast, fun trails--I want it all. Any recommendations?

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Rog, you should seriously consider meeting us there. We're going to hit Moab the evening of Sept. 2, ride all the next day. Then we're driving to Cloudcroft for another day of riding on the 5th, and maybe the 6th, too. Come for Moab and Cloudcroft, or just meet us in CC. No blue bikes.

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
If I only had one day...

Here are some options:

Hells Revenge to Slickrock to Fins&Things to Porcupine Rim

This is a good ride, if you start early you can probably finish with time to do another ride in the evening.

Poison Spider Mesa to Golden Spike to Golden Crack

This is one of my favorites, but it is easier to be dual sported on this one. You can ride it out and back no problem but depending on skills it may be an all day event.

For technical... Pritchett Cyn take it out to behind the rocks then go south on the highway (about a mile) to Kane creek (fun fun fun)

If you want detailed info send me an e-mail

Here is some info on many of these trails CLICK!

Rod

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Great info, Rod. I think we're going to ride North Logan for one day then head to Moab. After all, after riding here in Texas' 100-degree heat, Moab can't be much worse. Can't wait to see those amazing formations. Thanks again.

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
I would recommend getting the "Moab East" and Moab "West" maps from Latitued 40 HERE

They cover the area pretty well.

Two other options...

If you can squeeze them in Top of the world (short 10 mile trip) is AWESOME but way outside of town (I try to do it going home)

and Klondike Bluffs (9 miles out of town) you have to hike the last 1/2 mile as it is in Arches Nat'l park but totally worth it. (do this one if you have a couple hours to kill but not enough time to do a longer ride)

again if you want more info e-mail me (I can send pictures too!) :thumb:

Last edited:

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Two questions: do you think we need to take a guided tour, or can we get around OK on our own; and two, should we get a GPS unit? By the way, your mailbox is full Rod.

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
oops sorry I cleaned it out. Click on my profile and send an e-mail directly to me.

No need to do a tour or even get the GPS.

The trails are all very close to town and well marked (Golden Spike to Gold bar can be tricky) The Latitude 40 maps will do fine. I can get you to about any of the trails you want. Plan on having company out there too as Sept. is pretty popular. The whole town is reliant on the Jeep/Bike/Mtn. Bike crowd so you can litterally ask anywhere where the trails are.

If spending the night...I like the Super 8 ( 435/259-8868) clean rooms, hot tub and pool. Reasonable rates too.

If Mamma wasn't having a baby November 9th...I'd take a jaunt out and give you a tour! ;)

altagirl

~SPONSOR~
Mar 17, 2003
We like Monitor and Merrimac as an "on the way home" ride too. Good combo of sand and big slickrock fields. There are a few sections of slickrock that look so steep and off camber you wouldn't think it's possible to ride, but you stick like glue.

Kane Creek is a blast too. We've done it in combination with Behind the Rocks and Pritchett Canyon (if you do a loop you're on the highway for a few miles though). Kane Creek is fast paced, but really fun - rocks, dips and sand, with tons of water crossings (in the spring anyway). Pritchett Canyon is a lot more technical - lots of rock obstacles.

Doesn't hurt to get the maps, but most trails are well marked (I've heard Gold Bar Rim/Gold Spike are the exception). I don't see any need for a guide - just follow the trail and watch for symbols or dashes painted on slickrock and rock cairns that mark the way- it can be a little confusing when you get on a big expanse of slickrock and all of the sudden you can't see tracks - just keep an eye out for cairns and paint. Also - familiarize yourself with the "cryptobiotic crust" so you don't touch it - big environmental/access issue since it takes decades to recover. If you don't know what it looks like (basically black crusty stuff growing on the sand), you can check at the visitors center (right at the center of town) - also a good place to find maps, trail guide books, and lodging/camping info.

Have fun! We stopped and did a quick ride on the way home from Durango last Sunday - the views and terrain never cease to amaze...

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom