fundgh

Feb 17, 2005
I went ahead and cut the seat foam down on my KDX 220. Here is what I learned:
1. Wire wheels take foam off very well, but make a huge mess.
2. I lowered the seat height considerably (maybe 2")
3. The existing One Ind. cover is really hard to stretch, and doesn't really fit right after the mod.
4. The electric stapler I have (about the most powerful electric you can get at Home Depot) barely works. It took about 150 staples to get 50 that stick.

Questions I have: Do gripper seat covers stretch more or less than other? When you get them new, do they have plenty of material to stretch around a modified seat? Can I buy the original foam preformed for the KDX?

It was a tough job, but the result is acceptable, and I still plan on changing it eventually.

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
The gripper seat covers do stretch & have a lot of extra material. Contact the dealer & ask how much the foam is. I'm not sure if they sell just the foam. If not find someone who does upholstry(Spell incorrect) & ask them for help

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
Heat the cover and plastic up with a hairdryer like mentioned above and it will help out a lot. I have an electric staple gun also and I couldn't get to many staples to go into the plastic and hold the cover correctly but once I was able to heat it up it worked a lot better. I also have a one industries gripped and love it, it was easy to stretch and make it contor to the foam really well.

Tom L

Dec 18, 2004
I used a belt sander on my kx500 seat to make it more rounded and narrow. It worked great! I used a standard manual staple gun to put the cover back on. Had no problem there either. It looks professional and up to date. It's much more comfortable and I can touch the ground better. The kx500 seat it awesome! It's slightly more firm than the kdx, yet much softer than other bikes. I don't know if one would fit on a kdx though.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
The electric carving knife works great. I used it to remove height, and then wrapped a piece of sandpaper around a piece of 2x4 to round-off the edges and smooth-out. Works like a champ. Staple front and rear of cover first, then stretch sides around like mad! I have good luck with an Arrow hand stapler, just make sure to use staples with points (not square ends).

Woodsquest

I love DRN!
Dec 15, 2004
If you need a replacement stock seat foam for your bike, I have one I can give you. E-mail me your address and I'll send it your way.

Woodsquest

I love DRN!
Dec 15, 2004
fundgh: I sent you the foam some time ago. Haven't heard; did you get it?

fundgh

Feb 17, 2005
Why do people want taller seats? The guy I bought my bike from had put the tall seat on, but he was only 5'10" at the most. What does a taller seat do for your riding? Also. I did get the foam from woodsquest... it really goes to show what kind of support this group of KDXers is, and what good people you all are. Thanks for everything!

StrokesX2

Mar 2, 2005
There is a description of the tall seat under the tech tips section of the justKDX website under mods for tall riders. I have a 35 inch inseam. When I'm on the KDX my legs are at such an angle it takes a lot of effort to stand up, kind of like standing up from a squating position instead of a sitting position. I'm hoping the taller seat foam will help this situation.

fundgh

Feb 17, 2005
Speaking of RDs and Seat foam, I am putting my RD back together after and extended tear down. I am trying to figure out what to do with my seat. I might do something custom, or go with the stock shape... not sure. By the way, where is a good place to order a seat cover for the KDX?

Top Bottom