mark widerman

Oct 25, 2006
when i changed my engine and trans oil i think i put moly in the tran will this hurt the trans i got the oil from honda both were 10w40 both were synstetic oil one with moly one without and i think i mixed them up should i be concerned
thx for any imput

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
If you used the moly on the transmission side the worst case is the clutch will be grabby, or start slipping. You would have to clean the moly oil out and change the clutch fiber plates if that were the case. It won't hurt the transmission.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Although oils that are formulated with moly could possibly plate out your clutch causing some slip, it is very unlikely that you will be able to find any passanger car, diesel, or moto specific oil with any MoS2 form of moly in it.
Most of the oils we use will formulate using another form of moly, MoDTC, which shows to interact fine with modern wet clutch assemblies, as long as there aren't massive levels, and the base oil stays within it's viscosity range.

Many oils we use have moly in them, and there are no adverse clutch results using them. Redline oils have higher moly content than most any other, and wet clutch users find their products to be fine for use.
Mobil Racing 4T also has a dose of moly in it...and it is still MA rated. Which means that the oil can obtain a certain number during a static and dynamic friction test, on a machine that is similar to how a wet clutch operates. Mobil uses MoDTC.

Mobil also formulates the Honda oils. You probably can't tell one bit of difference between using the MA rated Honda oil and the MB rated oil.
I doubt very seriously that you need to clean your clutch parts simply because you used the MB rated Honda oil.
If you had used an industrial gear oil, there could be reason for concern.

Also keep in mind that moly, in any form, will not adhere to the fiberous surfaces of a clutch. It only works with metal.

Top Bottom