tjwandel

Sep 25, 2001
I recently purchased a Moose pipe guard for my 02' KTM 200exc. I have attempted to bend the guard into the correct shape with no luck so far. Does anyone have any ideas on how to bend the guard? I was thinking about taking it to a local muffler shop to see if they have some tools that might make it easier. Right now, I'm at a standstill with the project. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tom

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I did the main bends in a bench vise and then moved on to bending the individual fingers around the pipe. The easiest way to bend the fingers is to purchase some extra hose clamps and use those to bend the fingers to the shape of the pipe. I used a cordless drill with a socket attachment to tighten the pipe clamp around each opposing finger, which would wrap them around the circumference of the pipe almost perfectly. I have used the same pipe guard on three pipes now and it fits perfectly. The reason for the extra clamps is that you will probably go through a few of them making the pipe guard fit.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Extra clamps do help but what I found worked the best is some heat. A propane torch was enough to allow you to for it quite easily around the pipe. Just be carful not to melt the guard:( If you do it will break but it is easily rewelded (don't ask how I konw:scream: )

Here's mine:

Attachments

• pipe gaurd.jpg
    pipe gaurd.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 269

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
after hearing many horror stories from riding buddies about forming these to their pipes,(2 -3 hours of bending and cursing??) I opted for the eline carbon fiber guard. It is pre-formed and just needs 2 hose clamps. And as a bonus, my bike was quieter with it on, couldnt understand it myself, must be something with insulating the expansion chamber, my wife even noticed it was quieter.

Oct 14, 1999
I've installed several of these over the years, and never had too much trouble. Get a long screwdriver or drift punch and use it as a lever through the holes in the armor to bend the armor to fit the pipe.

Top Bottom