dejacky

Oct 14, 2001
I had my heart set on a yz250f, but now I want a bike sooner for cheaper. I'm considering 98/99-2001 125's that are used, since they will be cheaper. I'd be riding the bike 1-2 times a week via motocross/forest trails in Austin, Texas. I'd like the bike to be able to perform well in sx though. I'd like this bike to be powerful stock, very cheap maintenance, and be able to compete/beat a yz250f. Any suggestions? I saw some nice priced 1999 kx125's, but would like some more insight. Thanks.

-dejacky

Last edited:

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Very powerful, very cheap, and low maintenance don't usually go hand-in-hand, especially on a 125.

Any late-model 125 is powerful, will work fine on trails if ridden properly, and will be very competitive with a talented rider on board. Find a bike that you feel is a good deal, and go enjoy your new ride. Color doesn't matter, just pick a brand that has good local dealer or shop support.

dejacky

Oct 14, 2001
spanky250 thanks for the reply, although i was hoping for an answer pointing me towards a bike that tended to break down less than others.:(

-dejacky

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
Originally posted by dejacky
spanky250 thanks for the reply, although i was hoping for an answer pointing me towards a bike that tended to break down less than others.:(

-dejacky

You could have the best mechanically sound bike in the world, if the previous owner didn't take care of it, you'll have probs not matter what colour you pick. Get something that has been well maintained and you'll have a blast.

dejacky

Oct 14, 2001
that is true Hucker, but do u think i can get a good used 125cc, preferably 1998 or younger for $2500? I weigh 160lbs w/out equipment and am 5'11. Would a 250 be better for me? agghh, this is too confusing for me. I want a good bike, but can't afford to buy something that will break down on me, since i'm paying for school too.

-dejacky:silly:

kingriz1

Aug 2, 2001
Ahhh how I miss Austin!

Young beautiful women cheap Liquor oh yeah and a great School.

Lake Travis is the BOMB!!

Sorry did I say bomb? Not a good word for a brown man to say these days.

Check the Cycle Trader for Austin available at Stop n go or 7-11.

Also

www.cylcetrader.com

Add in Zip codes of surrounding areas. I bet you will find a bunch.

Good Luck!

Kingriz1

dejacky

Oct 14, 2001
yeah, i already tried cycletrader..no luck. Everything seemed overpriced imho. btw, what does "obo" mean on those sales? thanks again!

-dejacky

kingriz1

Aug 2, 2001
It means Or Best Offer.

You say 97 is too old? Have you rode alot? I have a 91 that I thought was too old too but remember it is 95% rider. This guy next to my store here has a 97 or 98 rm 125. It is off the superscross circuit. Wow is it fast! Specailly built by some sponsored guy. I can find out more if you like. If I had the dough I would buy it. It sounds like no other 125 you have heard. Being off the supercross circuit it has all the factory sponsors and cool suspension. Specailly ported and so on. I bet we could get them down to a reasonable price. The guys are mechanics and really maintain the bikes.

Most people pad their asking prive so they have room to negotiate. Just go look at them and offer what you want. All they can do is say no. you will be surprised. i have seen them come down 1,000 dollars and more. you should easily get 15% off the price and most of the time more.

Sincerely,

kingriz1

dejacky

Oct 14, 2001
thanks for the advice kingriz. Thoserm125's off the supercross circuit sound interesting. But, it also concerns me that they were raced hard. Tthe bike I plan to buy will be a 1 time investment & I want it to last LONG. I don't want to be doing topends frequently/etc to keep it alive. I would be riding the bike a maximum of 3 times a week most likelyfor 2-3hour time periods.:p :confused:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by dejacky
I don't want to be doing topends frequently/etc to keep it alive. I would be riding the bike a maximum of 3 times a week most likelyfor 2-3hour time periods.:p :confused:

If you are going to ride it that much you'll be doing frequent top-ends, either that or picking engine parts out of your silencer.

kingriz1

Aug 2, 2001
I dont know but the more I read the more I think that it is better to buy a well maintaned racer than a bike from a guy who never did any maintenence. Redoing the top end is just something you have to do with a two stroke.

Sincerely,

Riz

RMrider

~SPONSOR~
Jun 18, 2001
Dejacky,

You jsut missed out. Last week that the Taylorville,Il mx there was a 2000 KX125 for sale for only $2000. I kept thinking that it was a pretty low price but the must have wanted to get it gone. The only thing I could tell it needed was a pipe as the stock one had a pretty heaft dent in it. Total investment $2200 with new pipe. not bad at all.

Ty

kingriz1

Aug 2, 2001
<Mod Edit>

This is the third time you've posted the SAME ad in the wrong forum. Would ya knock it off?
Your original post is in the For Sale forum where it belongs.

<end edit>

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
motocross/forest trails in Austin, Texas.

Huh? :think I'm missing something here. If your talking about Emma Long / City Park a trials bike might be a better choice ;) Where exactly are you planning to ride? Since I live here too I thought I was pretty up on all the riding areas.:)

dejacky

Oct 14, 2001
don't know where to ride yet in austin. I just wanted a "rocket" kind of bike that jumps well, is FUN, & not a laborous beast to maintain. I don't want the XR's since they endo over a lot of jumps & are heavy. I guess trail riding a 125 would still be kinda fun/adventorous no?

-dejacky

dejacky

Oct 14, 2001
gave it more thought. Turns out a 250 2-stroke would last longer for me since i'm kinda heavy for a 125 (170 w/ all gear). Did some research & the 98, 99 yz250's seem to be great bikes. So far this will be what I look to buy in April 2002. Any other bike suggestions? Thanks.

-dejacky:)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
You might want to investigate what options are available to you for riding in the area before making a final choice. Unless you have connections with people that have land suitable for riding, are willing to drive to Bastrop to one of the two public tracks (when they are open), or have a membership in the private lease AMSA holds your choices are limited. NOBODY does much in the way of "jump" riding at Emma Long / City Park, if you plan on it sell tickets 'cause you'll need the cash for repairs to both you and your bike. Places to ride in central Texas are not as abundant as some might think.

dejacky

Oct 14, 2001
Patman,
I found some mx style tracks in Austin, on the web, I think one was free while the others required small fee'slike $5, etc.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
:think

OK:silly:

Sure would like a list. That way I could try some new places.:)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom