Motocross Room - Need your help...

Crispy

Boss's Lil' Sis
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2001
Hi all!!!
I am planning on turning my office at home into a Motocross themed room, and need some help with the design.

I cant decide on a paint color. My first thought was to paint one wall "Chrome" but then I couldnt come up with the other wall color. Jim suggested I paint each wall to match the major bike colors, but I had to say no to that. Way to busy for me

So, I am stuck. I am planning on one wall being my DRN DW poster wall...and then putting up some shelves, but just cant get past the paint issue. So, if you guys and gals have any suggestions, I would love to hear them. I am trying to keep it somewhat subdued... dont want to have to spend a whole lot of time re doing it when we go to sell.
Thanks for your help!

Chris

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Of course I would pick doing a wall in chrome and another with Yamaha blue, but that's because I ride a Yamaha. ;) But Yamaha blue does look good in a house, and goes well with either white or wood trim. How about chrome or grey with a checkered flag theme or border, if you don't wanna go too crazy with a permanent effect? Depending on how many doors are in the room, you could do neutral walls and paint the doors the respective bike colors (blue, red, yellow, green, orange). Or do a split deal, like bottom of the room Yamaha blue, top chrome, with a checkered flag border or white or black trim, etc.... in between.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Okay, I have some ideas, you may not like them, but maybe they solve the paint issue.

I keep old sprockets. I plan on one day using them to make a border around the top of a wall, or something else. They're flat, easy to hang, and a neat to look at. You could get DRN'ers to send you their old ones & in a day have enough to do a whole dang wall (benefits of being Okie's sister, not to mention being an all around cool person at DW).

Pistons, handlebars, old grips, old goggles, lenses, levers, old plastics... you can do a lot with that stuff. As long as you get it right, it won't look lame. I mean, it all has to make sense. And it has to be done all the way. Like one time, we collected Taco Bell ashtrays (they had these gold colored tin ashtrays in the Taco Bell in Longview, Texas). We collected enough of them to do our whole dorm room. Some other kids thought it was neat, so they got about 20 or so & stuck them randomly around their room. It looked dumb.

Oh, and if you'd like to leave the walls white... how about making tread marks on the walls in brown (dirt) color? Or take an awesome famous MX picture (or that great pic of Billy railing a berm at DW?) and make an outline of it (I don't know what they call it when there's just a few lines of an image) then paint it on a large scale on the wall.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
zio said:
(I don't know what they call it when there's just a few lines of an image)
Embossing?

I like the idea of sprockets along the walls. Could do it at the half way level (can't recall if that's a "chair rail" or "wainscotting" -- I didn't pay enough attention to Bob Vila I guess) all along the wall.

Sounds cool! good luck.

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
I was thinking close to what Nikki suggested. Do the chrome color on the bottom half of the room and do a black/white check as the border.(chair rail height). Paint the upper half white (that way you aren't prejudice of any motorcycles) and add color by putting pics on the wall, of all the DRN or motorcycle events that has taken place. You can blow up some of your favs as posters. If there is a window in the room, think of some motorcycle parts that can be used to hang up a valance of some sort. For my sons fishing room, we took a tree limb as the rod and use real fishing hooks to hang up the valance I made. The boys are getting new rooms and Nick wants a motorcycle room. If I think of any other ideas, I'll let you know.

Mrs. Gnarlykaw (Linda)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Don't forget the race gas spray bottle for the essence of the outdoors! Make a rim and tire supported coffee table, a bike stand for a foot stool and some Billy Who factory fill bottles for some decoration with flowers.

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
We thew around the Idea of taking a transperancy sheet and tracing a pic of a bike/rider doing a jump,(probley a whip from RC or Bubba). Then using an overhead projector and making it lifesize on the wall and just outlining it.

For covering it up at move time, use Kilz paint.
We will need pics when your finished of course.

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
Crispy,

Check Wallpetals.com. I just found it while surfing around. Go to boys rooms, click on motorcycles and it has a lot of borders with motorcycles, plus border with the checkered flag and one with tire tracks (pretty cool!!)

Mrs. G

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
You can rent an opaque projector and then get a cool picture or logo and project it onto the wall and trace it. Paint it and you'd have one cool wall.

A huge Fox logo or a silhouette of a whipped out bike would be awesome on a wall IMO.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Huge FOX logo? You've got to be kidding mister.
I can think of at least one logo that would be better, lol.

Cool stuff!

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Okiewan said:
Huge FOX logo? You've got to be kidding mister.
I can think of at least one logo that would be better, lol.

Cool stuff!

OK! OK! How 'bout a MSR logo, or ANSWER logo, or PRO TAPER logo, or a BillyWho logo, or an ASTERISK logo, or maybe even a DRN logo? lol!

It is just that the Fox logo is cool. Look how long it has been around in various forms... You see a Fox logo and think MX. Well, I do anyway....

But that opaque projector idea has been in my head for a while. I plan on doing something in my kid's rooms. Paint is cheap decorating... :cool:

B

biglou

Here's an idea on the sprockets: Cut them in half and use them as a border around the top of a wall(s). Like they're sticking out of the ceiling. Half circle pointing down. This would take some work, but require half as many sprockets!

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
I don't think I saw it mentioned yet but if cost is not an option...I'd have a COMPLETE bike mounted to either the wall or hanging from the ceiling somewhere. How big is the room? It wouldn't be all that hard to run supports/ wires from the rafters or studs. Find some cheap old beater bike and just fix it up so it looks nice (who cares if it runs). That would score high on the coolness factor in my book. Just my .02. :)

Good luck, and yes we all want to see pics when it's done. :cool:

Crispy

Boss's Lil' Sis
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2001
Thanks everyone! You all threw out some great ideas! Definately gave me a lot to think about. I am really liking the idea of chrome/white walls and a checkered flag look, but I need to think about this some more! I did think about the projected image on a wall and tracing it, but my best friend just did that for her kid (RC of course) and wouldnt want to look like a copy cat! If you come up with more, keep em coming.

Mrs G - thats a great website... I really like a few of those borders! The different action shots border is probably one of my favorite...I will have to keep that in mind!!

And Zio - I always knew I liked you! :-)

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I wanted to find or take a paneramic picture from a suite box at the Dallas SX or a outdoor national (preferrably) and have it blown up to cover one whole wall of my home office (like wall paper). Maybe even put a frame around it so it looks like your look out a window or something. I would cover the wall with masonite or other thin smooth wood so that I could take it down with easy without damage to the dry wall. I've seen it done for a hockey fan. They took the pic from a seat during a game. Looked very cool.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
I thought about this also, for a room above a workshop. Office in the sense that you have to do something besides - looking at a full size bike (77 CR250) enclosed in a built-in case on one wall with jerseys. A flat screen or rear projection built into another wall for running endless moto movies and races, The usual poster/picture wall (not the thumbtacked variety), and one wall with a couch and the unavoidable entry door (of course I did consider a spriral staircase coming up through the floor. This room would also be accesible through a second story porch and slinging window/doors (probably the poster wall. Paint is not a concern to me, I feel it detracts too much from the important stuff. I did consider having a textured ceiling with light reflecting sparkles that would illuminate (ever so slightly) while I had all the lights off and the races on). Now to tear down the garage and bulid the workshop! Wait a minute, the floor. I have looked at the interlocking 12 by 12 inch plasic panels. They are black and white which are used on garage type floors. They are plastic so the fllor would not be plush and comfy but ya gotta sacrifice somewhere.

Top Bottom