Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
Hey,
My uncles got like a ~'85 something Cuddy Cabin motor boat. Its got a Mercury(I think) V-8 in it, same as in cars. Well, its ~18 years old and the cooling system wasnt working too well last year. Since its used in a bay, I guess the salt water has corroded inside the engine. The engine would be on the verge of overheating, just from going through the lagunes(sp?) out to the bay. He would have to idle it everywhere, and we couldnt go far, or else the engine would seriously overheat. He tried removing the thermostat on engine, but that would just temperarily fix the problem, it would just take a little tiny bit longer for it to overheat compared to when thermostat in. He was looking at getting a rebuilt engine, but they are like $1,500. We could probably pull the engine and clear out cooling system, but he doesnt have time to. So, I was wondering if there were some magic acid that would you could pump through cooling system to dissolve all the corrosion build up, without destroying gaskets or anythign else important in comes in contact with. The boat is on cinder blocks in yard at his lagun house, so it wouldnt be hard to pump something through system. Since salt from the water is the thing that probably is what solidified inside system, is there some chemical that will just attack salt???? So does anyone know of a secret product or ANYTHING that will unclog cooling system, anyone?

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Have you checked the impeller in the lower unit? Thats the 1st place to start

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I used to drop a bottle of clr in my cars that were acting up, I'd run it through there and take a drive, come home and drain it all, and flush it, then fill it back up with antifreeze and water... It might be a little more involved with a boat. And it only helped the calcium buildup in the radiator and engine.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Thats kinda tough on a boat since there is no closed cooling system.

KDX1

Mod Ban
Jun 5, 2001
Another area to check would be the exhaust elbows/risers. These have openings that water and exhaust flow through and when salt passes through them they gradually close up and their efficiency to cool properly is greatly deminished. Last time I worked at a shop, i believe the risers are going to cost about around $200 -$300 for a set.

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
Thanks for the replies. I'll tell him about the impellar in the lower unit and the exhaust elbow/risers. Although some sort of cycling system could probably be put together to cycle something through the system, I think CLR is for calcium, lime and rust, but i'll tell him about that too.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by Offroadr
Have you checked the impeller in the lower unit? Thats the 1st place to start

Ditto! the little rubber impeller should be replaced every couple year's.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom