labby9

Sep 25, 2001
Howdy Folks,

I'm in the process of ordering some new gear. I would appreciate opinions of the MSR System X Helmet and Vented Pants.

I wear knee braces so the pants need to have some extra room. I hate to order the helmet and pants only to find out they don't perform very well. I ride trails, HS, and enduro... no MX.

All opinions welcome,
Brad

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
Labby9,

Sorry, no experience w/ MSR . I bought fox 360 vented pants last year. Closeout. There is plenty of room for shinguards and Braces in them. Don't even remember what I paid, I know the pants have saved my arse at least once ;) Hold up well also.

GoodLuck,

Chief

Hick

Aug 15, 2000
Bought the MSR vented gear about two months ago, I have about 10 rides in it. For background I’ve also tried Thor vented gear from two years ago, as well as last years Moose Sahara offering, and I wear knee guards but not braces and ride off road in the (hot) desert.

The pants are PLENTY roomy for knee braces, guards, a pair of depends, whatever. They run a bit large but not enough for me to recommend buying a smaller than normal size, and they are cut very, very roomy. Come to think of it they are the roomiest pair of pants I’ve tried in recent memory (I have some other Moose gear, XCR I think, and some Thor Core and that is about it for reference points).

The pants also appear to be very durable, and have held up well to the Mesquite onslaught that has resulted in many tears to my Thor and Moose vented pants. They don’t flow as much air as the Moose pants but the tradeoff is they are much sturdier. Compared to unvented pants they do offer a noticeable amount of air flow.

Are you not getting the jersey??

The jersey would be like wearing none, very vented. The only problem I have with this product is the sleeves are cut a bit short with large cuffs, I suppose to promote more airflow. IMO this is a little silly since the sleeves are pure mesh, you don’t need bigger cuffs to allow the air in. Why do I care? Because the sleeves ride up your arms and the Mesquite onslaught is free to tear up my forearms.

Here is an action shot that shows the sleeves:

MSR-Vented.jpg

As for the helmet I’ve got a two year old MSR Super Light, it is made by KBC and is an excellent helmet. My brand new Shoei VFX-R doesn’t have anything on this helmet, so I have a pretty good opinion of KBC helmets, but am not sure who is making the new System X.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom