Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
At present you can still get MX-1000 and Ultra-Film in five gallon containers, UPS shippable. Both have improved polyol ester formulations.
800-837-5667 Ext.201
barb @ digilube.com

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
MX-1000 has molybdenym disulfide in the formula, and Ultra-Film does not.
Ultra-Film uses a chemical type EP additive in a polyol ester base.
MX-1000 has the same EP add. in polyol ester, but with moly added.
Ring chains usually will not benefit greatly from a moly rich formula, although both are fine to use.
I personally use the MX-1000 on all type chains. Most street guys like Ultra-Film because it is almost clear, is very clean, and almost all of the "wet" evaporates.
MX-1000 acts the same way, but it always has the black moly look. Although, the only way you could tell if a man was using one of the other would be to look at his sprocket teeth, as the moly will build up a black/gray film on them at the tips (a good thing).
Both can be cleaned up with a clean cloth and just a wipe. No tackifiers at all.

piperpilot12w

Jan 26, 2004
I had a couple questions for Jaybird.

Just received a 5 gallon container of MX-1000 chain lube. Does the container need to be shaken up good to get the full effect?

I plan to use the MX-1000 on a dirt bike standard chain. Also, I have a street bike with an O Ring chain. My understanding is that an O Ring chain has the lubricant sealed inside, and the only maintenance is to clean and oil it to keep the O Rings soft. Gear oil is recommended to use on the chain. Will the MX-1000 be suitable for this use instead of gear oil?

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
The MX-1000 will do a much better job than the gear oil on the ring chain.
A ring chain does have internal lube sealed in, but it also has rollers that are not lubricated. These need to be lubed, as well as the rings need periodic lubrication to keep them supple. Neglecting to keep the rings clean and lubed can cause them to fail.

MX-1000 is loaded with molybdenum disulfide, which is basically a powdered mineral. The larger particles do fall out of suspension. I would advise shaking the can up real well before using, but if you happed to not shake it, it will still be well fortified with plenty of lubricating solids in a polyol ester and solvent carrier.

Dry-film goes further than any other lube. It will spread out amazingly well with just a small drop or two. And don't be afraid to use it even during the ride when your chain may have dirt on it. It will go on and penetrate to the friction points just fine.

Once you get used to how this type of fluid acts, you will get better at using it.

piperpilot12w

Jan 26, 2004
Thanks so much for the info. I have learned a lot about chains and proper lubrication through your replies to my questions and others. I now look at my chain in a different way, knowing that it's clean, properly adjusted, and has the best lubricant available.

Top Bottom