KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
Upon entering MX racing it was quite obvious every class whether beginner, “C” or “B” had its handful of sand braggers, we all know the types. As you become better in your self-elected class you go from being in the rear 33% - middle 33% eventually your in the top 33%.

At the risk of getting beat up here’s the problem and please, let’s not make this a 2T-4F which is better discussion. That having been said, should you find yourself in that upper 33% in the 125 “C” class and your riding a 125 it’s highly likely your skill is what is getting you to the occasional podium (that being 4-3-2). Now, here you are approaching the 2007 season and thinking of Loretta’s. Should you stay in “C” bore to a 144 your now competitive whereas you may be able to qualify with those 5-10% sand baggers that actually should have moved onto “B” two years ago or should you bore to 144 and go to “B” where it is likely skill parity removes the advantage and you’ll find yourself in the middle 33% where chances of qualifying diminish dramatically. While I favor the first alternative feeling I’ve earned the right at an honest shot and staying “C” is my way of compensating for the technology advantage of the 4F, admittedly skill level says move onto “B” where you belong.

Thoughts opinions?

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
i'd go with B. higher competition improves your skills more rapidly then if you were to race with/against a lower competition. yeah probably a lot of the races you won't be on the podium, but you will be learning a lot more from other riders while your on the track

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I agree with MX86, but I have seen alot of guys sandbaggin in c and b , keeping their RPG low! Lorettas is the best foot to a sponsor or pro card. Personally I wouldn't gloryfy c class at all!

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Or do you bite the bullet, switch to the easier to ride thumper, and move into the B class? Unfortunately, if you are gunning for Loretta's, this may be your best chance. My personal opinion is that you should ride where you belong, that way you can look in the mirror and know that you are doing the right thing. Let your conscience be your guide on this one.

note: I used the spell check on this one because I wasn't sure how one of the words should be spelled. It worked. :laugh:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I got lost after the first or second time you said "B" . . .

BUT, if you are competitive with the sandbaggers, doesn't that make you a sandbagger? I'm not trying to argue anything.

If I were benevolent dictator, there would be no "C" or "B" classes at Loretta Lynn's. Only "A" Class, because anyone below that IS a sandbagger. It would encourage everyone to improve and move up so they could go to the nationals, and it would cut back the program to something more manageable.

hangtown

Dec 13, 2006
:ride: :ride: I'd let that sand baggers hang back, sounds like you haved the skill to move forward where the competition is better and will your skill level improve, there will always be baggers.......

go for the glory! :ride:

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
If you are serious about going to LL's stay in the C class.

Robbie Horton raced B until he turned pro for the LL victories.

Sandbaggers are everywhere and there is nothing you can do about it but LL is VERY strict about their rules. If you run B anywhere you will become ineligible for the C class, even if you are trying to just gauge your speed against them.

I have a friend who is an A class rider who a few years ago tried to go to LL's in 250C and made it to the regionals but didn't get to the dance. The C class at LL is pretty competitive.

I hate sandbagging as a general rule but if your goal is LL then you have to play by their rules and their "game."

Good luck with your choice and if you get to LL let us know!

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
If your ama RPV is above 10 you go to B, RPV in B class above 15 you go to A. So you sit home two thirds of the year and not go to ama sanctioned events, or go practice a heck of alot. Biggest classes at the track, c class, most money spent on after market parts, c class, make them move to b class and most of them disappear off the planet, whats left goes to b, of that the maybe 10 that get moved to A ,3 or 4 might show. Offer A class race discounts for bringing in old trophies for b&c. The sandbaggers class and A class would be an interesting lineup!

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
We faced this very same quandry (threw that in to confuse Pred) last year and this year. My son never raced C as I believed he had the experience and skill in 85s and schoolboy that he would be a sandbagger. His first season in B was a struggle to get a top 10 but every season since he has improved to the point if he stays up he will most likely be in the top 6. Last year he was a bit slow to make Lorrettas but this coming season he might have a shot. Right now his results put him on the verge of being bumped to A which would put him way out of contention to qualify for Lorrettas. If he doesn't get bumped into A by the district his plan is to try to qualify in B and either if he makes it to bump himself into A right after or if he doesn't make it to bump into A. Either way he will be in A at midseason.
He has a dream and I want him to pursue it. Right now as it stands if he stays in B he will still have to fight hard every week for a podium as there are several riders faster then him and when he goes to A he knows he will spend a season or 2 just fighting to get a few top 10s. Whatever happens at least he loves being on the track

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
From everything I've seen is if you race the correct class for your skill locally (A excluded) you have no chance at qualifying for LL in that class. They either need to address the sandbagging at the National level or allow people who are actually in the correct class locally to drop down a class when trying to qualify for LL.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
From everything I've seen is if you race the correct class for your skill locally (A excluded) you have no chance at qualifying for LL in that class. They either need to address the sandbagging at the National level or allow people who are actually in the correct class locally to drop down a class when trying to qualify for LL.

year was 2000, we tried to implement the National advancement. now it is in place or starting to be in process. the logistics is nuts, not "everyone" uses trackside scoring, AMA built thier own scoring system...........we won't discuss that.

give national system another year and the advancement should work on the C class pretty well, I personally think a 15 point average is to high to go A, but remember I am a congress delagate and don't know nothin :) .

Top Bottom