MXsouth.com... AAARGH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMcCarthy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2002
I ordered new shroud decals for my KDX last wednesday from MXsouth. I order all of my stuff from them exclusively, and I always get it in 2 days. Well, today rolls around and still no decals, so I call 'em up. They shipped my decals out... TODAY. This, after they raped me out of full retail for the decals, and EIGHT BUCKS to ship them. $8 to send a set of stickers from Florida to Alabama. This kind of crap always seems to happen in the MX industry, and I'm just wondering why we tolerate it. Why is it perfectly acceptable to pay full retail for anything? You people do realize that full retail on a great many things is 100% markup don't you? It drives me insane.

n8MX

Mar 27, 2001
If you are so upset about the price why did you agree to pay it in the first place? I have ordered one or two things from MXsouth and shipping has seemed to take awhile... over a week if I remember correct. This is why I haven't done more business with them, shipping costs are another.

Andy

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
CMcCarthy you say you normally get stuff in 2 days so generally you get good service-this one time they are a bit slow and you go nuts-you need bigger problems in your life if you are that upset about this.As for paying full retail-no one owes you a discount-you have the right to take your business elsewhere.

CMcCarthy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2002
I needed the decals so I could put them on my bike last weekend and deliver it to the fellow who purchased it the middle of this week, and then go get my new bike this coming weekend. All of that is screwed up now, and it makes me angry. Had I not desperately needed them, I would have shopped around or waited for some to show up on eb@y. As for complaining about paying retail... this is the FLAME BOARD isn't it? I have a grievance and I'm airing it... If you don't like it, so what. Maybe this is an isolated incident... but last time I ordered from them I got a pair of quick straps, some Fox Pivot knee pads, and a set of wheel bearings, and shipping was only five bucks. $8 for shipping a set of stickers which will easily fit in an envelope is robbery. Even the ripoff shipping on eb@y is only 5-9 bucks, and this is after you pay $15-20 for the decals. I paid $36 from mxsouth... $42 total.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
He's got the right to say what he wants... he's upset. He was kind enough to mention that it's not normal. I see no problem at all with his complaint. I will say however, that the best of the best sometimes come-up short. The question is, is this enough for him to go somewhere else? Maybe so. If there was one supplier who always did it right, always had the best price and always delivered ahead of schedule... there would be only one supplier.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
local shop discounts are generally given to those that race or those that are high-volume customers. if you don't race, start. if you do, ask for a discount. you might be surprised. don't ask the college kid at the register. ask the parts manager.

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
greatpoint okie, but i get kind of mad sometimes about the length of shipping. last time i ordered stuff off of denniskirk.com i ordered a fmf rev pipe and an ez-adjust clutch perch(at the same time) i got the rev pipe two days later(about 2 months ago) and i got the clutch perch 2 days ago.....it kind of sucked when a week and a half rolls around and you got your new pipe installed & have plans to go riding on the weekend but low & behold still no perch and of course the local dealers say..."we don't have it in stock but we can order it. it should be here in 5-7 days." but thats the way it is so i guess ill live with it.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I've had a few dealings with them. Most of them were great. The only bad one was my mom ordered me a helmet the beginning of december and it was supposed to be a christmas gift for me, I got the helmet I believe it was the 3rd week of january in time for my brithday :silly:
That was an uncharacteristic problem as the helmet was shipped to texas instead of to me here in ohio, don't know what happened but I'd buy from them again. I've had good and bad dealings with almost every mail order bike company though, strange things happen...

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
Eight bucks to ship a typical set of shroud decals (12x15), is not raping you. That is exactly what I just paid to ship a pair to a fellow DRNer, via UPS.

sharp7277

Mar 12, 2002
I have ordered from bob's, GTO motorsports and Dennis Kirk (my favorite) and have had little problems with both. You do have to remember you are dealing with shipping/handling, and mail. I have been in the same situation many times when you need something by the weekend and it doesnt show. I wish local dealers would realise that dirt bikes break down all the time and we need parts on demand!!!!!!! Especialy 2 strokes, we burn up pistons dam it! Carry some top end kits that are over stock size!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!There are only a few its not that big of a deal! If you sell a .40 over CR 500 top end kit to someone then order another one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sharp7277

Mar 12, 2002
I have ordered from bob's, GTO motorsports and Dennis Kirk (my favorite) and have had little problems with both. You do have to remember you are dealing with shipping/handling, and mail. I have been in the same situation many times when you need something by the weekend and it doesnt show. I wish local dealers would realise that dirt bikes break down all the time and we need parts on demand!!!!!!! Especialy 2 strokes, we burn up pistons dam it! Carry some top end kits that are over stock size!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!There are only a few its not that big of a deal! If you sell a .40 over CR 500 top end kit to someone then order another one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

200Proof

Feb 27, 2001
I've had good & bad dealings with MX South - everybody makes mistakes, but I still do business with them. I usually buy from Dennis Kirk though, never had a problem with them.

Luckly my son just got a sponsorship from a dealer in our state that stocks just about everything & I get it the next day using ground shipping and save a bundle on parts & gear.

kx137

Jul 1, 2002
MXSOUTH.com huh ... I wrote them an email b/c they said they would beat anyones pricing. After explaining to them about my local shop giving me 20% off all parts ;but they alwayz order the wrong size,color,product or whatever they called me a lier. Flat out said "I was not getting 20 percent off and If I was why would I be searching for a better deal" Screw them , I will never do business with someone sooooooo stingy as to not even match a local shop who has other costs besides paying ppl to answer phones. I mean jeez after you order the product they just order it immediately after you do and have it shipped to you instead of them. Thats instant profit. Well thats my soapbox.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by kx137
MXSOUTH.com huh ... I wrote them an email b/c they said they would beat anyones pricing. After explaining to them about my local shop giving me 20% off all parts ;but they alwayz order the wrong size,color,product or whatever they called me a lier.

20%? What shop is this, MX Pipe Dream's?

Unless of course you are talking about buying the stuff at "Dealer Cost" then I can understand. If not I would have to agree with the MX South assesment of your "Discount."

kx137

Jul 1, 2002
Do you know what dealer cost is? Upon picking up my parts once at Parts unlimited the guy up there gave me an old book. Most everything was 35-70% off and that wasnt even direct from manufacturer. Now whats a mere 20% from an online store that only has to place the order to a manuacturer and have them mail you the parts. Its chump change considering the amount of business you could rake in providing a discount. The problem is you are used to paying way too much for everything. If you grew up with my father "wheeling and dealing" and are used to getting good deals than you too would be pissed off when some stingy guy wont take off a small percent off some parts thats pure profit anywayz. You think 20% is good? I don't.

Ever worked retail before? I worked at circuit city and when you buy from (polk electronics) per say direct from the manufacturer "accommadation" you pay no more than 30-40% of retail price. This is true of jewelry also. My Grandparents own a jewelry store and everything is either 2x or 3x mark up. So it surprises me that you think 20% is unheard of. LMAO

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Do you know what dealer cost is? Upon picking up my parts once at Parts unlimited the guy up there gave me an old book. Most everything was 35-70% off

As a matter of fact I do, I work at a dealer. No where in our PU cat. is a discount range in the ball park of what you are stating.

If you grew up with my father "wheeling and dealing" and are used to getting good deals than you too would be pissed off when some stingy guy wont take off a small percent off some parts thats pure profit anywayz. You think 20% is good? I don't.

By this comment I am guessing you are either in your early to late teens. Sounds like one of the biggest "Gimme" statments I have ever heard. It also makes me question the logic behind your original post.

Ever worked retail before? I worked at circuit city and when you buy from (polk electronics) per say direct from the manufacturer "accommadation" you pay no more than 30-40% of retail price. This is true of jewelry also. My Grandparents own a jewelry store and everything is either 2x or 3x mark up. So it surprises me that you think 20% is unheard of.

You are equating retail to parts :silly: I really wish you would stop to consider that a little more. In comparison to the ammont of product moved in one store in the entire chain to the ammount of product moved through one online parts provider savings will never add up. When you stop to think of the demographic differnces not to mention that compared to the DB community as a whole you are looking at a much smaller peice of the buying public, smaller ammount of manufacturers and the cost of production any discount you can get you should be happy with.

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
I've had less than favorable dealings with MX South, and Rocky Mtn. has always done very well with my orders. So I'll keep ordering from the shops that are safe for me, until there's a problem.

B

biglou

Here we go again! This is a never-ending, vicious cycle. I understand that a lot of folks live out in the middle of nowhere and are forced to mail order or deal with a crappy local shop. Therefore, the following observation will not pertain to you. No need to remind me!

I have several local shops that either stock, or can get me pretty much anything I want, as fast as I want. If I want something overnight, I will pay the next day shipping charges. Otherwise, I get my stuff in about 3 days. Another very important note, like mx547 mentioned above: Support the local guy who supports your local scene and he will support you! If he doesn't, find someone else! There has only been one time that I needed a part that wasn't on a shelf or I would miss the weekend ride. Not a race, a ride. My main dealer got me that part in two days, and there were no extra shipping charges, etc. Why? Several reasons. Number one is probably because I have spent literally THOUSANDS of dollars through their shop. I didn't just walk in off the street and scream, "Save me!" Second, I go there all the time. I know the owners, a husband and wife. I ride with them, and I race with them. I am polite, pleasant to deal with, and don't have unrealistic expectations. My discount is 15% off almost everything except brands that are limited to retail by the manufacturer (yes, that sort of thing exists). With the prices and service that this shop offers me I would be foolish to shop anywhere else for the bulk of my supplies and gear. The only thing I haven't bought from them is a bike. They are a Husky dealer.

As for MXSouth not meeting some 20% off local deal, I am sure that their policy is that they will meet or beat anyones ADVERTISED price. You cannot expect to call a shop or mailorder business up out of the blue and claim (realistically or not) that you are getting "X" discount from somewhere else and expect them to meet it boased solely on your word. You are an unknown to them. Many people like to think that they can play the lowball game. So you get Jeff to give you 21%, next thing, you call someone else and go for 22, then 23, etc. Bottom line is, most places will bust out a fair deal, but will not get caught up in some nit-picking pricing circle-jerk with someone they don't know from Adam.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Go into business for your self and give stuff away. That will teach those capatilistic buttholes a lesson.
Imagine, making a profit! Sheesh.

If it absolutely, positively, has to be there.....pay for the damn shipping and stop complaining!

Some of you are simply amazing, not to mention lacking common sense.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
I'm going to cast my vote to the local shops. (I know not everyone has one close by) Granted, I know I'm not getting the cheapest price, I like to support my local companies. Not to mention, I don't mind paying a little more if I can speak with a real live human in person as well as SEE the product I am buying. Not saying that I'll never order on-line, but for now it's easier for me just to make a run to the closest bike shop.

CMcCarthy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2002
Actually, I ordered a chain and sprockets from MXsouth and when I told them that Mr. X had a better deal than they were offering, they said "Well then buy from Mr. X. He's not exactly legit, so you may never even get your parts". This was Jeff, the owner of MXsouth, speaking. I did manage to haggle them down within $10 of Mr. X, but that was all. Guess their "guarantee" is selectively honored at best.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
MXSOUTH.com huh ... I wrote them an email b/c they said they would beat anyones pricing. After explaining to them about my local shop giving me 20% off all parts ;but they alwayz order the wrong size,color,product or whatever they called me a lier. Flat out said "I was not getting 20 percent off and If I was why would I be searching for a better deal" Screw them , I will never do business with someone sooooooo stingy as to not even match a local shop who has other costs besides paying ppl to answer phones. I mean jeez after you order the product they just order it immediately after you do and have it shipped to you instead of them. Thats instant profit. Well thats my soapbox.

Are you sure that your 20% off is infact 20% off? Are you sure that your dealer sets their retail price at the SUGGESTED retail prices, and not 20% higher? I've been to dealers that do this.
How does Jeff know that your dealer doesn't do this?
I really think that his claim to beat anyone's prices includes ADVERTISED prices, not whatever price you say you can get it for at your dealer. I imagine if it is not a published price he would want to confirm it, otherwise anyone could call him up, making up their own discount prices that they get 'over there.'

I've ordered from Jeff a few times, he's made a mistake on my orders before, but accidents happen.

As for the instant profit, I don't see why you care? It would take longer to have stuff shipped to him, THEN shipped to you. If he can have it directly shipped to you, then he doesn't have to stock it, and you get it sooner. I would tend to think that it is a win-win situation?

Pretty weak soapbox, if you ask me. :|

Re: CMcCarthy, why didn't / don't you just cancel the order then, if it's no longer important, and get it from your cheaper source?

On a side note, can't you deliver the bike to the buyer with no graphics, and tell him that a new set of graphics is in the mail, that you will give him? I can't imagine the person being too upset about that. I wouldn't change my mind about buying a bike because the new graphics aren't put on yet.

rmxr

Sep 6, 2000
So the guy won't buy your bike unless it has new graphics on it?
You gotta be kidding, let him put them on himself.
May next time you won't wait until the last minute if new stickies
are so important.
You can't depend on the USPS or UPS for a particular delivery date
unless you want to pay a confiscatory rate.
Actually I think Ochster got hosed, $8 UPS for graphics? I just sent
an FMF pipe, 10lb box UPS for $7.50. It's not 2 day, more like 5-7days
but I did not tell the buyer he would get it the day after tomorrow.
Not a flame, just an observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom