MXsouth.com... AAARGH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
About the UPS charges ....
A set of graphics would have been a LOT cheaper to send via USPS... UPS' rates are high for lightweight shipments. I can send and 8"x8" 1lb box via ups for $6, which is $3 at the post office. Take a big, lightweight box to UPS sometime... it'll cost as much as if it weighed 10x more (they are concerned as much with the amount of space the shipment takes as how much it weighes). Or... take a UPS/FED-X shipment to Mailboxes, Etc. and REALLY hosed, lol.

Greenie... that's a point about getting to actually SEE the part before buying it, unfortunatly most dealers rarely have dirtbike parts, you end up buying it before you see it anyway. Support from the local shop? That's a new concept, have never seen much of that. There are exceptions of course, Service Honda comes to mind, but they are big in Off-Road which isn't all that common.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Originally posted by Okiewan

Greenie... that's a point about getting to actually SEE the part before buying it, unfortunatly most dealers rarely have dirtbike parts, you end up buying it before you see it anyway.

Granted I have to pay before they order it, but I can look them in the eye and tell them they got the wrong part IF they happen to mess it up. Sure beats shipping stuff back and forth. I've also been to alot of bike shops that have a bunch of graphics (in sticking with the original item in this thread) lying around. Sure is nice to look them over first, and then when I buy them I take them home right then and there. Just .02 of my personal preference. :)

Support from the local shop? That's a new concept, have never seen much of that.

I am not sure I am following you here. I think you're trying to say that alot of dealers don't "support" dirtbikes? There are a couple of shops here in town that have plenty of "stuff" in stock. It's easier for me to just stop by and pick an item. I am mainly saying that I like to show them support. Help keep them in business. I'd sure like to know they're in business when I need to make a quick run for a .10 screw or something along those lines. In addition, I like to speak with someone in person. It's nice to see a face once in a while. I guess I just enjoy doing things the old-fashioned way. :)

[I edited the post after rereading your reply 1 billion times. I now THINK I know what you're saying. ;) )

Last edited:

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
Originally posted by kx137
...my local shop giving me 20% off all parts...

I get 20 percent of of everything I buy at my local shop,and sometimes 30 percent, depending on who is taking my money. :)

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
I can't stand when people expect a discount, simply because they feel they shouldn't have to pay full retail. Lou is right, you don't just walk in a shop for the first time and expect them to roll the red carpet out an knock 20% off whatever junk you buy.

I'm lucky enough to never have to buy mail order. The shop I buy all my stuff from gives me a discount, anywhere from 10-20%. The thing is, i walk through the door expecting to pay full retail, it really wouldn't bother me. I'm gonna buy the stuff anyway. I guess they're just doing me a favor for being a loyal customer for over the past 7 years (as long as I've been riding).

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I like to support the local dealer when at all possible. The local Kawi dealer here has a race program for it's riders that is points based. You get points for the year of your Kawi, how much gear you wear that they sell (doesn't have to be purchased from them) how many races you run in the series, your results, as well as some other things like how much linear footage of decals you have on your bike/ trailer/tow vehicle. All racers at the absolute minimum get 10% just for signing up for the program with the potential at max points to get a 25% discount of retail on parts and accessories.

This program seems to have ended alot of the "well so and so get's 20 % and I spend more than them here" or the "well so and so get's 20% and I beat him every race"

Right now with my son being a beginning racer I get the Standard 10% because his bike is older (less points) and most of his gear is of a brand not suported by this dealer, could I get a better discount if I pushed some more local dealers? most likely but this dealer offers race day support with a fuly stocked parts van and a mechanic on site. this service allows me to seek assistance when needed as well as reduce the number of spare parts I drag around. This combined with there willingness to assist their racers in moving their used bikes and a few other niceities add up to way more value to me than the extra few percent I may be able to squeeze out playing one dealer against another and in the end reducing their margins to the point where they don't want to see you again or simply tell you to shop elsewhere.

Does this mean I would never shop online? No but the deal would have to be something special that I couldn't pass up before I would overlook the support I receive locally.

It always amazes me how people can go to work and argue for a raise and then begrudge a businessman for attempting to feed his family :think:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I deal with both mail order and the local shops. The local KTM shop is a great bunch and I have a relationship with them much like BigLou and his Husky dealer. There was a time when the local Y/K/H dealer really did me wrong on a large order of parts for the PW50 my son had at the time. Then a few other instances and I had nothing to do with them. Now they are turning things around BUT for such a huge place they seem to stock NOTHING! Some XR parts have not changed since the earth started to cool yet they have almost nothing on hand, same goes for 2 stroke wear items like pistons! Now if you want some flashy new gear or helmet they have you covered :silly: As far as discounts our club gets 10% at all the local shops which is nice but they still are usually over most any mail order price what do I gain except the instant gratification and maybe keeping the money local. So then it comes down to when do you want it? Do you want the instant gratification of getting it now or do you want the satisfaction of getting it for less? I don't EXPECT any discount from ANYPLACE. I decide what I want, shop a bit and then purchase, if it's local great if it's mail order great. The point is not to make the local guy happy or to always get the lowest mail oder price the goal is to make ME happy and sometimes that's done by getting it in my hands now and sometimes by saving a few bucks.

MXSouth has never let me down, I always get what I ordered and for a good price. When I comapare prices I always look at shipping because it IS part of the cost. Here MXS has never gouged me and I feel the delivery time is reasonable. Greenhorn was just on the phone giving me a hard time saying I get me stuff cheap, fast and right because I'm a DRN moderator. Well this isn't the first time and it won't be the last but he's wrong (and he really does know it too). Jeff or anybody at MXS has no idea who I am, their little red light on the special phone doesn't blink when I call, I am just like anybody else that orders from them.

There is a reason companies like Fed-Ex exist and it's not just to get you your item ASAP, it's to make a profit. The same goes for companies like MX South, Jeff is in business to make a profit for his efforts and he sees the bigger picture that making a little off a lot of orders is better than trying to make a killing off of a few. I'm certian he's human and makes mistakes, and he should hear about it as well but, if it's something such as shipping charges or times that he has little control over I don't see the point of getting mad at HIM. Voice your issues to the company that is in business to get the item from him to you.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Originally posted by Patman
Greenhorn was just on the phone giving me a hard time saying I get me stuff cheap, fast and right because I'm a DRN moderator. Well this isn't the first time and it won't be the last but he's wrong (and he really does know it too).

Aw c'mon all of us members know what's up. :) We know that Okie gets free bikes too. :moon: :yeehaw:

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Holy crap Okie, we were on the same thought pattern. :) Very scary! I didn't know about the semi's though. Man you've got it good. :thumb:

B

biglou

You mean Jeff doesn't have a "Pat Phone"? ;)

My take on it is that I would shop my local shop (for the most part) based solely on the way they treat me as a customer and a friend. I do mail order. Matter of fact, I need to put that Works Connection coupon to use here in the next eleven days before it expires!

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I get a 15 to 20% discount also. Of course, I have spent over $25k in the last twelve years with them, so that gives me the advantage over some guy that walks in off the street.

As far as complaining aobut paying retail, I think Jaybird summed it up pretty well. I sell a certain type of safety product as a sideline. If I were to sell for much less than I do, I would be nothing more than Saint Nick himself. That would be rather pointless, no? Some workers get a discount, some don't. It depends on whe they are and how much business they have done with me.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
CMcCarthy, isn't it sort of your fault for not ordering the decals sooner? Sounds like maybe you procrastinated a bit? I mean, if you were planning on selling the bike in the first place, shouldn't you have ordered the decals & applied them in advance? Seems silly to me to bitch about some company not getting something to you in 2 days like they usually do. Unless, of course, you hadn't advertised the bike yet, and someone off the street surprised you with an offer you couldn't refuse. But I'm guessing is you put it up for sale advertising new graphics, or maybe while on the phone with the guy told him you'd put new graphics on as a condition of the sale? I could be waaaay off. Sometimes I just like to pretend I'm perceptive & intuitive like the big boys.

Hey Milk, I was cold last night. Where were you?

CMcCarthy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2002
Okay...
  • I couldn't cancel the order because it had already shipped (I tried).
  • $8 is robbery. I guarantee you it cost less than $5.
  • I expect 2 day shipment for $8 because I only live one state over.
  • I don't "expect" a discount, but they claim to have the lowest prices, and everybody else charges retail or less. Do the math.

Now, All that being said, I hope I've now qualified my dislike for MXsouth.

CMcCarthy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2002
Originally posted by Jaybird
Go into business for your self and give stuff away. That will teach those capatilistic buttholes a lesson.
Imagine, making a profit! Sheesh.

If it absolutely, positively, has to be there.....pay for the damn shipping and stop complaining!

Some of you are simply amazing, not to mention lacking common sense.

Jaybird, don't be a moron. You and I both know I wasn't asking for anything free. I was simply asking not to be raped, and lied to. If the decals weren't in stock, and they were going to wait 3 days to ship them, the could have told me, and I would have gone elsewhere. Instead, they said "We'll get those right out to you". THEN, they overcharged me for shipping. As I said before, the last stuff I purchased from them came in a big ol' box and the shipping was only $5. Fredette has the same exact decals for 12 cheaper, and had I known that I would have brought it up to MXS or just ordered them from Fredette. Well, hindsight is 20/20. So please, don't get all holier-than-thou and make personal insults at me or upon my intelligence.

CMcCarthy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2002
Zio, I made a deal on the bike late Tuesday night, with a condition being new decals and fenders. I ordered the decals on my lunch hour the next day, and purchased the fenders locally since they were in stock. If that is procrastination, then I'm guilty. As I said before, they had always gotten things to me in 1-2 days, so I figured they'd easily be here by the weekend.

Last edited:

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by CMcCarthy

Jaybird, don't be a moron.
You don't want to have anyone to make comments about you but what do you call that? :silly:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom