trailqueen

Dec 30, 2006
I just got a 2006 CRF 250X and rode it for the first time yeterday. Since I want to break it in easy most of the ride (1.5 hrs/17 miles) was straightaways, wide circles and figure 8's. Towards the end, I ran it through to 4th gear and it didn't seem to have much power. First gear had some zing, then it was awful. When I let off the throttle it practically stops just like riding a utility ATV. Do I need to have something adjusted?

I'm coming off an 07 KTM XC-W 200 2 stroke so I realize it will take some getting used to, but please tell me it has at least as much power as the KTM. :ugg:

luckymonkey

Dec 9, 2007
It kind of depends how you look at it. You have gobs of bottom end with the X, but the KTM wasn't to shabby on that. The Mid has a little more grunt and more hit with a little snap of the wrist. Your weight is almost 50 pounds different, but now you have the so called magic button. I have a CRF250R and I am needing to weight the flywheel so I can be more controlled and stall less. To start my bike after its hot is not to fun. You are going to have get use to it.

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
Considering that a 4 stroke 250 is in the same class as a 2 stroke 125(more fairly a 144cc), I would expect the 2 stroke 200 to have more power.

trailqueen

Dec 30, 2006
The e-start is def nice, but I hope I bought the right bike. I did lots of research and the X seemed like the way to go. The KTM 250 XCF-W was my first choice, but it was just too much $$! I guess I'll have to wait for nicer weather to see if the X has any juice. (I love NY but the winters are tough for dirt bikers).

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I've got the X and have had it for 2 1/2 years now. It has good pull up to 3rd gear then tapers off in 4th and 5th. It is jetted real lean so re-jetting is a start. A muffler and header will open it up alot. Until then, the stock muffler has an insert in the end that can be taken out. This lets it breath out alot better. I'm having a stage 1 hotcam installed along with the R piston for higher compression and it will be re-jetted to match. This will make a huge difference to the low end pull in upper gears. It is a 125 class bike and I was aware of that when I got it, but I can ride it hard all day and not really tire out because it feels so light. The 200 2 stroke you got off will have more power then the 250X. In the end, the bike will make you very happy, you just need to dial it in a bit. Reliability is definately high on this bike too. I've had 0 problems with it and have ridden it on the track and trails. When I get my bike back, I'll post a ride report here with how it performs and what was modified. ;)

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
trailqueen said:
I'm coming off an 07 KTM XC-W 200 - I just got a 2006 CRF 250X

What kinda crack have you been smokin?????!!!! :bang:

(just kidding)... but they are two different animals, you may like the 4st better.
I see yer in the HV, we might be neighbors! Weather's not very rider freindly right now aye! :)

trailqueen

Dec 30, 2006
A muffler and header will open it up alot. Until then, the stock muffler has an insert in the end that can be taken out.
Isn't the insert also the spark arrestor?

I'll post a ride report here with how it performs and what was modified
I'd appreciate that.

What kinda crack have you been smokin?????!!!!
I hear ya! I traded the katoom for two reasons - one was because it's no fun to ride alone and almost all the people I ride with have ATV's. The KTM is a harescrambler at heart and built for speed. It just didn't work well within a group of ploddy quads. The other problem was the smoking issue when it was cold. I'm fortunate to be able to ride in my yard. My property is 2.5 acres, but only 130 feet wide so I have close neighbors. They're good folks and I felt the smoke/smell of the 2 stroke wasn't very neighborly. I sure do miss the little rocket already tho. :ride:

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
TQ,
All good reasons,.... With the right needle/jetting and exhaust setup,.. Im sure that CRFX will make you happy! Check out JDjetting.
BTW, I just did a little search on past post and I see that you have talked with some of our upstate buds, and you've received some great info regarding some local riding areas. I have been riding in the area longer than Id like to mention, and yes it has become diffucult to find legal areas to ride (thank to NYS's 'wonderful' OHV division) YAK! That and the fact that it was getting harder to keep a handful of riders together every weekend, I went back into MX in our local dist 34, (Diamondback - Ace - Walden - Claverack - Southwoods) along with riding trails when I can. Maybrook has opened an 'area' for legal bikes this year, but its very limited and usually overrun with quads. We have some 'not so well known' single track trails that we access the maybrook trail sysyem that has served us well so far. There is also some other places that are still accesable in Newpaltz, Kingston, and Hyde Park. I have a small mx track that we have permission to practice on in New Paltz. Send me an email or PM,.. maybe get something together on a WARMER day! LOL

luckymonkey

Dec 9, 2007
Just how cold and bad is it up there? Also, where in NY do you guys live. I live in the center of Misery(MO) and it is not very sunny here. I am just curious. My wifes family lives in NY (Syracuse and a little further East) and I have only been there a few times. It was all my wife could do to stop me from purchasing a snowmobile.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Yes, insert is the spark arrestor as well. I would only suggest it if you are in the desert or a track. I believe the desert is out for you so that leaves the track! ;)

trailqueen

Dec 30, 2006
The weather here has been in the mid 70's for the last couple of days!! He he, eat your heart out!!
I'm happy for ya! I went down to Georgia to ride this past summer and next year I'd like to incorporate TN and maybe AL into a longer vacation.

Just how cold and bad is it up there? Also, where in NY do you guys live.
It isn't just the cold, it's the freezing rain and ice that cause more problems. The Hudson Valley is about midway between NYC and Albany. Syracuse is about 4 hrs north and a bit west of me. Lots more places to ride out that way :cool: .

Hey Shaw520 - I'm abot 30 mins from Ace/Diamondback and 40 mins from Walden. It's nice to have them there to visit, but I'm not a racer (gettin' to old for that :whoa: ). I used to ride the power lines in New Paltz - even parked right at the Thruway overpass, but they've cracked down big time. Too many machines. They sold the property in Hyde Park if you mean the place off Rt 9 (don't want to be too specific) to a developer last year. 310 acres all gone!!! Lembo Lake is trying to re-open (atvny.com ) I went there a few months ago and it's real small, maybe 60 acres. Mostly flat, mostly loops a liitle mud. It's ok in the a.m., but it fills up with quads real fast on the weekends. Then it gets dangerous. Anyway - check your pm as well. Thanks for the suggestions on the jetting and exhaust for the X.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom