zero_it

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2000
Having just dumped my DRZ400 pig-bike, I've been considering replacing it with a 250 thumper. If I do this, I definitely want to get an enduro model with electric start. The KTM 250 EXC was ruled out 'cause it weighs nearly as much as the ole 400 Suzuki. Next choice was the 250X based on lower weight and simpler (single-cam) top-end. Then I went and rode one and crossed it off my list. The tranny just didn't seem to be spaced well for aggressive trail riding. First gear was uselessly low and the gaps between 2nd & 3rd and 3rd & 4th were weird at best. The bike handled extremely well and the motor seemed capable, but I just couldn't get over the gearing. I don't have any buddies with a WR 250F, so I haven't been able to test ride one. Can someone give me an objective comparision between the 250X and WR 250 please? Thanks!

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
I had the WR. Again, very low first gear.......gaps between gears. Felt top heavy and hard to turn. It's a proven/reliable motor though. You really have to scream it to go anywhere. Many guys like it, not me though. The YZ cam in the WR really lights things up.........feels almost fast. If I went 4 stroke again, it would have to be a 450.

highmileage

Jun 17, 2004
In terms of reliability the CRFX is the bottom of the pile for the enduro 250F's. The WRF is near the top of the pile with the 5 valve design. I can't say that either is very easy to work on to check/shim valves, adjust carbs, etc. They both share the same PITA maintenance problem for me.

The Honda is the handling/suspension winner between the two. Yamaha consistently updates the YZF's and forget about the WRF's. (comment; Shame on you Yamaha. If the WRF had the suspension and update work of the YZF this may be a much different story.)

The one thing that has always bothered me about these bikes is the 5 speed transmissions and I think that both share the same flaws, but for different reasons.

The CRFX was a good low to upper mid motor that does not have near the top of the WRF. The WRF on the other hand is more a mid to top motor as it seems you go nowhere unless you have its neck wrung out. Either suffers in my opinion with the 5 spd wide ratio tranny. You can modify either of these bikes to be able to pull the gears or shorten the gearing up to make the problem less noticeable, but there are problems with both. I really think that either needs about 270-280cc and the CRFR or YZF cams to take advantage of the gear boxes.

KTM had it right with the 6 speed tranny (250EXC), but the chassis was meant for the 400/450/525 and non-linkage suspension was its downfall, especially with a very conservatively tuned motor. It really came alive with a big bore kit (305/351). While the KTM romped on the above mentioned bikes with ease of maintenance (valve checks/adjustment, etc), recurring maintenance with 2 oil filters, etc was a PITA.

The bike that I really think kicks butt in this class is the Husky TE250. It is ultra easy maintenance wise (oil changes, valve checks, etc), it is decked out in a class of its own stock parts wise now that KTM is out of the segment. It has a close ratio 6 speed tranny (that actually you probably need to lower the gear ratio on) and for 06' it is 50 state street legal if you want to register it and throw the turn signals on. The 04' had some valve issues, but every one that had problems in our area the dealers took care of with no questions asked. We have great dealers in our area w/ Tasky's in Wa and Bill's MC in my area in Or. There were no issues with valves in the 05's that I am aware of because they saw it as a problem and went after it and fixed it (unlike Honda). Grab an 05' or 06' Husky and you will not look back. They have extremely good and competitive motors mated with the 6 spd and lots of good parts. And actually the Zoke/Sachs suspension is pretty damn good (better than the older KYB's on the WRF, but not quite as refined as the Showa's on the CRFX, but can be every bit as good with a little work) This is another big plus because THE guy that can make this suspension truely special is in your immediate area (Les at LTR). Another great plus is Kelly at Rooster Performance (in our area also/PDX area) that makes a lot of quality aftermarket armor, etc for these bikes.

You are in Washington...Log off the computer and go directly to Tasky's Metric Cycle and speak with them. They have test days and test bikes. Bring your checkbook and your pick-up or trailer, as you'll be taking the blue and yellow bike home. Here is a link to their website TASKY"S

My $0.02

Last edited:
Top Bottom