k2damfc

Oct 17, 2006
I just rebuilt the top end, and cleaned out the carb, and replaced all fluids and such. I wanna know why my dam thing keeps smokin heavily. It kinda only does it when i'm at no or little throttle to 1/8 throttle it puts out really thick white smoke. At High RPM's In Neutral it puts out normal smoke. And by the looks of it, the plug is getting wet. Any Idea's??? I'm thinkin I need to do a Leak-down test. Any other suggestions before I go buying all sorts of tools I probably don't need??

aphelion79

Aug 4, 2007
Is it liquid cooled? I know on automobiles white smoke = coolant burning, not sure how the systems works on bikes yet though :cool: :)

k2damfc

Oct 17, 2006
I re-packed the exhaust not that long ago, and I'm not burning anti-freeze, I just re-built the top end, which means i put all new gaskets on so it shouldn't be leaking. I'd hate to take all the crap apart again and have to buy new gaskets.

k2damfc

Oct 17, 2006
I have ridden it. I had to break it in. I went through the whole process with 14:1 Fuel. I haven't really gotten to ride balls to the wall yet. They kinda closed down the closest place to ride. It sux, now i have to travel a ways.

mkelly04

Jul 27, 2007
k2damfc said:
I have ridden it. I had to break it in. I went through the whole process with 14:1 Fuel. I haven't really gotten to ride balls to the wall yet. They kinda closed down the closest place to ride. It sux, now i have to travel a ways.

Why are you running 14:1?

k2damfc

Oct 17, 2006
No, No, NO!!!! hehe, I put 14:1 for the break in process. I'm runnin it at 42:1 now. Yeah, It would smoke like hell if I kept runnin 14:1.

k2damfc

Oct 17, 2006
See I was trying to avoid a leak down test, but I guess I gotta do what I gotta do. But it doesn't seem like I'm losing coolant or its changing color. So I wouldn't expect it to be a coolant leak, unless it's minuscule amounts. But that wouldn't make sense to have a bunch of white smoke come out. And like i said it only happens from None - 1/8 throttle, after a crack the throttle it puts out standard smoke levels.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Only race kool changes color when a leak is detected! Have you ever seen a steam engine work? Your engine does not require much moisture to produce white smoke. See if you have moisture on the back of your throttle slide,it shows there sometimes. Do the test at tdc and bdc,you may be surprised. Back in the day running engines at 20:1 did not produce a lot of smoke,engines with issues did! High oil ratios make the engine feel stronger in my opinion.

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
Umm, maybe too rich of pilot jet?

If you are 100% sure its not coolant and not tranny oil then the carb is probably running rich. 0 - 1/8th throttle would be the pilot jet I believe.

Does it hesitate / stumble at all or does it run perfect?

How many kicks to start it?

k2damfc

Oct 17, 2006
After riding it for a little bit more, I did notice the tranny fluid was changing color. So there was a mix of coolant. It just took some time to mix into it. When I checked out everything I realized that my impeller oil seal was put in backwards. Thats what happens when you get a bike from someone who doesn't know what there doing.

rockers109

Oct 13, 2002
That wasn't a smart idea to run a rebuilt top end at 14:1 ratio you were actually getting less oil ito your cylinder richening the gas mixer leans your jetting. Luckily with a blown oil seal you may have not damaged your rings or cylinder.

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
rockers109 said:
That wasn't a smart idea to run a rebuilt top end at 14:1 ratio you were actually getting less oil ito your cylinder richening the gas mixer leans your jetting. Luckily with a blown oil seal you may have not damaged your rings or cylinder.

I was going to comment on that... wait, I am. :bang: Running a ton of oil with gas not only puts more lubrication in the engine, but also (and here's the bad part) leans the motor way out. It's really a catch 22. Run more oil and rejet accordingly for break in or just run it normal and hope for the best? :yikes:

We had a slight head gasket leak on a KDX220. It would use anti-freeze, but I really never noticed any smoke that was irregular. After chasing this leak, both in the crank case (yes, like a dog chasing it's tail) and in the head gaskets, I decided to let it ride. Oh, I will have to note that before we replaced the head gasket, the bike would not idle when hot and I could see where the coolant was entering the cylinder when I pulled it down. After I replaced the head gasket, but it still used coolant, the bike ran great all the time.

k2damfc

Oct 17, 2006
14:1 is break in fuel mixture. It does put more oil into the cylinder and lean the bike out. I only ran it in my bike for maybe an hour. So then switched back and after the first 15 mins it was runnin a little rich then went back to normal.

Top Bottom