My black beast (Cr 125) is just too heavy :(

Apr 30, 2007
It's going on craigslist just as soon as I can find the time to write up a decent ad.

I loved it to death, but I just don't have the support team at the races to help me load up (or pick up when I crash) And practicing simply became out of the question since I didn't dare show up at a track without knowing that a friend was going to be there for sure.

I am still a power monger, and need a little extra "go" in my ride in comparison to my 98' CR80.

Not particularly interested in the 150RB, as it weighs only 10 pounds less than my 125, and I can't afford it, let alone it's maintenance.

Optimally...I am looking at a 2002 or newer CR 85 RB, or a 2004 KTM 105. Big bore kit would be needed. Both of these bikes would be at least 50 pounds lighter than my 125.

5'2" and ~115. 20 years old.

Mainly racing motocross, with a few trips to the gravel pits or a harescramble thrown in here and there.

8 on the agressive scale. And pretty nimble/athletic.

Northern MN is my home, but the bike may take a trip or two to ND and SD areas. (My Cabanaboy is now a south dakota man).

My budget for the bike is about 1500 once I sell my 125, and I already have a decent set of gear.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Hmmm, I think that your recent shoulder problems might be making you doubt your abilities...

I was really hoping that the 125 was going to make you competitive with the gals on the big bikes. I expect it would do great for you on the track. A hairscramble.... well, not having your feet reach the ground could be a bitch at times.

Loading the bike in the trailer is a solvable problem. Get a longer ramp. Back up to a berm. Get a cable come-along and winch it up. JUST DON"T RIDE IT UP!

At the track I would expect there to always be someone there to lend a hand. Heck, I can't load my bike into my truck by myself after a good practice session. I just look around and holler out "hey buddy, can you lend a hand?" At the gravel pit I bet you could find a hill or bank to back into that would give you a boost. Besides, away from the track you should be riding with a friend....

You might also want to check out options for lowering the trailer. A common axle configuration is for the leaf springs to sit on top of the axle. With just a little work and no expense you can often mount the axle on top of the springs which will lower the bed of the trailer a couple of inches. If you buy longer u-bolts and come up with a spacer you can lower it even more (such spacers are available at many trailer supply stores). Just be aware that if you lower it too much the tongue and/or rear may drag on driveways and such.

As for picking up after a fall, get to the gym!

Do you still have your Cr80?

Rod

Apr 30, 2007
Rod, you have a great point. My confidence has pretty much gone to zilch since I've very little seat time this summer, and most of it has been on a rather poorly running bike.

The last race I attended (just two weeks off the fresh break :yikes: hope my doctor isn't reading this...same goes for Cabanaboy!) I had 3" starting blocks, and I was barely tiptoeing them, even with a 2.5 (or more) inch rut.

I fouled a plug a couple turns before the end despite my pulling in the clutch through the ride, and holding things WFO for a couple seconds to keep it cleared out. Basically, I ended up pushing the bike across the finishline in order to qualify for the second moto. Then it was a 1/4 mile push back to my pits. It's funny how you always break down when you're on the furthest part of the track. We had options to tow it, but when the organizer saw that it was me (with my broken-ness) I knew that I couldn't hold it upright OR reach the ground with my toes if things started going poorly.

I don't have my CR80 anymore, and I really regret selling it. That was a great little bike! If I did, I would probably be sending the engine off to Forward Motion for a big bore kit.

Another reason to go back to the little bike is that I don't know that I can afford to repair this one. It needs a total rebuild, from the bottom up. New wheels (both bent dangerously - something I didn't get to notice on my trial ride) and spokes, not to mention suspension and jetting work. I've estimated costs (parts only for the engine, and minimum repair/adjustment on the suspension) and it runs about 800 dollars.

Trailer is lowered quite a bit, and my car is pretty low too - the hitch scrapes quite often if there's a bumpy I will check with Cabanaboy and see if he'll help me try lower the rear part (it slants forwards some).

I had some people that regularly helped me out with my bike...but I got sick of being called a princess (and hearing certain other complaints) by one of them, and the others are kinda unreliable/hard to find. For my size, I'd like to say that I'm strong as a horse even if I am somewhat broken...and the gym may help some, but I don't know that it'd help my height enough.

In pushing, I don't get a very good handle on the bike, as the handlbars are somewhat over my shoulder height. I also can't lift the bike, as my legs (and back) are fully extended when I find a suitable lifting point...

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom