Too much smoke & spooge from my CR?

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
I'm still very new to the two-stroke game. I've had my 2001 CR125 for about three weeks right now, and rode it hard really for the first time this past Sunday. The thing runs awesome, but I have a problem.

When I first got the bike, the piston cold seized on me the first day, which really I feel was not due to me since the bike was taken bike after only one week in the first place. Seems to me like the guy before me didn't run it correctly causing damage and me riding it easy for 20 minutes did it. Well anyway I got a new top end and cylinder sleeve free from the shop and they fixed it all up.

So ever since I have had it, I take extra care to let it warm up. I start it up from cold and allow it to idle for a good 5 minutes. During this time, it will usually begin to smoke. Now I know I have my mixture correct at 32:1 but I see the puffs of blue smoke typical of burnt oil. So after letting it idle, I usually rev it up and down smoothly a few times and the smoke is greyish and the bike doesn't want to hit high revs. When I pull out it's sluggish and it pops and smokes a lot, like it doesn't seem to want to go. But after another minute or so of riding like that, it's normal with the powerband as crisp as ever. And after the engine gets hot, the smoke is much much less. But during that first half hour, it can make a pretty decent puff when I hit it hard.

But I've seen my friends KTM 125 do the same thing when he lets it idle. When he gets on the throttle clouds of gray smoke and that popping noise. Like I said it goes away fairly quickly though. Here is another thing, I usually let it idle on my triangle stand but today I let it idle leaning straight up against the garage and it kinda smoked less. So maybe I should do that always.

The bike runs great after that period always, starts first kick and never really dies on you when it idles. Maybe it's just the norm for the "two smokes" but I would really appreciate some advice.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
You are the same guy asking about using boat oil in another post, yes?

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Sounds like you let it idle for too long letting it load up and possibly fouling the plug. You shouldn't have your idle set to where it will idle forever, it should be set to where it will for 5-10secs and die.
Keep a eye on the oil level I'm thinking the right crank seal maybe shot.

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
When you warm the bike up, the crankcase builds up excess oil and you need to blow the engine out. This takes a little while and the popping you hear is the bike sputtering because of the oil on the plug. It's nothing to worry about, though.

helio

Dec 19, 2001
Did you read your plug ? Brown color ?
Black plug with some deposits inside+Blue smoke=Bad right crank seal ...

Check it out.

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
It sounds pretty normal. As said before if you leave it idling for ages it will load up and give those effects... There is no need to leave the bike idling for five minutes before riding it, it probably won't even be heated properly after this time. Start the bike from cold and let it idle for say 30 seconds, then ride it around reasonably slowly for a couple of minutes. If you are going to race it then do a slowish lap of the track then it should be set to go.

That's how I do it anyway....

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
Sounds a lot like my bike. Normal by my standards. If you let it sit and idle, it's gonna smoke and load up until you get on it hard for awhile

Joe

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
Sounds normal for a 2-stroke to me. Even after it warms up (2 minutes is what I was always told), it will smoke a sputter until you blow it out(high revs), unless you use race gas, then it is ready immediately.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
I adjust the idle on my 2-strokes so that it will only idle for approximately 10 seconds before dying. This way I'm forced to "blip" the throttle to keep it cleaned out. A side benefit is improved throttle response off-idle.

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
We've got more or less the same bike and the same problem...after mine warms up it's good, so I consider the 45 seconds of annoyance not worth fixing

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by Zenith
It sounds pretty normal. As said before if you leave it idling for ages it will load up and give those effects... There is no need to leave the bike idling for five minutes before riding it, it probably won't even be heated properly after this time. Start the bike from cold and let it idle for say 30 seconds, then ride it around reasonably slowly for a couple of minutes. If you are going to race it then do a slowish lap of the track then it should be set to go.

That's how I do it anyway....
After you have gone through your initial heat cycles to break in the piston, warm it up just like Zenith says. What he has described is the normal procedure that you can't go wrong with. Any more idleing will cause it to load up and you will have the problems you currently have.

I think you are a little gunshy from your first experience. Not to worry, just warm it up like Zenith has said and you'll be fine. Once you do it like that then you can look at jetting. If you start changing jets now, you will be setting your bike up to idle all day.

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
Thanks to everyone for your advice. I didn't think it was a problem and I figured it's just normal for two-strokes. I definetely am gunshy but I'm getting better. As for my plug, when I take it out to check it, it's got a tannish center to it and isn't black or wet. I really don't know if I like the bike not idling since I trail ride and sometimes like to be able to pull in the clutch on rough situations and not have it stall out. But at least now you guys have eased my concerns.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
:D

Top Bottom