patto3

Apr 8, 2006
http://www.hoppenworld.com/

I am going to start riding agian soon, so I was thinking of selling my camera to buy some bike parts, but after seeing this guys work, it has motivated me to buy a better camera :)

Looking through his albums, I soon realised that I had seen some of these shots before, in magazines adds and on some of the pro riders/teams pages.

One thing I did also notice is that he has used flash at some of the tracks. Has any of you guys done anything like that?
Just thought I would share it.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Yes, Frank Hoppen is THE moto photographer and has been for a long time.

I use flash at the track often, works great for fill on sunny days; say the sun is at the rider's back, and shadow in the front. The flash will fill that area and balance the overal lighting.

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
Yep, Hoppen is a great photog. Just so happens that he is really good at Photoshop too.

I'll have to go and have a look at his site because quite frankly I'm in the need of some serious motivation right about now. I'm just about ready to give up because things just haven't been going really good with my photography for the last little while. I called Canon today and it looks like I will be sending ALL of my gear in for a check up. I really hate to admit this, but I am starting to believe TFS concerning Canon being junk. I spent a lot of money on 2 Mark II's now and they have both been junk. Canon gets 1 try to fix this problem and if they don't get it right I will be forced to either go to Nikon, or just give up entirely. I know a guy who recently bought a new MkIIn and had to send it back because of banding. They couldn't fix it so they sent him a new camera. The 2nd camera was worse than the first one, so off to Canon again. Thing that really sucks is he spent like $5000 on a camera back in late Feb and hasn’t been able to use it yet.

Ok enough of a rant for now. I’ll let you all know in a month or so when I get my gear back if it works any better or not.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Squid31 said:
Yep, Hoppen is a great photog. Just so happens that he is really good at Photoshop too.

I'll have to go and have a look at his site because quite frankly I'm in the need of some serious motivation right about now. I'm just about ready to give up because things just haven't been going really good with my photography for the last little while. I called Canon today and it looks like I will be sending ALL of my gear in for a check up. I really hate to admit this, but I am starting to believe TFS concerning Canon being junk. I spent a lot of money on 2 Mark II's now and they have both been junk. Canon gets 1 try to fix this problem and if they don't get it right I will be forced to either go to Nikon, or just give up entirely. I know a guy who recently bought a new MkIIn and had to send it back because of banding. They couldn't fix it so they sent him a new camera. The 2nd camera was worse than the first one, so off to Canon again. Thing that really sucks is he spent like $5000 on a camera back in late Feb and hasn’t been able to use it yet.

Ok enough of a rant for now. I’ll let you all know in a month or so when I get my gear back if it works any better or not.

Squid, please don't give up! Your work gives me hope that I might someday improve and approach the level that you're shooting. I would bet that's the case for a lot of other guys here that love looking at your work! So go Nikon if you have to, but keep shooting!!! :cool:

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
Wow that's quite a complement Kawidude. Thanks.

To tell you the truth, I'm not ready to give up yet. I will get these equipment issues sorted out one way or another, and continue on. Thing that realy sucks is I have now wasted 2 supercross seasons with crappy MkII's when I could have just shot them with my 1D and everything would have been fine. I hope they can get the focus figured out because the keepers that I do get with the MkII are really good, just few and far between.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom