Neilmartin

Jan 20, 2002
Well i've gone and done it.

In my local dealers today and saw a 200exc being ridden for the first time. Ive been looking for an excuse to sell the KLX and now i've found it!!! bought the bike straight away, gets delivered on wednesday. Can't wait!!!

Do you guys feel any modifications need doing to it? One of the reasons for buying it was that it looked well built and dosen't seem to need any upgrades, but i thought i'd ask in the forums as there is a wealth of info here.

Cheers guys

Neil (Big smile on face!!):cool:

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
better tires [tires fine for dry soil]
stainless sidestand bolt [stock ones dont last long]
non spark arreseter silencer
clutch slave cylider guard and braided clutch line
also the stock brake pads wear very fast [esp. the back]
YOU MADE A GOOD DECISION WELCOM ABOARD:aj:

Speedway

Jan 23, 2002
Congrats Neil, welcome to the Orange world!
The lower rear shock, (heim joint) will need a protector, as the mud flap will wear the aliminum. Erider sells them for $23.00 and it an easy install. You don't want to wait on this, as my 250 began to wear after only one ride. Its an awsome trail and enduro bike. You will be pleased. ;)
Michael

socal scott

Nov 2, 2001
Your riding level, weight and feel for detail will influence whether you'll be content with stock set-up or not.

I've taken issue with, power(torque mostly), steering(slow and unplanted) and suspension(harsh and evil).

The 1st things you should do prior to strapping on the brain bucket.
Apply thread-lock to the upper shock bolt, grease everything(not lower shock heim joint), scrap the rubber and install Michelin M or S12's and a must, DIAL THE JETTING. Very serious stuff concerning the 200.

Jetting: 42pilot/175main/DDK @ #3 groove. Be prepared to order the needle and wait, but well worth it(Sudco.com). I've spent much time researching recomendations and finally discovered this DDK is all you need to roost proper. No ($$) 7.0 slides, okay! Your stock needle will work with the 42 pilot for now, even at sea level. BTW, run 40:1 mix ratio, less black drool.
DDK's improve up to 1/4 throttle performance(leaner, better roll-on power) and I didn't have to go up 2 steps on the main as was suggested?

For a confounding performance boost, chose the FMF switchable CDI(on sale, $100US reg. $400) . "Torque" setting, stronger yet smooth for slick conditions or "Boost" setting for ripping MX power. Simple and cheap, that's it. No pipe can do this and the DDK($5US) is the best in torque improvements.
This ignition will give hyper response, pull hard and long. Equal to 250 acceleration and top-end speed. I was told that I was 10 times faster on the trail after installing this part.

Good luck

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
yea with the stock needle im runing a 185 main and its still a little
lean in 50 degree weather

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I would strongly recommend the Enduro Engineering clutch cylinder guard. You have to cut part of the stock plastic guard away but it's definitely worth it. I also second the motion on the S-12s (I have a front M-12, great combo here in the NW). As for jetting, mine wasn't even close, definitely get it dialed in. I'd recommend keeping a spark arrester style silencer but go for a high performance one, for weight loss as much as horsepower gain. I have a FMF TC II on mine.

Congrats!

socal scott

Nov 2, 2001
I read that buying one for a 250 is the way to go.
Who knows, I would'nt be surprised if the FMF TC II 200/250 or 125/200 units are the same?
Some Reed blocks are like that, I heard. The 200 may not really have enough bikes out there for companies to develop many 200 specific products. The 250SX silencer is said to be the best though.

Neilmartin

Jan 20, 2002
Well I picked the bike up today from the dealers, rode it for 10 mins and already I know its going to be much more suitable for me than the KLX (Although I think the KLX is a great beginners bike)

How long should I run this thing in for? the book says 300miles, my dealer says 15mins then let it cool down, then another 15 mins cool down then its good to go. I'm happy to do the 300miles if thats what it takes.

Any more help much appreciated

Neil (Now smiling ear to ear!!)

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
scott-----would you suggest the same jetting for my 00 EXC 200 here in SE Wis? It's the Kehin PWK-38 AG carb. I bought the bike used and I believe the jetting has alread been changed and am very happy with it so far. I know it has a 175 main, but I don't yet know about the other jetting yet. I'm just trying to get some input on the right jetting for this bike, or at least somewhere close.

I'm running Spectro 50/1 just like the past owner recommended. Some spooge, but isn't that good? Don't want it too lean, right? (Bare with me, I've been riding 4 strokes for 30 years, and because of this great KTM 200, I have come back to the smokers--and still learning.) I'm also gathering input on high alltitude riding with this bike, from 7000 to 10000 feet in temps of 50 to 80 degrees F. Any suggestions on jetting there? Thanks.

Neil----try that stock exhaust for awhile. It's quiet and gives the bike plenty of power. And it has a spark arrestor. Oh, yeah....that cement-form seat. Just put some soft foam in your underware. Has that rain stopped in London yet?

Last edited:

Neilmartin

Jan 20, 2002
The rain stopped two days ago, I think spring is finally here!!!!!!!!! I'm staying with the stock muffler, we have to share trails with horse riders and walkers, and while i'm all for standing up for my rights, there's no point in winding people up without good reason!!

Neil (Still smiling!!)

socal scott

Nov 2, 2001
Yeah Gere, I have the '00 MX/C. You know I got the bike already jetted as well. When I rode it, it was a dog. After trying larger and smaller mains, ended up the 175 main was right. When I droped the pilot from a 45 to a 42 that is, the whole powerband came to life. It doesn't make sense, but it improved through out?
Then the lovely DDK came into my life. The CEK is likely better for tight woods. More linear power. The DCK and DEK change at which point the needle richens, I think the C is richer sooner(less hit) and the E later than the D(more hit). I guess changing the DDK clip 1 position either direction would get you the equivalent of these two.

Anybody?

Neilmartin

Jan 20, 2002
do any of you guys know where i can get the DDK needle online?. I already have the 42 pilot jet and the 175 main, I just need the needle

Neil

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
you have to call sudco
323-728-5407
it took three days to get mine by priority mail
i got got the ddk cek and 182 main for $18 and some change

Top Bottom