My project: 125 for woods, suggestions, pictures...

jesus17

May 6, 2008
Hey this week i'm buying one of the 125 bikes around me in good condition. 99-03 models. There is KTM, Yam, Kaw, Hon and Suz.
I would most like to get KTM but it's most expensive of all. It's 03' model and very good condition.

So i'll buy one of these when i try them all out and take which one i like most.

Than i will turn it to completely woods bike.
What are your suggestions? What should i put on bike and how much does it cost. Most importantly, how does it affect performance.
I'm looking for as much low-mid range power i can get.
Also suggest me hand guards, engine guard and other woods stuff.

If you know for some similar project on this forum or somewhere else please post it so i can see what others are doing to theirs 125 to make it more woods friendly.

I don't have enough money at once to buy all items together but i will buy them all in 2 months, so please suggest me order in which it's best to buy. I guess i'll start with pipe? :coocoo:

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
I was going to do the same thing what bike are you specifically looking at theres alot you can do

jesus17

May 6, 2008
Well KTM SX 125 2003, YZ 125 2001, CR 125 2000, RM 1999, and KX 2000. These are bikes i have in mind. There is also some older ones from which i most like YZ 125 95 model. The bike is absolutely and perfectly clean, all new parts and very very good condition. If it only could be few year newer i wouldn't take a look on other bikes.

Here is the pic of it
Pic

What do you think? My only concern is the frame color, it's a little gayish and it doesen't look like original. :uh:

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
Well, on any of these bikes you should get radiator guards, skid plates, hand guards, a bigger rear sprocket, spark arrestor, a gnarly pipe if you can find one, and this differs from person to person but a flywheel weight, and if you feel the need an IMS tank or similar. Of course this is if you want to go all out... oh and re valved suspension =]

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
Oh, and I did some research it came stock like that... (The 95 YZ)

jesus17

May 6, 2008
jackflack44 said:
Well, on any of these bikes you should get radiator guards, skid plates, hand guards, a bigger rear sprocket, spark arrestor, a gnarly pipe if you can find one, and this differs from person to person but a flywheel weight, and if you feel the need an IMS tank or similar. Of course this is if you want to go all out... oh and re valved suspension =]

First thing i'll try is bigger rear sprocket because it's the cheapest of all. Than the pipe, i'll call tomorow to see if i can order a FMF pipes here in europe. Gnarly is my choice thats sure.
How much does FWW costs, i'm not sure if i should put FWW on because it may not be suitable for 125. But if it's cheap why don't give it a try, than if i don't like it i can remove it easely :nod:

That would be my first mods, i assume next to come are v force 3 reeds if i can get them.

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
And FWW's here retail for about $55 and i think thats about 35 Euros yes?

jesus17

May 6, 2008
I'm in Croatia, thats next to Italy if you don't know where is Croatia.
Next to Bosnia and Serbia.
Well if you still don't know don't care. It's little country where you can barely find piston kit so it's a little hard to get aftermarket pipes and stuff like that. But there are people from you can order what you want and they go outside country in Austria, Germany and get you the parts you want but they can get expensive...
FWW isn't that expensive as i thought it would be, maybe i'll buy it even before some other stuff i planed.

jesus17

May 6, 2008
Not yet but when we enter EU, European Union after few years we will use €.

35€ is about 300kn, kn is our money(kuna)

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
croatia doesnt even have a craigslist! lol what is the recognized language?

jesus17

May 6, 2008
I don't know what craiglist is... maybe we have it but i don't know what it is

We speak our language but almost all people understand english and german.

CRazy250

May 28, 2006
dont change your pipe, usually stock pipes have more bottom end power, where as aftermarket ones are usually designed for midrange and top end hit power.

jesus17

May 6, 2008
CRazy250 said:
dont change your pipe, usually stock pipes have more bottom end power, where as aftermarket ones are usually designed for midrange and top end hit power.

That are pipes for track racing.
Unfortunately i just tried to find Gnarly for some 125 but i can't find antyhing. Only 200+ bikes. Well there is Fatty that is also kinda pipe i want.

125Destroyer

May 7, 2008
Pipe

i just put a fmf fatty on 99 rm125, made it much more manageable(better low, mid, and smoother transition into powerband) and fun in the woods with some extra hp to boot, highly recomended.

Mar 18, 2006
Don't waste money on a pipe until you have wrecked the one that comes with the bike. Bigger rear sprocket is a good idea. Check the clutch out thoroughly. Make sure the clutch assembly is all good. Maybe get it ported and turned into a 144 when rebuild time comes around - which is soon on a 125. Rad guards, hand guards, skid plate. Save some money for fuel!!, and things you don't know are wrong with the used bike yet. Get the jetting good, that makes a big difference and is cheap. You can carry some extra fuel in a bottle in a back pack....

Top Bottom