National Anthem

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
Maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy, but here goes. Watching the All-star game last night (there are a few more flame possibilities there aren't there?) I was inspired to wrie about that particular performance of our National Anthem. I would like to suggest the following to anyone chosen to sing at large national events. First, SING THE SONG. I know you are talented and famous and feel that it makes an event special if you show how many arias you can add to the song, but please, it is our Ntional Anthem, not a jazz etude, just sing the song. Also at these large sporting events the fans are supposed to sing along,this is much harder if you go off in vocal pyrotechnics every minue or so.
Second, I know you are busy being the most important person on the planet, but if you are asked to sing the Natiol Anthem before a crowd and you don't know the words, either take the time to learn them or decline the invitation! This really chaps me, my goodness, if you don't care enough about the country to learn the words, then at least take enough pride in your performance to get the words right! Thanks I feel better now.

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
I didn't catch the anthem last night, but have seen way too many times where these celebrities screw it up. That's sad. :|

YZ Joust

Master of Jackassery
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 21, 2002
I think I'm at the point where I would hand the performer a gazu and ask them to hum the song..... How can you not know the words??? :ugg:

Milquetoast

Uhhh...
Oct 30, 2001
Yes, I'd think they would be better prepared. But, if I had to sing or even talk in front of that many people, I would probably forget my own name. :scream: Maybe they got stagefright?

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Was anyone at the New Orleans supercross? There was a spanish looking lady doing the Anthem and she NAILED IT!! . Made my hair stand up!! Yes, it can be done right!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
OKIE: i am sorry that you didnt see the irony of my joke (well i thought it was) since i am actually foreign!

please accept my appologies.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
:):):)

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Not to mention when the fighter jets go flying over right at the end. :eek:
wow !! Sends chills up my spine.

Mully

ps, Okie, has anyone invited the Blue Angels to DW02 ?? :confused:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
This one would be a good topic for Bill O'Rielly on the FACTOR. If no one objects I'll send a link to his website. (this is not a que to take this political)
Mully, we might be able to get a couple of crop dusters :confused: .

motox757

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by BSWIFT
Mully, we might be able to get a couple of crop dusters :confused: .

...or some of those ultra-lites that fly out of South Tulsa. They could do a candy drop! Better yet, a goodie drop (as in all the give away stuff Okie gets from the sponsers...)

...maybe not, long way to fly in an ultra-lite... ...besides, a new pair of boots dropping from 200 feet could knock you out! :)

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
" As God is my witness. . . I thought turkeys could fly!" - Les Nesmeth - WKRP

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Yes at DW01 there were very few dry eyes while it played. It was amazing to see a group in which everyone stopped what they were doing at the first note and stood til the end. I know the timing right after 9/11 upped the ante but the group there knew what it meant.
Thekid raced a Friday night race right after 9/11 and had the first moto. This was the first time this track had ever played the anthem and after it was over he couldn't get his helmet on fast enough- when I asked him later about it he said it was because he didn't want anyone else at the start gate to see he was crying. Since then I have noticed he pays very serious attention to the National Anthem and is not shy about telling people to shut up for it.

WFO you beat me to the punch from WKRP that was a classic:)

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Old guy; I blew it!! That was Mr. Carlson's line. Les was doing the live broadcast. Duh!!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom