Need a little help to get car running again

Matt_H

Sep 13, 2001
First off its a '89 sunbird just a 4 cylinder deal nothing special just get to work and party wheels. Anyways The fuel pump went on my car or at least thats what I was told cause there wasn't 60 psi so I put in a new fuel pump but you still need to give the car 1/2-full throttle for it to run, and if you take off the gas then it will die. Now as I found out 10 mins ago my dad thought it was my timing so he played around with it. What do you think timing or is it still a fuel probalem maybe my fuel filter?. Any help would be great thanks.
Matt

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Start with the fuel filter. Then check your exhaust flow, making sure the catalytic converter isn't clogged.

Let us know what you find.

Good luck.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I am by no means an expert, but you might want to find how to test your throttle position sensor, and your map sensor. Like I said "test it" don't just replace it and get mad it that doesn't work. I am sure with a little searching you can find how to test those sensors with a multimeter

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
There wasn't 60 psi, so was there like 5? I would address this first and a fuel filter is maintenance that should be done anyway. Had it been sitting long? maybe a mouse nest in the muffler? You don't need to regularly adjust the timing as unlike in the old days there are no points to wear out.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom