ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
I have rode Dirt bikes for 20 years, this Christmas I bought our 13 year old his first dirt bike and we have rode almost every damn weekend since Christmas, my wife encourages us to ride and spend time together but after a couple months she began to get a little jealous over us having all the fun and she wanted a bike, Needless to say I went to the local Honda dealer and bought here a brand new CRF 230 with electric start, the electric start is because years ago she had a very bad accident on a horse and her knees are riddled with arthritis and they POP out of socket about every couple months. I tried to talk her out of riding because her knees are so bad but she is one damn stubborn women and she insist on riding the bike. Last week we went out for a 5 day trip and her first time ever riding in the dirt, everything was going along great until the inevitable happened, she fell head over heals tumbling, she has a sore neck but no knee damage (Thank God) I could never forgive myself if something ever happened to her because I feel like it would be my fault for ever buying the damn bike. We are home now and after the trip I have 3 broken ribs from falling on my own and she has recovered from her fall, do you think I should sell her bike and my bike and just let my son ride? She would never give up riding unless I did just because she wants to spend time with the family on the weekends. Oh and she does not like to go for the weekend and just sit and watch us ride she must participate because she sees other ladies riding motorcycles and she can’t stand it.
Why are women so difficult? Ant ideas would be helpful, Thanks - Richard

BikeDestroyer

Jan 27, 2004
My .02 worth. If you really enjoy riding and she enjoys riding...it's a great family sport, I wouldn't give up on it just yet. If she has bad knees why not invest in some very good knee braces like CTi or Astrerisk. We all take the tumbles and get the bumps & bruises and occasional broken bones, it's part of the sport. For me...I could never give up my dirt bike. Only you and your wife can make the decision on what to do. Good Luck.

4EverOrange

~SPONSOR~
Mar 9, 2003
For gosh sakes, let the woman ride and quit taking the blame for her wanting to be out there. I know if my husband and son rode, and I didn't, I would do everythiung in my power to get on a bike.

The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
I don't fall near as much as I used to and if I rode within my limits (not likely) I wouldn't fall much at all. But I do tend to be a lot more careful if I've already got a banged up part and don't want to make it worse.
DEFINITELY get her some good knee braces, not just knee guards. And every other bit of padding and safety equipment you can.
Riding is a wonderful thing to do as a family - don't give it up! Sounds like you all like it, maybe find a riding school and take lessons together.
And she doesn't sound difficult to me - nobody wants to just sit around while everyone else is having so much fun!
-SusanP.
BBR230
CRF250X (almost)

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I would encourage you to get her some Knee Braces and all the protective equipment you can and keep riding. You broke your ribs and you're not thinking about quitting riding because of that. You're considering stopping the riding because its the only way your wife will. I used to wonder what I was going to break first. Turned out to be my right arm. I still have another month of healing and I am SOOOOOOO looking forward to getting back on the bike, its killing me not to ride. Its downright depressing. I'm remembering that I used to read books and clean the house before my fun weekends away racing or riding. BORING. It sucks to get hurt for sure, but now I just want to focus on becoming a better rider that makes fewer mistakes and falls less.

I say keep riding.

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
How does she feel? Does she want to quit? Was she acting like she was resenting you getting the bike? Maybe the bike is too big? My first bike was a TTR125L and it was perfect to learn on. It didn't weight as much as the 230 does and it is short. They do have electric start models on those now.

I'd give it some time. I know I was very indimidated the first time I was out riding. I didn't even go over any jumps because I was so scared. But I was determined to keep at it and now I'm the one that is always wanting to go riding!

Best of luck.
Susan

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Keep the bikes! You can't stay home because you MIGHT get hurt. I've had 2 acl surgeries, wear braces, and ride as much as I can. The fun and family time are worth the possibility of injury.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
1- dirt bike wreck (actually took 2 crashes)
2- clumsiness (fell down)

I thought you got those details at Reno? The second is a story I'd rather not tell.

ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
At first my told me that she thought she should sell the bike because she didn’t see anyone else falling down but then after the pain went away from the fall now she wants to keep the bike, My wife felt like maybe dirt bike riding wasn’t here thing and she didn’t have enough skills to ride but I assured her that wasn’t the case, everyone falls EVERYONE, its inevitable, She doesn’t resent me at all, she just knows that she is everything to me and I cant handle seeing her hurt. Thank you everyone for all your posts I think we will keep the bike get some knee braces and practice practice practice.

Richard.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Very Cool! :thumb:

By the way, you don't live all that far away from me, if you and your wife want to get together at Forresthill or Hollister sometime, lets go! She'll meet other women to ride with, as there are many here in District 36 that ride.

There is a Family Enduro at Forresthill scheduled in December, maybe she can use that as a goal.

ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
Getmetoca, i have only taken her to Hollister so far, does Foresthill have beginner trails? i was thinking of a family Easter ride starting in sugar pine. please let me know i would like to take her somewher else, we are definetly not doing Carnegie because i just broke 3 ribs there and its not pervy to beginners.
Oh BTW Modesto is very close, i have family there :)
Thanks - Richard

dirt_demon420

Mar 16, 2004
I agree with everyone. I wreck or just plain fall over at least once a ride. I too have bad knees (and have to kick over my bike)and wear braces on both kness when riding. I found the knee braces with adjustable velcro work best. A tip for wearing them - tell her to put strech pants on then the braces then riding pants/jeans. The strech pants help keep the sweat out from behind the knee and help keep the braces in place; also if they do slip she can drop her pants where ever and fix em since the strech pants are on under.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Richard, Forrest Hill is LOADS of fun. I rode my first family enduro there after 3 months on a bike. I'll organize a little group of riders and we'll head up there sometime after May, I'll keep in touch. I won't be able to ride for a while myself, still healing up. I'm also going to ride at Hollister the first time I get back on the bike and test my arm, so maybe we can hook up then too. Probably late April or early May.

ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
Sounds great! just keep in touch and let me know, I need to now find some knee braces for my wife, i think the Asterisk are like $500 a knee but thats ok i want the nothing but the best for her.
Thanks again. Rich

The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
You'll be happily surprised, I saw somewhere Asterisks are $300 for one knee, $500 for both. Its when you get into the prescription type that it gets to the $500 each range.
-SusanP.
BBR230
CRF250X(almost)

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
ironworker said:
At first my told me that she thought she should sell the bike because she didn’t see anyone else falling down.

She needs to come ride with firecracker & me!!! :thumb:

ironworker said:
she just knows that she is everything to me and I cant handle seeing her hurt.

Awwwww, that's kinda what Karl said after he quite laughing when I did my piledriver imitation a couple weekends ago at Juniper Dunes.

Another suggestion, when you give her pointers like what line to take on a section, make sure that you are both on the same wavelength. Karl tried to tell me how to make it up a sand dune with a kicker at the bottom, unfortunately, the line he thought he was pointing out was quite different than the line I thought he was pointing out. I didn't think it made sense but he assured me it was a much better line than the one I had failed on previously.

So after I dug my head out of the sand to give the thumbs up sign, pulled the longer sticks of sagebrush out of my helmet visor and spit the sand out of my mouth, we discussed the "failure to communicate". Next time I think I'll pick my own line, or at least question his instructions when they don't make sense to me. The kids thought it was hillarious - mom flying over the bars, seat smacking her in the butt to propel her just a tad further then "splatt"!

Firecracker, get your darn bike fixed, I need some backup support!!! :yeehaw:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Zio was selling his pair of Asterisk Knee braces at Reno, anyone know if he sold them?

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
firecracker22 said:
1- dirt bike wreck (actually took 2 crashes)
2- clumsiness (fell down)

I thought you got those details at Reno? The second is a story I'd rather not tell.

I know how you blew the second one - I just wanted you to admit it :p Actually, the way I read your post I thought it could be interpreted that you blew both knees as a result of crashing and I didn't want ironworker or his wife to think that riding is so dangerous.

Brian

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
ironworker said:
Sounds great! just keep in touch and let me know, I need to now find some knee braces for my wife, i think the Asterisk are like $500 a knee but thats ok i want the nothing but the best for her.
Thanks again. Rich

If her knee problems are documented thru her doctor she might be able to get custom braces - couldn't hurt to ask the doctor. I have both the Asteriks and a CTI2 (prescribed after I tore my left ACL) - do a search on ACL and NVR FNSH and you'll find more info on knee braces than you can handle. Both the Asterik and CTI2 have advantages/disadvantages.

Brian

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
ironworker,
Definitely take Natalie up on the Foresthill ride and make sure there are several of the other 'local' women there - nothing like peer pressure to help someone along. And go out on a easy group ride - let your wife ride at her own pace while you ride at the front of the group. The designated sweep rider, often me, will make sure she gets up/thru and she will probably listen to someone other than you a little easier. It always amazes me how a woman will listen to somebody other than her husband/significant other - kind of like kids not listening to THEIR parents.

Natty - keep me posted on when you're able to ride again.

Brian

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
bbbom said:
She needs to come ride with firecracker & me!!! . . . Firecracker, get your darn bike fixed, I need some backup support!!!

:| I would really love to. Trust me, it's not because I'm procrastinating. Nobody wants that thing to run again more than me--the weather is beautiful, my knee feels better, and the snow is starting to melt.

But even if I HAD the $700 or more, which I don't, I probably wouldn't spend it on my bike since I got laid off. :ugg:

Got a spare bike besides that trials thing?

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
NVR FNSH said:
Natty - keep me posted on when you're able to ride again.

For sure! Looks like mid-April I can test the waters. You up for another Memorial Weekend shindig at Deer Creek? I'm polling attendee availability and I need a pro sweeper. I want to see the look on your face when I sail down that rocky section this year instead of falling over evey 3 feet. :cool:

ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
NVR FNSH said:
If her knee problems are documented thru her doctor she might be able to get custom braces - couldn't hurt to ask the doctor. I have both the Asteriks and a CTI2 (prescribed after I tore my left ACL) - do a search on ACL and NVR FNSH and you'll find more info on knee braces than you can handle. Both the Asterik and CTI2 have advantages/disadvantages.

Brian
Knee damage is well documented, as a matter a fact she has almost gone for complete total knee replacement twice now :ugg: were not youngsters anymore either, turning 50 in 3 years. :| however we feel like were 20 :) I need another 2 weeks for the ribs to heal then I will be back on the saddle, My Birthday is a few weeks away and I think I might be getting a new 450 4 stroke :thumb: she asked me this morning if I wanted one and all I could do is drool. I think I will let her read all the posts everyone has placed regarding this subject and one of two things will happen.

Top Bottom