Need carb help please!

Josh D

Nov 11, 2001
My 88' KDX is leaking gas out of the bottom of the carb. I am pretty sure it is coming out of the little tube by the drain bolt, b/c the bolt and gasket are intact. The little tube on the bottom is only about 1/2in long on my bike, I am guessing it is broken off? Don't have a manual or anything yet. It was dripping quite a large amount of fuel and I'd like to get it fixed ASAP.

Thanks!

tshs1997

Apr 18, 2004
it sounds like your float is stuck. tap gently on the side of the carburetor with a screw driver or similar. i have the manual for that bike if you need more info.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Float level... Take your carb apart, clean it, check your needle valve for wear (and it probably is worn and needs replaced, replace it before going any further or it will throw off your float adjustment )then check the float to make sure it is air tight and then adjust your float according to your manual... you do have a manual right? :) get one ASAP!

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
5 feet? do you drag it behind or is there some fancy way of wrapping it around the frame and such? :laugh:

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999

Josh D

Nov 11, 2001
Well the good news is the carb isn't leaking anymore, but for some reason the bike was bogging when I rode it last night after taking the carb off. It has never done this to me before. I am able to hit the throttle in 1st or 2nd and bring the front wheel up to clear obstacles or whatever. Last night when I rode it in my yard, it would bog when I would roll on the throttle.

Any ideas what may cause this? I have a cheapo Champion plug in it now but I just got a new NGK to fix that problem. I don't know if it is a jetting issue or what. Sorry for the newbie type of questions, but I ordered a shop manual last night so hopefully I won't have to ask anymore in about a week!

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
Bogging, huh?? How did you fix the leak? Tap the bowl? Change the float needle or resurface the seat? Change the float level? Need to know that and whether it's a lean or rich bog.

Josh D

Nov 11, 2001
I just tapped on the bowl and it quit leaking. It started leaking after hauling it in the back of my truck for a while, don't know if that was the culprit or not. Anyhow, I just changed the plug and rode it, better throttle response but still bogging.

Honestly, I don't know hardly anything about carbs, this is my 1st 2 stroke and 1st Kawi. I bought this bike and didn't get a manual or anything with it. I'm used to my F4i streetbike, turn on the key and hit the starter and go. But then again, it is a Honda :laugh:

I don't even know how to tell you if it's running lean or rich. Here is another thing, the guy I bought this off of owned a shop, and he told me to run it 50:1 mix. My friend with a CR runs 32 or 36:1, something like that. Is 50:1 even the right ratio? Keep in mind this is an 88', hell I don't even have a radiator!

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
lean bog sounds like the life being sucked out of the engine, while rich bog will burble and not want to catch--so to speak. if it was running fine before, I would clean the air filter, carb and petcock to see if that gets it. change the plug first, though. if that doesn't do it we'll go to plan B.

Last edited:

tshs1997

Apr 18, 2004
fuel mixture should be 32:1 on that bike.

if you apply the choke half way does the problem get better or worse?

also cheak your plug wire carefully that it isnt damaged.

Josh D

Nov 11, 2001
Well I tried it again with a little bit of choke like you said, and the top end is back to hitting hard like it should be. It doesn't want to idle with some choke, but it's really strong when you are on pipe.

tshs1997

Apr 18, 2004
ok, so we now know its a lean problem.

jasonwho mentions the carb boot. check yours to see if its split and make sure its not loose.

some other things to try would be to clean the main jet, check float height, clean the petcock, and make sure your fuel line isnt blocked or kinked. while youve got the bowl off the carb, its a good time to check and clean the needle and seat. probably should just replace them while your in there.

my book says you have a mikuni vm26ss carburetor, i also have all the specs to set your float and stuff. i could e-mail you a copy if youd like one.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
You say that the leaking gas problem just went away when you tapped on it. You had a piece of dirt or a bug or who know what in the float seat. If there is more... stuff in there it could be clogging a jet port and leaning out you mixture. Take it apart and clean out all the ports with carb cleaner, assuming that the carb boot is not ripped.

Dawg_enD

Sep 19, 2003
The mix was 32:1 from the factory, but the PO could have jetted it for a different mix, right? So 50:1 might be right?

(Sorry Josh, I'm about as new to the whole deal as you are)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…