poff1900

Apr 5, 2002
I am new to the forum, and have not rode or worked on a bike for 15 years, anyway just got a 89 kdx200, looks good runs good, just done some basic stuff so far, got a service manual to help me work on it, the clutch needs replaced I think, pull in the clutch put it in gear and off you go and the clutch is still pulled in ! Anyone care to give some advise ? thanks in advance !
Dave in Ohio

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
If the bike sat for any length of time the discs could be just stuck together. Ride around and see if they free up. Also the clutch baskets could be worn so the discs wont free up from each other.

slcyclerace

Feb 10, 2002
Use a good guality trans. oil. Seems everyone has their own special brand that works better than everyone elses. I use Belray Gear Saver 80 wt. . Been using it for years, but what do I know? I've only been wrenching for 40 some years. You might also try your clutch adjustment. With the clutch let out make sure you have some wiggle at the actuating arm and you want about 4mm free at the lever. (about the thickness of a nickel..where thwe lever meets pirch).

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
poff1900

welcome aboard. There are several DRN'ers w/ KDX's in the Columbus area. I'm in Dayton.

If slcyclerace adjustment suggestion does not work than you might have to take the clutch cover off and disassemble the clutch. clean up the plates and "de-gum' them if they have been sitting. They could even be rusted if ther was no oil in the gear case.

2big4akdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
I have a 83 that does that very same thing.If it sits for a couple of months or a couple of days, dosen't matter. I've even had a problem following an on the trail break. I've tried different oils, the adjustment is good,and I've look over the clutch itself and all seems well. My next step would be as Kelvin KDX suggested and really clean them up. This bike is a back up and loaner, so it may be a while. What we do in te meantime is start the bike,and warm it up for a good long time, while holding the cluch in. Seems to break lose easier that way.

poff1900

Apr 5, 2002
Thanks to all for the advise, I have tried all of them, I can not belive how clean and brand new everything looks inside the clutch cover of a 13 yo motor, I have not yet pulled the basket to get a look at the friction plates, I need to fasion a flywheel holder or just buy one, but am I thinking along the right line that the friction plates need repelaced ? If I pull the basket is there any thing to look out for, other than worn plates ?
If there is anything else anyone can think of for me to check before I order the $140.00 plates please let me know .
Thanks for all the replies, I need all the help I can get !!!!!!!!!
Dave in Ohio.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom