Phat Jaun

Jun 9, 2000
I just dropped in some heavier springs and after reassembling the forks I grabbed the front brake and compressed the forks several times and hear a small clicking sound. Can someone go out to their garage and try the same thing and tell me if they hear something? I have a race in 3 days and don't want to screw up my forks. I took them apart and reassembled them a second time with the same results. Can't eactly pin point which fork or if it is both since I am home alone right now. I don't know if this clicking was happening before the fork spring change so I don't know if it is normal or not. I am not bottoming them out but am giving them a good push. Thanks.
2000 kdx 200

MN KDXer

Registered
Jun 7, 1999
My RM250 did something like that last winter after the forks were revalved. If I compressed the fork, the first 4" were silent, but then it would start making a scratching noise for the remainder of how far I could compress the fork. It turned out, that one spring would sort of kink after being compressed so far. I flopped the spring end for end and the problem went away.

Hope this helps; Good luck with it.

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
That clicking noise isn't normal. Take your forks apart and make sure the clip is seated into the bottom of the spring properly and try again.

Phat Jaun

Jun 9, 2000
I don't recall any clip for the bottom of the spring. I pulled the old springs out and there was no clip on them. I didn't see anything in the manual about a clip. Could you further enlighten me on this clip? Thanks!

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
When I removed my springs there was a round clip attached to the bottom of each spring. I'm not sure what it's for, centering maybe. It had three metal tabs which pressed into the spring. I had to bend these tabs to make a snug fit so they didnt come off during installation.

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
I've heard the click in many kdx and klx forks, I think it's the spring bowing and hitting the side of the fork tube?

Top Bottom