JRork

Sep 3, 2000
I am unsure of what size and where do I find the hex socket that will allow me to unscrew the bottom plug that is in my sons KYB forks.
I understand that a impact wrench is required to loosen it and I have my air compressor all warmed up but am unable to find the correct hex socket to put on the end of my impact wrench.
Can someone please point me to a possible source as I want to make sure that I use the correct tool for the job and besides, I get to buy a new tool for the shop!
Thanks for the help and ideas.......John

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
JRork,
I had the same problem with finding the tool. My solution was to buy a 14 mm hex tool and a 14mm socket. I cut off 2 inches of the hex tool and used epoxy to secure it into the socket. Good to go.

Good Luck,
Scott

JRork

Sep 3, 2000
Awesome guys. Thanks a bunch.
In you edjucated opinion, do I need to buy a seal driver for these forks or can I install the dust and oil seals in the forks without buying the driver.
While I won't lose a bunch of sleep buying the driver, I just have a funny feeling it will be the one and only time that I use it and I would rather spend the money on something else since my son is out growing his KX125 very quickly and I don't know what his next bike will be.

Thanks again guys........

MACE

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 13, 1999
Buy The Tool

No, I changed my mind. Do it half fast with a split piece of PVC and then next time when you buy the driver you will really enjoy using it because you remember what a pain in the glute it was to do it without the right tool. :confused:

OK, I changed my mind again. Go ahead and buy the driver. You're a tool guy, buy the bloodee tool!

BTW, the driver will work on a heck of a lot of different bikes. I have a Motion Pro myself and it fits both 47mm and 46mm.
http://www.motionpro.com/suspensiontools.html

Last edited:

Marcad

Feb 29, 2000
I paid $10.20 for mine from Wholesale Tool. www.wttool.com

Better hope it comes loose with air. If not, you will need a damper rod fork tool to keep the cartridge from spinning.

The seal driver makes things easier and much faster but unless you are going to use it a lot, I wouldn't buy one. They're not cheap.

JRork

Sep 3, 2000
Thanks guys. I slapped on a 14mm hex socket on my rattle gun and it spun off so easy it surprised me.
Once you get these things apart theres not much to them.
I guess I will order a seal driver since I don't want to screw it up and have to redo it.

Thanks again

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Be careful using your impact guns on the base valves(bottom bolts) of your forks . Sometimes you can spin the base valve so quick and with such force that it can snap or spin the valving apart and everything will fall apart in your hands. Then your valving will be an oily mystery. Just be careful. GOOD LUCK

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Some street bike forks have real big allen heads on their fork caps ,also on their front axles , You can make a cheap tool by weling together two 17mm or two 19mm nug nuts fron a car or a HONDA quad. Just stick them in a socket and now you have an allen socket . CHEERS

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom