Stingray

Apr 12, 2003
I have a 03, XR 250R...I am having problems with it. I know it is cold blooded. I have had the bike for 5 months now and I feel it just doesn't have the power it should have. The dealer has messed with it three times and finally got it to start for me using just a few kicks. My buddy has a CRF 230F and kicks my butt out of the turns. When I hit the gas quick it chokes and wants to die. It feels like I am pulling a plow in the first few gears. When I took it to the dealer this last time they showed me how to fix it. They took off the end of the muffler, not just the baffle but the whole end!!! The bike runs GREAT with it out. I have instant throttle response now. I can ride a willie from 1st to 3rd also. I could barely get the wheel off the ground before. They told me that all I need to do is rejet and I can leave it like this. IS THAT THE TRUTH OR DO I NEED TO RUN WITH JUST THE BAFFLE OUT???? Any info into this matter would help me alot. I love my bike and want it to last for years to come. I do not race, I just ride trails so that is why I got a 4 stroke bike. Thanks and god bless......

Sprintguy

Jun 2, 2003
I would think that a simple rejetting would do the trick. Basicly you don't want the bike running too rich or too lean now that you have a much freer flowing exhaust.

BTW...how do you you like the sound of it without the internals? Is it too loud? Does it sound pretty good? I ask because i have the same bike.

Sprintguy

Stingray

Apr 12, 2003
Don't like the louder sound at all. Sounds more like a 2 stroke now. I bought a 4 stroke due to I ride trails all the time and also like a quiet bike. I got more power that's for sure, but also ALOT louder....

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
You might try the FMF Q pipe or one of the 96 dB end caps. I think Baja Designs makes one. The are resonably quite and will flow better than stock.

maco

Apr 16, 2003
Hondas are known for coming lean from the dealer.I don't thik you should have to pull the baffle to have it run right though.I would probably start from the beginning and check the stock jetting with the baffle in if you like it quite.You need to go through each jetting from pilot screw to pilot jet then needle and main to see if there functioning right.You might try an aftermarket air filter and lose the snorkle also to bring more air.You should have a toasty brown plug running at idle whick is the pilot circuit. If you have to back out your screw over 2 /34 to get the plug brown you need to go up on the pilot jet . Make sure your valves are set right if you haven't checked since breaking in the bike

George S.

Jul 2, 2002
Remove the snorkel from the airbox, get a Uni or K&N filter and rejet the carb with a 135 main and 48 pilot. Remove the restrictor from the muffler (the newer ones are welded together with the spark arrestor but you can get just the spark arrestor from earlier models, '96 thru '98 or so) and if you want to quiet it down alittle get a Vortip from Baja Designs. I wouldn't spend my money on a new exhaust, better to get a large diameter header. I put a 50 tooth rear sprocket on mine which made it alot nicer in the steep / tight stuff. There's almost no end to what you can do with an XR. which is either a curse or a blessing, depending how you look at it. Did I mention hot start kit?

Top Bottom