Need some advice from the ladies, please

ghunter

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 24, 2001
My wife and I are discussing a bike for her. I've been riding for 25+ years, so I have a pretty good understanding of the different types of bikes available. What we are looking for in this post is any opinions on a particular bike for my wife.

She is about 5'6", 120lbs, very physically fit, strong, agile, and has some experience riding...like 2 or 3 rides on a small, old, bike. I have no doubt she could handle just about anything she could throw her leg over, but I want to get her something that is fun, is not intimidating, relatively light, and that she can use for more than the few months necessary for the learning curve.

We have looked at the KX100, and the TTR-100, both fit her size wize. But I have heard the Yamaha is lacking in power, and I am a bit apprehensive about putting her on a motocross style 2-stroke to start with due to the extreme powerband of the smaller race bikes. I don't want her to be overwhelmed by the 'hit' or bummed out due to the lack of low end torqe. But I also don't want her to have to play 'catch-up' all the time.

I can't ride one and make a meaningful choice because I weigh about 100lbs more than her and I'm used to open-class power so they all seem underpowered to me. She's pregnant now so we have a few months before we'll be making the purchase, but since she can't test ride anything, it makes the decision tough. Plus, it's kinda' hard to convince a dealer to let anyone take a test ride on a showroom new bike.

I ride a KX500 in the SoCal areas which include fireroads, desert terrain, some twisty's, and some hillclimbs. We expect that she will ride in the same areas with me, at least for now.

Any opinions or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Gregg and Nicole

Last edited:

Girlrider

Sep 1, 2000
If she is athletic and wants to be aggressive (I don't mean racing but I mean will to use her strength to ride) then I think the Gas Gas 200 or KTM 200 is a great bike. I personally prefer the Gas Gas and have owned and raced both. If she does not want to be too agressive I recommend the Gas Gas Pampera. Seems to be a good bike this year since they gave it better suspension. The KDX is okay but has always felt bulky to me.

Nicole

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Well, the more I see of the Gas Gas Pampera the more I like! I want to ride one myself. They look like an awesome woods bike. Any mx or wide open stuff would show their weaknesses though.

I'll echo Girlrider's thoughts; a KTM or GG 200 is a great compromise. They do have a pretty gnarly midrange hit to them if you're not expecting it. And (everybody is going to start throwing things at me here) 125s are NOT as scary as I was led to believe. If she is athletic, determined and somewhat aggressive, a 125 with a flywheel weight and lowered suspension wouldn't be bad for her at all.

I am somewhat soured by my experience on a XR200 so I wouldn't recommend those but there are plenty who started on one and are now better riders than I. I do think they teach you many bad habits because they are so forgiving. A two-stroke makes you a good rider.

But the decision depends more upon her temperament than her size.

HGilliam

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
My 5' wife just came off a TTR125L onto a '02 GasGas Pampera and it's even better than we expected it to be. Low seat height, light weight, starts easily and has a flat torque curve like a 4 stroke. The suspension is just right for 120-130 lbs. Fuel range seems to be 60 to 100 miles depending on how hard the riding is. If you need to lower it a little, add 4mm to the pullrod length and the rear drops about 1". Push the forks up in the triple clamps til they bump the bars. Let her get ahead of you in the tight stuff and you'll be hard pressed to keep up! It climbs hills so well it's like cheating! She loves her GG!

PS wanna buy a TTR125L?

Howard:D

AnneBrooks

Jan 17, 2001
A two stroke DOES NOT make you a better rider, IMO.

It all depends on what type of throttle response she wants---smooth, or a hit. Two strokes typically offer more hit, four strokes typically offer more smooth power. There are some two strokes that offer less of a hit, for example a KDX 220 or 220, or a Gas Gas 200. I have ridden the KDX (stock, no modifications) and found it very smooth. I have also ridden the KTM 200, and found that to have quite a bit more hit and top end (also stock). Lastly, I have ridden a Gas Gas 300 and found that to be very smooth also, but a bit too much power for a newbie. I don't know about the new Gas Gas Pampera, but I am leery of the suspension. I would suggest the KDX or the Gas Gas 200.

2martin

Oct 26, 2000
ghunter , my wife just picked up that Yamaha TT-R125L & at 5'6" loves it to death. great porportions! You can't go wrong, it really instills confidence.
I would make Howard an offer!:D

Girlrider

Sep 1, 2000
ghunter,

The biggest complaint I heard about the TTR 125 is when you get good enough then it does not have enough power. I saw one at the last enduro and it sounded like a little kids bike.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
The TTRs are ok learner bikes but seriously down on power and suspension. BBR makes some trick stuff but they still won't compete with an 80 on a mx track. In the woods, things are a little more even, however.

Karna&Justin

~SPONSOR~
Sep 27, 2001
I rode an '99 XR200R as my beginner bike for approx. 1 and 1/2 years.
I am currently riding a '00 KDX200. I too, am 5'6" (but weigh a "few" more pounds than your wife). The XR was a good beginner bike for me. The forgiveness was an added delight in many situations. For its size it was heavy but as a new rider I was forced to learn how to get myself (and my bike)
out of difficult situations. WIth some mods you can add power when she
decides she needs it...The KDX was a great change! I received it as a
post-partum present (I hopped on less than three weeks after delivering
our son and haven't gotten off since!) I do agree that it is somewhat
bulky, not to mention tall with pretty bad suspension... but the power is oh, so smooth...especially for a two-stroke! We are arranging for my
suspension to get redone and then I will be a happy camper. In the mean time we are playing around with fork oil, etc. to get the best combo. Eventually, I want a KTM200EXC. It is on my X-mas list for this year but realistically won't get it until x-mas 2010:(

Good Luck!

ghunter

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 24, 2001
Opinions

Thanks, everyone, for your input. While I feel that my wife may move up to a 125 or 200 2-stroke, later, for now we want something very forgiving and small enough that she doesn't have to struggle to get it off the ground or restart it if she stalls. For those reasons, the TTR 125L looks like the way to go. We can always sell it when she want to move up.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Gregg

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Sorry I'm late on this, but here's my opinion. At 5'6", your wife is probably going to feel cramped on the TTR125L. (I'm 3 inches shorter than she is and I feel cramped on those bikes.)
I'd say get the biggest (beginner-type) bike that she feels comfortable sitting on. In this case, my suggestion would be the XR200. It's close enough to a "full-size" bike in height (and weight :think ) that she won't have too much trouble making a transition later on. Yeah, it could have a lot better suspension, but for learning the basics it's hard to beat.

MO-dirt-AR

Nov 6, 2001
my 5'5 125 lb wife has TTR125L that fits her well.....and runs good for her trail riding....as an alternative, check out Honda web page. I saw a new 150cc 4-stroke that will compete with TTR125L in size (honda 150 due out this fall)

KX100baby

Nov 7, 2001
:D Go for the KX100!!! The power is there, but its very easy to learn on. Im only 5' and 95 pounds and its not to much for me.......I dont know how it will fit her???? Awesome bike. Good luck.

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
I totally agree with LoriKTM about the TTR125L being WAY too cramped for somebody who's 5'6" tall. I'm 4'10" tall and 100 lbs soaking wet and it fits me great. THAT should tell you something. Also, I'm not a racer just a trail spode but I outgrew the TTR125L's power/suspension in less than one season. If you are really still interested in the TTR125L, then PM me because mine's for sale. It's got the BBR pipe and some other upgrades. I'm moving up to the Gas Gas Pampera as soon as I can get my hands on one. At 5'6" tall, she could start out on a Suzuki DRZ250 or Honda XR250 or Yamaha YZ250F if she's really interested in a four stroke. Those are all great trail spode bikes and are very unscary for any taller athletic female newbe. She really does have LOTS of options.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I would recommend TT-R125L, CRF150F or CRF230F. At 5'6", there's no way she would feel comfortable on an XR250R, DRZ250 or YZ250F. I'm 5'9" and even feel too short on the yamaha, but the XR and DRZ are just about right. Start her off on something small so she can build confidence. The CRF230F would probably be a good bike for her, electric start would definitely help if she stalls, and it should be better than an XR200R.

KTMster

Mar 27, 2001
A BBR YZ or WR 250F all the way! If you buy your wife one of these bikes you'll never have to buy her another one. That's what I'm saving my pennies for.

I have been through sooooo many bikes that I wish I would have known about BBR years ago.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Repeat after me:
Electric start bad. Electric start bad. Electric start bad.

With the exception of the KTMs, all other electric start bikes are excessively heavy: case in point TTR 225 and DRZ 250. Would you rather learn how to kick or pick up a 280 pound bike? At 5'6", you're lucky to be tall enough to be able to kick start any bike, two stroke or four. It's a PITA but it's all about technique not strength. Plus, bikes like the TTR 225 (I hear the DRZ 250 is slightly more advanced) do not have suspension and handling that would make you happy.

The YZ250F might be a handful at first but you wouldn't outgrow it. XR 250 is a nice calm but capable bike, a tad heavy but not like an electric start bike. Once again, don't count out 125s. They're not as bad as people think they are. I think they're fun! A flywheel weight will tone it right down. Heck, if I keep it, I'm putting a flywheel weight on my KTM.

KTMster

Mar 27, 2001
Originally posted by firecracker22
With the exception of the KTMs, all other electric start bikes are excessively heavy: case in point TTR 225 and DRZ 250. Plus, bikes like the TTR 225 (I hear the DRZ 250 is slightly more advanced) do not have suspension and handling that would make you happy.

So true, that's why I got rid of my TTR 225!

Top Bottom