bigtimejdub

Sep 16, 2010
just started back riding after 15+ years. Buddy has an extra cr250r and talked me into riding, now I'm bitten. Been looking at some used bikes on craigslist and I've found one or two possibilities. One in particular says it has been "completely rebuilt". I am assuming this is a good thing, but not sure. Anything I should look out for in particular? Thanks in advance.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
I agree with Okiewan...fill out the sticky. I have bought and sold many bikes in the last few years and I have learned to never trust anybody. I dont care if it is a 60 year old man that claims he rode the bike twice a year with his grandkids...dont trust him, the bike will tell the story. Check for the little things that most people dont think of replacing...pegs are a good example. If the pegs are worn down, the bike has a ton of hours. Then look at rotors, frame and engine cover wear (boot wear), shake the tires for worn bearings, engine leaks and noise, fork leaks...those are the big ones. Some good advise...stay away from 250F's.

bigtimejdub

Sep 16, 2010
Thanks for the replies dudes, I def. should have been more clear. I am an experienced rider, I am mechanically inclined, but I'm not a mechanic for sure. I know what kind of bike I want, a two stroke YZ or CR 250 that I will be mostly trail riding and playing on a little track as well. I've been looking around in the $1500 - $2000 range as I don't have much to drop on a new toy right now..just something to get out on, and maybe learn to do some mods, etc. maybe even some rebuilds.

That said, I feel a bit "unarmed" looking for bikes. I have a buddy who knows his stuff pretty well and I'll take him along when I go look at anything if at all possible; however, I'd like to get as much advice as possible. When I see things like "complete professional engine rebuild", I'm not sure what to think. On a 2003 model bike I would think that things need to be rebuilt at some point, but is this a good thing or bad thing?

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
If done right, it's probably a good thing. But, you'll never know if it was done right until you own it a little while or tear down the engine and inspect. It's a good idea to buy a gasket set when you buy a used bike. Pull the cylinder and inspect and measure the piston, cylinder and rings and rod. Pull the side covers and see if there is any play in the crank bearings. If everything is good, put it back together and you're out $40 in gasket set. If something is bad, replace it and you're good to go. But honestly, on a two stroke, the engine is the easy part. It's the fork seals, shock, brakes, cables, sprockets, chains, bushings and etc that add up unexpectedly. Of course, you can visually inspect most of those fairly well before buying.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
If you are mostly trail riding, you may want to reconsider buying a YZ or CR motocross bike. These days, there are so many other bikes to choose from than there was 15 years ago. I rode a YZ400F on the trail for a while...you can work around alot of the issues of a motocross bike not being set up for trail riding, but the big issue is gearing. Motocross bike's 1st gear is too tall and the others are too closely spaced to be an ideal trail bike. Another issue with the 250 MX bikes is that they drink fuel and they have small gas tanks, so your range is limited unless you want to invest in a $300 oversized tank. I sold the YZ and bought a WR and it is much more suited for the trail. The WR could also handle some occasional MX if I chose to do so. Inform yourself...read about different bikes on this site and take your friend to buy the bike. As far as trusting if an engine has been completely rebuilt...they should have receipts to prove it. If they dont have receipts, just assume it was never rebuilt. I am on Craigslist everyday and you would be surprised how many bikes are advertised as having "completely rebuilt engines", but if you contact them, most dont have the receipts...I wonder why.

Last edited:
Top Bottom